Danish Monarchy Current Events and News Part 2

Started by sara8150, December 31, 2023, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristeh-H

A dignified and moving ceremony.  It was touching to see the love and support of the Danish citizens.  May Queen Margrethe enjoy a well-earned long and happy retirement.  Congratulations to the new King Frederik X and Queen Mary.  I'm sure they will do a wonderful job.

Curryong

It all seemed very strange to see Queen Margrethe (swathed in furs, it looked as if it was snowing and mightily cold) walking behind the new King and Queen and, with her son Joachim and her sister, take a second row seat at the service. Even Crown Prince Christian walked in ahead of her. She looked happy though. Queen Mary looked very elegant.
Amusing that media is breathlessly reporting that 18 year old Christian is now ?the world?s most eligible bachelor? as he is the only unmarried heir to a throne in Europe. Poor kid!

LouisFerdinand

I like the bouquet of flowers Princess Benedikte was holding.                                         :thankyou: :thankyou:  :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Curryong

According to the latest estimates on the Abdication/ Accession Day ?some 174.000 were standing at Christiansborg.
Some 52.000 at a major square in Copenhagen, that the carriage and car passed.
And some 73.000 at Amalieborg.
And altogether some 3 million watched it on TV.
DK at present has a population of 5.9 million.
People along the route seems not to have been counted.?

Curryong

And as for the remarks by the ex Danish Defence Minister about Charles and Camilla looking ready for Sheltered Housing which was one reason why Queen Daisy decided to go, he wasn?t alone. According to reports at the time the Spanish King JC stated that he did not want to see his heir ?fading? like Charles into old age waiting waiting. Yes there were other cogent reasons for JC?s abdication but that obviously still entered into the calculations.

The late Queen Elizabeth?s youth was haunted by the spectre of the events of 1936 and she took her anointing at her Coronation seriously. Nevertheless, with the benefit of hindsight and seeing Felipe of Spain and Philippe of the Belgians having their moment while they were young and active I can?t help reflecting that if the late Queen had abdicated at 80 or even 85 then Charles could have made a viable new monarch with still  young sons and she could have enjoyed over a decade in happy retirement with PP.

Doing one?s duty till one?s last breath has its limitations. And that was seen by the youth, energy and enthusiasm of the new Danish RF last Sunday.

As it is, there are far too many BRF working royals of over 70+ to appeal to younger generations, hard though Anne and Charles work. The sight of frail 80+ pluses like the Kents at the Coronation last May was instructive.

Nightowl

Quote from: Curryong on January 14, 2024, 04:11:29 PM
Oh, pleeeze, why does everything always have to be compared to one or another of the Wales children by British tabloids? Typical of the Fail though! Princess Josephine is 13 not 5 like Louis. She is usually fine, a very calm and serene girl. I noticed she was a bit upset when the family first came out on the balcony. She wasn?t waving and looked to be on the brink of tears. It was probably the combination of a really big day, seeing her grandmother abdicate, her father a bit teary and the huge crowds.

And, by the way, the Danish news service has reported that Cr Prince Haakon and Prss M-M have arrived at the Palace for the evening celebrations which will include fireworks in the Tivoli Gardens.

Well for one thing you brought the BRF into the picture with your comment upthread of Charles. And throughout Josephine's early childhood till now she has always shown to be a *showoff*, wanting attention focused on her first with her antics.  The other 3 children have shown they are growing up and understanding their place and how to behave, not Josphine as she threw her arms up in the air in front of her father and brother to show she was first.....not behaving like her twin brother and older brother and sister.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on January 16, 2024, 06:22:25 AM

Well for one thing you brought the BRF into the picture with your comment upthread of Charles. And throughout Josephine's early childhood till now she has always shown to be a *showoff*, wanting attention focused on her first with her antics.  The other 3 children have shown they are growing up and understanding their place and how to behave, not Josphine as she threw her arms up in the air in front of her father and brother to show she was first.....not behaving like her twin brother and older brother and sister.

Did you watch the Danish Abdication/Accession all the way through? Because I did, sitting up watching Sky News and a Danish TV service that showed absolutely everything, in the early hours of an Aussie morning. From the crowds just waiting from a half hour before anything happened, to scenes later on Aus Sunrise TV of the fireworks in the Tivoli Gardens.

When the family first went out on the balcony following the Acclamation by the PM,  Josephine appeared quiet and a bit upset. She stood there with her arms by her side. She didn?t wave.

Others who were watching on the big Royal forum at the time also noticed that she appeared overwhelmed and upset, so it wasn?t just me. She threw her arms out LATER, at the second Palace appearance later that evening when she came out more cheerful, with her arms around her father. It was the FIRST appearance by Josephine  that I was commenting on. And, like her siblings Josephine usually behaves well and does not show off. Sverre Magnus of Sweden has performed on the balcony, so has Louis.

