See what the Duchess of Cornwall told Lady Gaga they had in common!

Started by Jennifer, December 08, 2016, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteIt was a case of pop royalty meeting actual royalty on Tuesday evening. Attending the Royal Variety Performance in London, the Duchess of Cornwall was introduced to Lady Gaga where she revealed that her grandchildren call her by the same name. Camilla, who was at the lavish event with Prince Charles, smiled as she told the American singer: "My grandchildren call me Gaga".

The royal couple were also introduced to Robbie Williams and host David Walliams before the star-studded show, which was held at the iconic Hammersmith Apollo. They were treated to performances from top musicians Gary Barlow, Sting and Emeli Sande as well as this year's Britain's Got Talent winner, magician Richard Jones.

Read more:
See what the Duchess of Cornwall told Lady Gaga they had in common!
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

I'd read somewhere that her grandchildren all call her "Gaga." I'm guessing that one of the elder ones couldn't say granny or grandma and called her Gaga. The name has continued with the others as they began to speak.  :)

sandy

That gown Camilla wears looks eerily like the one Diana wore in Canada in 1983. Though Camilla's wearing a larger size and it does not look good on her. I wonder what the grandchildren call their grandfather, Andrew Parker Bowles, the forgotten man.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I can think of some other similarities between the two, but they're not very flattering, like her attempt to copy Dianas style, I know the 80s style is coming back, but someone should tell her that to try and copy her look both wont work and will attract the ire of Diana-philes.  :partaay:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

@sandy- Out of curiosity, why do you believe that Andrew Parker Bowles is forgotten? Surely you don't believe that his children and grandchildren have forgotten him? As for the press attention,  I'd think that he'd like to enjoy his personal life out of the public spotlight now that he's divorced from Camilla and remarried. As for the grandchildren..maybe they call him "go-go" or just plain grandpa. :)

As for Camilla's dress I find it to be a classic style so I'm not surprised that it would draw comparisons to evening wear worn by Diana or other ladies.  :shrug:

sandy

Several reasons. One is that his son Tom Parker Bowles talks more about his Stepdad and his mother to promote his books. a few books don't mention his father APB at all, just refer to his stepfather and Camilla. I know that he may think that would sell more books, but I think it on the tacky side. When Camilla found she was going to be a grandmother for the first time, the headlines talked about the child being the "first" grandchild of Charles and Camilla. NO mention of the grandfather. Tom IMO tends to use his association with Charles aka "Sir" to plug his books.

It does remind me of Diana's gown, same color and style. But it is not a good size fit for Camilla.

Double post auto-merged: December 09, 2016, 02:41:12 AM

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 09, 2016, 02:25:49 AM
I can think of some other similarities between the two, but they're not very flattering, like her attempt to copy Dianas style, I know the 80s style is coming back, but someone should tell her that to try and copy her look both wont work and will attract the ire of Diana-philes.  :partaay:

Ire? What Ire? Please don't associate feelings like that which I decidedly don't had. I found something familiar about the dress color and cloth and yes, it does remind me of the 1983 gown. Overall, I think Camilla dresses more like Charles maternal grandmother which I find on the odd side.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diana+in+canada+1983+red+gown&biw=1536&bih=759&tbm=isch&imgil=8fEbEmPDWKbQhM%253A%253Bh2JukyQ4RyeL7M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Froyal-fans.com%25252F2014%25252F01%25252F03%25252Fprincess-dianas-iconic-outfits%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8fEbEmPDWKbQhM%253A%252Ch2JukyQ4RyeL7M%252C_&usg=__5WeNG0I654gbYYmpwKNyxWXfGQA%3D&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwiXl6aMi-bQAhVDB8AKHW6YAA8QyjcILQ&ei=4xlKWNeZJsOOgAbusIJ4#imgrc=c4xwsEAxHEteRM%3A

TLLK

It's possible that Andrew has asked Tom to keep him out of the spotlight and Tom is respecting his father's wishes. As for the  press writing about the first grandchild, I can see why they'd use Charles instead of Andrew...click bait=advertising revenue.  :wink:

sandy

I doubt that APB asked Tom to do anything of the sort. I think Tom wants to sell his books so he gives little tidbits of information about Sir and Mum. Why can you see why they'd mention Charles instead of his father? I find it tacky. IF APB had been a recluse he'd stay away from royal events, and he has been conspicuous at some of them.

TLLK

"someone should tell her that to try and copy her look both wont work and will attract the ire of Diana-philes.  :partaay:"

LOL Yes I can see that could annoy some people. Hope that Camilla doesn't attempt a comeback of the polka dot years!

