Former monarchies historic discussion: France, Germany, Russia etc..

Started by amabel, January 10, 2010, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amabel2

Is it just me? I know the jewels were stolen and they were the property of the Hesse family, but I feel a bit iffy that they were ex Nazis, who were going to hold onto their jewels when Germany was in ruins...
it would be nice if one thought that the family would use some of their jewels to help their fellow Germans

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on December 31, 2022, 06:11:08 PM
Is it just me? I know the jewels were stolen and they were the property of the Hesse family, but I feel a bit iffy that they were ex Nazis, who were going to hold onto their jewels when Germany was in ruins...
it would be nice if one thought that the family would use some of their jewels to help their fellow Germans

I don?t know that the entire Hesse family were ex Nazis, in fact it?s extremely doubtful that most of them were. The two who were the most virulent, Christoph, married to PP?s sister, and one of his brothers, certainly fell into the camp of believing that the Nazis were the way out of Germany?s humiliations after WW1.

Both seemed to believe, in the beginning, anyway, that Hitler would restore the nobility and royal Houses of the former Imperial Germany, something many former Imperial royals believed, including at least two of Kaiser Bill?s sons. There is some evidence though that Christoph was disillusioned by the time he was killed in a flying accident in Italy in 1943. PP remembered him as a soft spoken and rather gentle sort of character.

I don?t think that the Hesses were alone at all in hiding and burying jewellery, plate and other precious possessions as the war progressed. They may well have been terrified of Nazi looters, then the Russians and the probable chaos of another defeat.

I don?t know either that the Hesses of that particular branch were tremendously wealthy. The jewels may have been thought of as collateral if they lost everything else. And I don?t know that robbing others is fine and dandy if the victims are not the greatest people in the world. That?s questionable to say the least, isn?t it?

LouisFerdinand

Empress Eugenie of France had Louis Vuitton's company make the expansive monogrammed
luggage necessary to transport her enormous wardrobe from place to place.   

:catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight: :catfight:

LouisFerdinand

Princess Pauline Bonaparte Borghese was a sister of Emperor Napoleon I of France.   
When Prince Camillo Borghese sent his wife Pauline notes addressed to the "Princess   
Borghese" she sent them back. She opened only those addressed to   
"Her Imperial Highness the Princess Pauline". 

LouisFerdinand

Archduke Franz Ferdinand wanted to have the navy modernized.   
He wanted long-term military chiefs to retire. He wanted an alliance formed with the Russian Empire.
Emperor Franz Joseph did not like these demands.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Elizabeth of Hainaut (1170-1190), Queen of France, was the wife of King Philip II of France.
    She was just a girl when she arrived at the French court.     
Isabel de Henao, La Desdichada "Reina-Ni?a" que fue Amada por su Pueblo, Reina Consorte de Francia. - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Tsar Alexander II of Russia set up the zemstvo system, which allowed for the local self-government, and ended some of the privileges of the nobility.

LouisFerdinand

King Frederick I of Wurttemberg reigned from 1806 to 1816.   
King Frederick I with Emperor Napoleon I of France in Stuttgart in 1805   
Mary Evans Frederick I., 6.11.1754 - 30.10.1816, King of 10457452

LouisFerdinand

John (Johan) I was the King of Sweden from 1216 until 1222.     
He was crowned in 1219 and issued a charter of privileges for the Swedish bishops.

LouisFerdinand

Hugh Capet (c. 939-996) was the King of the Franks from 987 to 996.   
Immediately after his coronation, Hugh began to insist for the coronation of his son Robert.   
The archbishop answered that two kings cannot be created the same year.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Rudolph of Habsburg (1218-1291) sought to recover the many imperial possessions which   
had been lost since 1245. He saw to it that the taxes laid upon the imperial cities and towns were duly paid.

LouisFerdinand

When Empress Eugenie of France took the waters at Schwalbach in the   
Duchy of Nassau, she travelled incognito as the Comtesse de Pierrefonds.

LouisFerdinand

Prince Charles Ferdinand d'Orleans (1820-1828) was a son of King Louis Philippe I   
and Queen Amelie of the French. He was created Duke of Penthievre.

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on March 02, 2023, 08:48:57 PM
Hugh Capet (c. 939-996) was the King of the Franks from 987 to 996.   
Immediately after his coronation, Hugh began to insist for the coronation of his son Robert.   
The archbishop answered that two kings cannot be created the same year.

Lol old post, but I just saw it and it made me chuckle. Such interesting and dynamic times?

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 26, 2023, 12:53:00 AM
Lol old post, but I just saw it and it made me chuckle. Such interesting and dynamic times?

Even if King Hugh's son had had an early coronation, what guarantee is there that King Robert would reign successfully?

HistoryGirl2

No guarantees in those days. That thought popped into my head the other day when I was reading up on the death of Alfred the Great. I guess you just did anything possible to bolster the argument for your chosen successor, but things could always change once a ruler died.

LouisFerdinand

Maximilian I was Holy Roman Emperor from 1508 until 1519.   
In 1508 Maximilian, with the assent of Pope Julius II, took the title Elected Holy Roman Emperor,   
thus ending the custom that the Holy Roman Emperor had to be crowned by the Pope

LouisFerdinand

In 1289 King Denis of Portugal signed the Concordat of Forty Articles with Pope Nicholas IV, swearing to protect the Church's interests in Portugal.

LouisFerdinand