Communications Team Shake-Up for the British Monarchy

Started by Lady Adams, October 06, 2014, 12:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

Something I've been watching for the last few weeks is the rapid disintegration of the one-team for all BRF public relations. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a full article about this from any on the royal beat.

Here's what I've got:

First, Ed Perkins resigned and it was announced he was going to go to law school. From Peter Hunt's twitter on July 4:
QuoteWilliam, Harry and Kate are losing their Communications Secretary, Ed Perkins. The former BBC producer is retraining as a lawyer.

But just last week, it was announced Perkins went to a communications firm as a senior adviser.

Next, Prince Charles' communications secretary left and the news that the PR teams officially have moved back to their respective palaces. From Rebecca English's twitter account (three tweets on Sept. 29):
QuoteKristina Kyriacou is leaving her post as Prince Charles's 'pr guru' after two years to work for private clients incl Cheryl Cole. But.........she will continue to work on projects for the Prince of Wales on a consultancy basis.
Her departure marks an end to the 'one press office for all' project at Buckingham Palace.Charles's team are all back at Clarence House now.

Today, Peter Hunt announced on twitter that Prince Charles's press secretary is leaving:
QuotePrince Charles is losing a third senior official. His Press Secretary, Patrick Harrison is off to @WS_London .

I thought this might all interest you all (especially @Windsor). In my opinion, it sounds like the one-comms team was difficult on everyone.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

:thanks: :goodpost: I wonder why these people are leaving at the same time...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

Yes, when you think about it that sort of thing is good in theory but in practice there are too many disparate goals, too many clashes, including team egos, I suspect. Because of the Foundation there is some rationale behind keeping William and Harry's team together at KP, but Charles is a different kettle of fish, entirely.

wannable

At the time, courtiers described the move as 'just plain common sense'. However, Charles's entire press team has now returned to Clarence House.
His PR chief, Paddy Harverson, who was credited with reinventing the Prince's public image, left in 2012 after nine years amid claims that Charles (left) was frustrated that his charities did not 'get the public attention they deserve'.
Matters are said to have come to a head after Kate Middleton married Prince William, with media attention on the Royal Family then concentrating on the Duchess of Cambridge's every move.

Read more: SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: New blow to Charles as second PR chief quits  | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Curryong

Well, if Charles hasn't worked out by now, (after over 60 years in public life), that, however hardworking you are, however worthy your charities, however prominent your role in the Royal Family, the media prefers youth over age, young married couple over older married couple and female over male (because of the interest in fashion, hair and looks), then 20 new Communication Secretaries and PR's won't help!

I'd thought he'd been through it all before in the days of Diana. Is the man a slow learner?

sandy

Charles should realize 1) Life goes on and the younger generation takes on more--he experienced that himself when he was young and 2) He is not going to always be the center of the universe.
It's the cycle of life.

TLLK

^^^Cue the "The Circle of Life" song from the "The Lion King." :windsor1: :P

Lady Adams

Going through this many staffers in such a short amount of time: something is wrong.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

HistoryGirl

Quote from: Curryong on October 07, 2014, 02:29:20 PM
Well, if Charles hasn't worked out by now, (after over 60 years in public life), that, however hardworking you are, however worthy your charities, however prominent your role in the Royal Family, the media prefers youth over age, young married couple over older married couple and female over male (because of the interest in fashion, hair and looks), then 20 new Communication Secretaries and PR's won't help!

I'd thought he'd been through it all before in the days of Diana. Is the man a slow learner?

This.

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on October 07, 2014, 03:44:42 PM
^^^Cue the "The Circle of Life" song from the "The Lion King." :windsor1: :P

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

Quote from: Lady Adams on October 07, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
Going through this many staffers in such a short amount of time: something is wrong.

My guess is that the attempt to consolidate didn't go over well with the staff.  Everyone jockeying for position, having to report to more people, etc.  I understand the impulse to create a unified press office, but it just doesn't seem like it worked in practice.

Lady Adams

Richard Palmer wrote a bit about this in a larger article:

Dickie Arbiter on a life serving the Queen, Prince Charles, Diana and William and Harry | Royal | News | Daily Express

After a year of internal wrangling and a failed attempt to unify the three press offices at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace, the latter two are now looking for new spin doctors to shape the images of the heir to the throne and second in line William, along with Kate, Camilla and Harry.

TLLK

Thank you for posting this LA. Good to know the man's opinions on the BRF. I've always thought that HM visibly relaxed and became more approachable in her wardrobe and manner after her mother's death. Also agree with him regarding the grandchildren's current roles within the BRF. He also seems to be of the opinion that Camilla will eventually be known as Queen consort.