The quarterly and annual royal tallies 2019 to the present

Started by TLLK, May 28, 2019, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Thread dedicated to the quarterly and  annual engagements tally for the British Royal Family[/font][/u][/b]  :crown:

(Technically it is not mid year on the calendar, but with the QEII often on hiatus during August and much of September this seemed like a fitting "mid year" point.) :Jen:

(Numbers are gathered from the ongoing tally based upon the Court Circular which is compiled by a member from the big discussion board.) :)

From January 1, 2019 through May 23, 2019 here is the tally. Working members are in order of the line of succession with their spouses and at the end I've included the retired DoE, along with Princess Eugenie and Prince Michael of Kent who do not have a full time role but do the occasional engagement on behalf of the monarch.)
QEII-101, PoW-257, DssoC-134, DoCam-102, DssoCam-53, DoS-68, DssoS-35, DoY-135, EoW-124, CoW-96, PR-214, CTL-13, DoG-70, DssoG-30, DoK-86, PA-25. Retired or not a working member-DoE-2, PE-3, PMK-2.

Charles and Anne are in the 200's. Andrew, Camilla, Edward, William and QEII are in the 100's with the rest of the family in double digits at this sort of "mid-year" point. Focus IMO still is on those born into the BRF (in Italics) having a greater number with their spouses in a supporting role. The highest numbers are still concentrated with QEII and the DoE's children having the greatest number of engagements. Personally, I believe this is what QEII wants during her reign.

June is always a busier month with the annual Garter Service, Trooping the Color, Royal Ascot. Also there is the upcoming Spring State Visit but surprisingly no mention yet of a Fall State Visit. I do wonder if government declined to issue an invitation for the fall due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations? There is also the Seventy-Fifth D Day landings anniversary which will see royal participation with QEII present as the UK's HoS. Of course the family will continue with their ongoing domestic and foreign visits on behalf of the monarch and government as well as visits to  their charities and patronages.

Blue Clover

TLLK

Thanks @Blue Clover. Looking forward to a busy June with the BRF and throughout the rest of the year for 2019.

Princess Cassandra

Thanks TLLK for your time and efforts in researching!  This is my favorite time of year, especially when there is a state visit! Many of the visits in the stats are not covered by the press; for example, the Gloucester and Sussex engagements. How I wish they were!

TLLK

Coming up to the end of the ninth month of the year so we're more or less three quarters of the way through 2019.

(Numbers are gathered from the ongoing tally based upon the Court Circular which is compiled by a member from the big discussion board.)
From Jan. 1, 2019-Sept. 26, 2019: QEII-195, PoW-390, DssoC-185, DoCam-142, DssoCam-77, DoS-123, DssoCamS-51, DoY-250, EoW-230, CoW-166, PR-369, TL-20, DoG-148, DssoG-53, DoK-160 and PA-55.

Most BRF engagements wrap up in the first three weeks of December so that would be the end of the year just before Christmas.

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on May 28, 2019, 04:14:39 PM
(Technically it is not mid year on the calendar, but with the QEII often on hiatus during August and much of September this seemed like a fitting "mid year" point.) :Jen:

(Numbers are gathered from the ongoing tally based upon the Court Circular which is compiled by a member from the big discussion board.) :)

From January 1, 2019 through May 23, 2019 here is the tally. Working members are in order of the line of succession with their spouses and at the end I've included the retired DoE, along with Princess Eugenie and Prince Michael of Kent who do not have a full time role but do the occasional engagement on behalf of the monarch.)
QEII-101, PoW-257, DssoC-134, DoCam-102, DssoCam-53, DoS-68, DssoS-35, DoY-135, EoW-124, CoW-96, PR-214, CTL-13, DoG-70, DssoG-30, DoK-86, PA-25. Retired or not a working member-DoE-2, PE-3, PMK-2.

Charles and Anne are in the 200's. Andrew, Camilla, Edward, William and QEII are in the 100's with the rest of the family in double digits at this sort of "mid-year" point. Focus IMO still is on those born into the BRF (in Italics) having a greater number with their spouses in a supporting role. The highest numbers are still concentrated with QEII and the DoE's children having the greatest number of engagements. Personally, I believe this is what QEII wants during her reign.

