Charles and Camilla Tour of Canada 2014

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 11, 2014, 10:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

It seems to me that there are more than usual, but there was a lull last year after the Windsor World Tours of 2012.

cate1949

are not the tours linked to the WWI commemorative events?  So there will then be a lot more of them - and multiple visits.  Harry and Will for example - will be going back to Australia in a year for Gallipoli commemorations.  There will be multiple voists to France and Belgium too.  So I think it is more than usual but because of these anniversaries.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will hold a reception for Canadians living and working in the UK prior to their upcoming visit to Canada. The reception will take place in the St James's Palace State Apartments, London.

Over 100 Canadians will be in attendance at the reception and will include guests from business, sport, entertainment, charity and the media. The Canadian High Commissioner, His Excellency Gordon Campbell, will also be present.

Macrobug

I was just on the POW official website and I am a tad bit annoyed.  On the page announcing the Canadian visit is a lovely photo of the Rockies.   They are going to the Maritimes and Winnipeg.  Clear across the country.  Surely someone could have came up with a photo of Green Gables??
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

I think you should write and let them know, Macrobug.  They probably would appreciate it.  Isn't there a place where you can send emails?  Or maybe on their Twitter feed?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

That is an excellent idea, Cindy!  :goodpost:  :thumbsup:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on May 12, 2014, 04:22:11 PM
I was just on the POW official website and I am a tad bit annoyed.  On the page announcing the Canadian visit is a lovely photo of the Rockies.   They are going to the Maritimes and Winnipeg.  Clear across the country.  Surely someone could have came up with a photo of Green Gables??
OMG I cannot believe that they used the Rockies!!!

Lothwen

You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Macrobug

Yep.  Some of those visits can't be more than 10 - 20 minutes.  There is lots of driving in between.  For example, it is a 40 min drive from Bonshaw Park to the airport and Charles only has 75 minutes to visit the park and get to the plane.
GNU Terry Pratchett

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteNext Tuesday evening the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will touch down in Winnipeg for the final leg of their 2014 Canadian visit. It appears that the couple's two days in Winnipeg will be packed full of activities.

Not only will the Duchess of Cornwall be treated to a private performance by members of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet but her husband, Prince Charles, will also come face to face with one of Winnipeg's most famous residents, Hudson the polar bear.
More: Manitoba ready to welcome Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall | Royal Central

PrincessOfPeace

Nova Scotia readies for royal visit

QuoteNova Scotians who wish to see Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall in person will have the opportunity to attend a number of public events on Monday May 19th in Halifax Regional Municipality and Pictou.

Governor General David Johnston, Premier Stephen McNeil and other dignitaries will officially welcome Prince Charles and The Duchess at Grand Parade, Halifax at 10am on Monday. There will be a 21 gun salute, a guard of honour from the Canadian Armed Forces, an aboriginal blessing and a band and choir performance.

The official party and The Prince of Wales will say a few words before the royal couple lay a wreath at the cenotaph and sign a guest book. The couple will then perform a walkabout. This will be the only time that The Prince of Wales will give remarks during his stay in the province.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper welcomed The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to Canada in 2009.
More: Nova Scotia readies for royal visit | Royal Central

cinrit

QuoteThe Prince of Wales Talks to CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos  (Video)

A preview from a special programme made by the Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC/Radio-Canada) to mark Their Royal Highnesses' overseas tour to Canada which commences Sunday 18th May 2014.

This CBC special programme, titled: HRH The Prince of Wales: The Conversation with George Stroumboulopoulos.

His Royal Highness is interviewed by Canadian presenter George Stroumboulopoulos – a Canadian television and radio personality – and talks about his charity work, public service and his personal connection to Canada.

More: The Prince of Wales talks to CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

George Stroumboulopoulos is fair but wouldn't give the Prince of Wales a pass with easy questions.

Double post auto-merged: May 17, 2014, 02:06:13 PM

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will begin their Canadian tour in Halifax on Sunday May 18th.

Not surprisingly, with a visit of this significance comes a lot of planning and attention to detail.

Lane Farguson of the Halifax Port Authority said, " As you can imagine it has been a very busy few weeks since we found out the Royal couple would be here, we are doing our best to make sure the property is in tip top shape".