I?ve followed the Danish royals for over twenty years since Mary, a Tasmanian, married Fred, because of the Aus connection and have seen the family grow up.

TLLK

I agree that there we're more than the estimated number. It likely seems smaller at Amalienborg because of the layout of the 4 identical places around the square limits the number who can be in that space.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on January 16, 2024, 08:11:11 AM
Did you watch the Danish Abdication/Accession all the way through? Because I did, sitting up watching Sky News and a Danish TV service that showed absolutely everything, in the early hours of an Aussie morning. From the crowds just waiting from a half hour before anything happened, to scenes later on Aus Sunrise TV of the fireworks in the Tivoli Gardens.

When the family first went out on the balcony following the Acclamation by the PM,  Josephine appeared quiet and a bit upset. She stood there with her arms by her side. She didn?t wave.

Others who were watching on the big Royal forum at the time also noticed that she appeared overwhelmed and upset, so it wasn?t just me. She threw her arms out LATER, at the second Palace appearance later that evening when she came out more cheerful, with her arms around her father. It was the FIRST appearance by Josephine  that I was commenting on. And, like her siblings Josephine usually behaves well and does not show off. Sverre Magnus of Sweden has performed on the balcony, so has Louis.

I?ve followed the Danish royals for over twenty years since Mary, a Tasmanian, married Fred, because of the Aus connection and have seen the family grow up.

Yes im been royal watcher since late Diana,Princess of Wales for 1997 26 1/2 years will be 27 years on August 31 include members of the British royal family and European royals

LouisFerdinand

On speaking of the Accession of King Frederik X to the throne, one person declared the Accession was 'totally steeped in tradition'.   

Blue Clover

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 21, 2024, 02:47:37 PM
King Frederik and Queen Mary of Denmark wave to well-wishers as they attend the first Sunday service of the new monarch's reign outside a snowy Aarhus

Terrible weather, snowy and freezing but crowds came out to see the Royal Family. It was being shown on Danish TV. Everybody was there, including Queen Daisy and her sister Benedikte, and Christian and his younger siblings. King Frederik and Queen Mary very prominent of course and in the front row at Church. Christian (who did not wear a top coat,) now precedes his grandmother.

A Lutheran service of course, in a very old church, and I was interested to learn that Queen Margrethe had designed each cape worn by the five Bishops who processed down the aisle. Queen Mary chose at least one of the hymns, ?Eternal Father, Strong to Save?. A beautiful hymn. played at her wedding and her mother?s funeral.

PrincessOfPeace

Yesterday, Queen Mary visits the final of the men's European Handball Championship between Denmark and France:

https://x.com/landnrw/status/1751639883792191938?s=20

PrincessOfPeace

From January 31st to February 2nd, when King Frederik X is abroad, it will be Crown Prince Christian who will assume the role of regent:

Kongehuset bekr?fter: Kronprins Christian f?r vigtig funktion i kong Frederiks frav?r | BILLED-BLADET

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 30, 2024, 10:47:54 PM
From January 31st to February 2nd, when King Frederik X is abroad, it will be Crown Prince Christian who will assume the role of regent:

Kongehuset bekr?fter: Kronprins Christian f?r vigtig funktion i kong Frederiks frav?r | BILLED-BLADET

This (rigsforstander/regent) is a very prestigious and important position for an 18 year old, and very soon after his father?s accession too. However the sooner Christian starts these ceremonial roles the more experienced he will be by the time he takes up fulltime royal duties in another four or five years? time.

PrincessOfPeace

Poland's President Andrzej Duda has hosted an official welcoming ceremony for King Frederik at the Presidential Palace in Warsaw:

King Frederik January 31 Pictures and Photos - Getty Images,%202024&sort=newest&irgwc=1&esource=AFF_GI_IR_Skimbit%20Ltd._10078&asid=Skimbit%20Ltd.&cid=GI&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Skimbit%20Ltd.&utm_content=10078

PrincessOfPeace

Day 2:

King Frederik February 1 Pictures and Photos - Getty Images,%202024&irgwc=1&esource=AFF_GI_IR_Skimbit%20Ltd._10078&asid=Skimbit%20Ltd.&cid=GI&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Skimbit%20Ltd.&utm_content=10078

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 01, 2024, 08:32:59 PM

I like the fact that King Frederik X signs his signature with an R.     
Frederik is not trying to copycat King Charles III.   
Other sovereigns and Emperors have used the R in their signature.

Yes they have, since at least the Twelfth Century. King Henry I of England was the first English King noted to have signed with an R. The medieval Holy Roman Emperors almost certainly did so.