June is always a busier month with the annual Garter Service, Trooping the Color, Royal Ascot. Also there is the upcoming Spring State Visit but surprisingly no mention yet of a Fall State Visit. I do wonder if government declined to issue an invitation for the fall due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations? There is also the Seventy-Fifth D Day landings anniversary which will see royal participation with QEII present as the UK's HoS. Of course the family will continue with their ongoing domestic and foreign visits on behalf of the monarch and government as well as visits to  their charities and patronages.

I don't think the Queen has rules that the spouses don't work as much. A supporting role should include work not a lack of it IMO. That is not in the least Support as far as I'm concerned.

THe Duchess of Cornwall has had issues with humid and hot conditions and does not stay for tours and she never had really high numbers. She is in her early seventies and has not had the lifetime of work as a royal that Charles has had.

The Duchess of Cambridge always tended to have low work numbers even before the children came along. I don't think the Queen"told her" not to work as much to "support" her husband. The Queen's husband did work hard as a consort, he was not "born into" the immediate family.

I think it is more what Kate wants or does not want to do. I can't see the queen ordering Kate not to work to give support. Kate will someday be Queen Consort and I don't think the Queen should be "credited" with keeping her from working more.

Princess Anne IMO had not "requirement" to do all that work. It was her choice and she has remained active.

Princess Cassandra

I still contend that this is not comparing apples to apples. Some royals spend more time on research, preparation, and building their organizations and projects than others. The Prince of Wales does it all and is in a place of his own; not only does he have a lot of engagements, but he also does tons of research and preparation and is constantly developing new projects. 

sandy

It was always known from the get go that Camilla would not have the high numbers. Lately she has had to leave tours because of her discomfort in sunny and humid places.  It was highly doubtful that she could keep the same pace as Prince Charles. Charles remarried someone slightly older not a young woman who would do more work.

I think Charles does research and work and does not sail along on being told he "works behind the scenes." I think the Cambridges who are the future of the monarchy and are not kids anymore should be doing more.

TLLK

Good point @Princess Cassandra. Taking into consideration that QEII, her cousins and her children have dozens or even hundreds of patronages/charities and military appointments gathered over the decades, it would be reasonable to expect that they have more engagements with those organizations throughout the year. By contrast QEII's grandchildren have far less. More patronages=more engagements per year. :nod:

sandy

William and Harry and their wives are the only ones expected to do a full plate. Not all her grandchildren. Peter and Zara have relatively private lives. It is doubtful James and Louise will be given any work loads. And Charles does not want Bea and Eugenie to be in the scaled down monarchy.

Since Camilla may as the years go by scale down even more, the grandchildren would need to take up the slack. It is important especially for Kate and William to take on more work.

TLLK

@sandy-Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are not part of the working royals who represent QEIi. Why would you bring them into the discussion as I didn't include them in my ninth month tally? :blank:

Double post auto-merged: September 29, 2019, 09:57:04 PM

QEII's grandchildren have been increasing their number of patronages and charities since becoming full time royals and are continuing to represent the monarch and the government on domestic and foreign engagements.

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 29, 2019, 09:34:08 PM
I still contend that this is not comparing apples to apples. Some royals spend more time on research, preparation, and building their organizations and projects than others. The Prince of Wales does it all and is in a place of his own; not only does he have a lot of engagements, but he also does tons of research and preparation and is constantly developing new projects.

Actually, although Charles does read a lot (though not tabloid newspapers) he doesn't do the research and development of projects and schemes himself. He has a large team of staffers and aides at CH who do it.

Bios on Charles are replete with stories of his ringing his staff in the middle of the night and on days off etc, asking how much they have done on various projects. He's a hard worker but research etc. No!

sandy

Charles has often asked for advice from"gurus" over the years about his various projects.

Quote from: TLLK on September 29, 2019, 09:54:23 PM
@sandy-Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie are not part of the working royals who represent QEIi. Why would you bring them into the discussion as I didn't include them in my ninth month tally? :blank:

Double post auto-merged: September 29, 2019, 09:57:04 PM

QEII's grandchildren have been increasing their number of patronages and charities since becoming full time royals and are continuing to represent the monarch and the government on domestic and foreign engagements.

Because you mentioned the Queen's Grandchildren. I pointed out that WIll and Harry would be the ones expected to work.