The Mounties will be accompanying the couple on each stop of their tour and Sgt Alain LeBlanc said, "It's a balance, you know, between ensuring their protection yet also respecting the rights of the public to take photos and possibly talk to them too".

City staff are busy prepping the Public Gardens in downtown Halifax, where Prince Charles will plant an English oak tree adjacent to the oak tree planted by his Grandfather, King George VI, 75 years ago. HRM Urban forester John Simmons said, "We've condensed the work we do in a month and a half in to two weeks. Everything is looking good, we'll have to cut the grass prior to the arrival".
More: Preparations underway in Halifax ahead of Royal Visit | Royal Central

Macrobug

Usually George is pretty hard hitting but in this case the questions were preapproved. :shrug:

I have been looking for the interview on the CBC site but I guess it isn't released yet.
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

AAHH the RCMP :blowkiss: IMVHO the best looking uniforms in the Commonwealth.

Macrobug

^ especially during the musical ride. Stunning!  :happycanada:

Royal visit 2014: How Prince Charles is forging his own ties to Canada - Canada - CBC News

Double post auto-merged: May 17, 2014, 07:50:49 PM

Royal visit: Prince Charles to make 17th trip to Canada | CTV News
GNU Terry Pratchett

Orchid

Quote from: Macrobug on May 17, 2014, 04:46:05 PM
Usually George is pretty hard hitting but in this case the questions were preapproved. :shrug:

I'd think any pre-approval of questions steers an interview into well controlled PR grounds rather than honest reporting.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Limabeany

CBC Preview

Double post auto-merged: May 18, 2014, 09:06:44 PM

Preview

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

PM announces the appointment of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to the Queen's Privy Council for Canada

QuotePrime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the appointment of His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to the Queen's Privy Council for Canada. His Royal Highness was sworn in as a Privy Councillor during an audience with His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, at Government House, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Privy Councillors are members of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, established under the Constitution Act, 1867 to advise the Government of Canada. The Privy Council includes all past and present Ministers, as well as a number of select persons honoured for their contributions to Canada. Members are appointed by the Governor General on the recommendation of the Prime Minister.
More: PM announces the appointment of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to the Queen?s Privy Council for Canada | Prime Minister of Canada

QuoteThe Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will arrive in Canada Sunday for a four-day visit.

During the trip, Prince Charles and Camilla will travel to Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

This royal tour marks the 150th anniversary of the 1864 conferences in Charlottetown and Quebec City that led to the creation of the Dominion of Canada, and the 100th anniversary of First World War. The visit also celebrates the anniversary of Queen Victoria's birthday.
Related Stories
Here's a look at his Canadian homecomings over the years:
More: Royal visit: Prince Charles to make 17th trip to Canada | CTV News

Macrobug

Quote from: Orchid on May 18, 2014, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: Macrobug on May 17, 2014, 04:46:05 PM

I'd think any pre-approval of questions steers an interview into well controlled PR grounds rather than honest reporting.

Yep.  I would love a no hold back interview by Stroumie.  It would be interesting to see how PC would do.

Double post auto-merged: May 19, 2014, 01:25:14 AM

Prince Charles, Camilla arrive in Halifax for 4-day tour - Canada - CBC News
Royal tour: Prince Charles, Camilla land in Halifax to start four-day Canada visit | CTV News

I say.  PC is looking particularly dapper with his mixing of patterns.  Fab.  Just fab!   :blowkiss:
GNU Terry Pratchett

PrincessOfPeace

I think the Prince of Wales deserves more than one thread

PrincessOfPeace

QuotePrince Charles and his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, arrived in Canada tonight on a break-neck tour of the country.

The royal couple will visit three provinces, six towns and cities and undertake a staggering 41 engagements in just three days.

The heir to throne is notorious for the pace of his foreign trips on behalf of the UK government, packing more into them than any other member of the Royal Family.

But this latest trip to Canada - his 17th to the country where his mother, the Queen, is still head of state - is challenging by even his standards.

Charles and Camilla arrived on a Canadian Air Force Jet in Halifax tonight where they were greeted at the international airport by dignitaries and then met with the Governor General, the monarch's representative in the country.
More: Charles and Camilla arrive in Canada for whistlestop tour of three provinces, six towns and 41 stops in just three days | Mail Online