TLLK

@sandy-But I didn't include them in the tally numbers because they are not part of the working royals and never have been. Why would you think that I included non-working members in a thread devoted to those who undertake official duties. :blank:
I am truly puzzled.
Oh well. As the year goes on we will see more overseas visits and yours along with the usual domestic visits and national events like Remembrance Day. I don't believe that another state visit will occur due to Brexit deadline approaching.

sandy

I mentioned why in prior post. It also to me illustrates the need for the two Princes to step up since none of the cousins have been designated to do royal work.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 29, 2019, 10:05:34 PM
Actually, although Charles does read a lot (though not tabloid newspapers) he doesn't do the research and development of projects and schemes himself. He has a large team of staffers and aides at CH who do it.

Bios on Charles are replete with stories of his ringing his staff in the middle of the night and on days off etc, asking how much they have done on various projects. He's a hard worker but research etc. No!

Also the various military units,  charities and patronages determine what type of event they'd like their royal patrons to attend: meeting, gala fundraiser, sporting match, regimental dinner, workshop etc...and then work with the royals' individual offices/secretaries to schedule their event. So there is a great deal  of planning, preparation and coordination that is happening months in advance of the event. Obviously annual events will typically occur around the same time of year: ie Wimbledon tournament or Christmas Carol Concert.

LouisFerdinand

Do you think Prince Charles calls his staff on Sundays to inquire about their progress on projects?

Curryong

Yes. Charles does not research his projects and/or new causes himself. That's made perfectly clear in new bios on him, and in articles over the years. He calls his staff any days and evenings when they are off duty if he's been musing about something to do with his work and wants answers. Saturdays, Sundays, makes no difference.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on September 29, 2019, 09:42:44 PM
Good point @Princess Cassandra. Taking into consideration that QEII, her cousins and her children have dozens or even hundreds of patronages/charities and military appointments gathered over the decades, it would be reasonable to expect that they have more engagements with those organizations throughout the year. By contrast QEII's grandchildren have far less. More patronages=more engagements per year. :nod:
Yes, plus the Cambridge and Sussex couples are taking an active and directive role in the development of their respective foundations and projects. They have staff, of course, but it is well known that they are all very involved and knowledgeable in their charities.

Double post auto-merged: October 01, 2019, 04:20:09 AM

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 30, 2019, 11:59:30 PM
Do you think Prince Charles calls his staff on Sundays to inquire about their progress on projects?
I have heard that he does. However, it is a fact that he works deep into the night on reading and paperwork for his projects. And he initiates so many and still has ideas for more.

TLLK

Here is the an end of the year summary based upon the one at the big royal forum. While Tim O'Donovan's is the most publicized one, there are other people who keep their own tallies so their numbers might not necessarily match O'Donovan's. This person uses the Court Circular for their information.

For 2019- From QEII-PssA
QEII-293, PoW-544 (added today's engagement), DssoC-248, DoC-240, DssoCam-130, DoS-162, DssoS-65 (maternity leave year), DoY-300, EoW-319, CoW-250, PssR-517, TL-50, DoG-230, DssoG-83, DoK-209, PssA-63.

TLLK

The Gert's royals tally which is counted differently than Mr. O'Donovan's or the one at TRF. This is just for the Cambridges and Sussexes.

Gert's Royals: Annual Tally of Engagements for William, Kate, Harry & Meghan

QuoteHow I Keep Count of Engagements
Contrary to popular belief, there is NO official count released by the Palace and NO official rules on how exactly engagements on the Court Circular (CC) should be counted.

My count will be different than other people's. I do include somethings not on the CC, but since I don't "double count" engagements, my count is often lower than others.

How you count an engagement is probably the biggest reason people have different counts. (And is also why a number of news sites have switched to counting the number of days worked instead.)

William-188, Catherine-120, Harry-121, Meghan-54.

TLLK

Apologies as I realized I'd looked at the wrong tally table for Meghan's numbers according to Gerts' Royals tally.  That should be 71 for her this year.

Curryong

I've just realised, it's nearly the end of the year and I haven't seen Mr O' Donavon's engagement tally for the Royal year. Have I missed it? Is it due out on Tuesday, or what?

TLLK

Mr. O'Domovan's tally has not been released yet. Perhaps it will be here early next week.

Curryong

Thanks TLLK. I enjoy seeing Mr O'Donavon's yearly tally each December. He might not be doing it for too much longer.