As for 80's fashions returning...let's leave the leg warmers, ripped t-shirts and head bands buried in the past!!!! :P

sandy

I still say Camilla dresses like the Queen Mother which I find on the tacky side. She is no QUeen Mother and I highly doubt will achieve her popularity. I don't find it "annoying" that Camilla puts on gowns like DIana wore, it makes her look foolish instead.  ANd back on the other topic, I doubt APB would not want any mention of being TOm's father in book jacket blurbs.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on December 09, 2016, 02:55:20 AM
I doubt that APB asked Tom to do anything of the sort. I think Tom wants to sell his books so he gives little tidbits of information about Sir and Mum. Why can you see why they'd mention Charles instead of his father? I find it tacky. IF APB had been a recluse he'd stay away from royal events, and he has been conspicuous at some of them.
Charles = clickbait=advertising revenue for the press.  :thumbsup: :nod: Andrew Parker-Bowles=limited interest/not clickbait worthy.

Since APB has not sought the spotlight since his divorce from Camilla, then it seems reasonable that he would request that his son not include him in his books. The man doesn't appear to want to have the press attention.  :shrug: He's dealt with it in the past.

As for Tom, yes it is reasonable that he'd want to use the names of the people that will attract attention..Charles. Tacky or not, it all comes down to who will generate interest and sales. APB is not likely to do either.

APB can live his life in peace. :)

I still say Camilla dresses like the Queen Mother which I find on the tacky side-sandy.

I don't find it surprising that a woman over 60 would wear age appropriate clothing to a dressy occasion.  IMO it would be "tacky" if she tried to wear something that would appeal to Eugenie, Beatrice or Kate who are in their twenties-thirties. But on this we can agree to disagree. :friends:

sandy

Why would any man not want to be named as a father to his son in the son's biography? That's not keeping a low profile, that's just weird. I think Tom wants to sell books and maybe he inherited some of his mother's attitudes. And being named in his son's biography does not equate "press attention." Or maybe APB who shared his wife with Charles is a total wimp.   Maybe it's "reasonable" for Tom but I find it tacky. Tom's playing the name dropping card to sell books, show the books may not be all that great in the first place. The books should sell on their own merits.  APB is still a royal hanger on and is covered by the press and photographed. APB living his life in "peace" does not mean he should be erased as being Tom's father.

TLLK

I don't believe that he's being erased if he chooses to live his life out of the spotlight and out of his son's books.  APB's had a taste of it from the past and likely he is done with it now.  IMO I don't think that the occasional photo means that he's looking for press attention.  :shrug:

sandy

Why would a man not want to be mentioned as father of a writer? It's one thing not to give interviews but another to be totally ignored and not mentioned. But then again, maybe he is a wimp.  But OTOH, maybe his son is just plain tacky and a name dropper.  Or maybe the son feels that his "royal association" will sell books, I think it is a turn off. Saying he is the son of the Duchess of Cornwall and stepson of the Prince of Wales may suggest he's a snob to the point of not mentioning his real roots. I can't imagine APB saying, son I don't like attention so don't put in your book jacket that I'm your father. I doubt that ever happened.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:03:39 AM
"someone should tell her that to try and copy her look both wont work and will attract the ire of Diana-philes.  :partaay:"

LOL Yes I can see that could annoy some people. Hope that Camilla doesn't attempt a comeback of the polka dot years!

As for 80's fashions returning...let's leave the leg warmers, ripped t-shirts and head bands buried in the past!!!! :P

I'm just trying to imagine Camilla in ripped t-shirts, leg warmers and a head band, and Charles's expression when he saw her wearing them!  :D

Trudie

Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:15:07 AM
I don't believe that he's being erased if he chooses to live his life out of the spotlight and out of his son's books.  APB's had a taste of it from the past and likely he is done with it now.  IMO I don't think that the occasional photo means that he's looking for press attention.  :shrug:

First APB's second wife Rosemary died a few years ago and since then he has hardly lived his life without the spotlight as he has been seen with Princess Anne at Ascot and was also a guest at the Royal wedding. Sorry on this TLLK but I have to agree with Sandy on this.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Good one @TLLK  and @sandy  I was not talking about you at all, so you can rest easy about any emotions you thought I was attributing to you. I'd prefer to keep our interactions to a bare minimum.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote from: Trudie on December 09, 2016, 03:57:37 AM
Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:15:07 AM

First APB's second wife Rosemary died a few years ago and since then he has hardly lived his life without the spotlight as he has been seen with Princess Anne at Ascot and was also a guest at the Royal wedding. Sorry on this TLLK but I have to agree with Sandy on this.
No worries @Trudie. Thank you for the information regarding Rosemary's death.

Double post auto-merged: December 09, 2016, 04:07:54 AM

Quote from: Curryong on December 09, 2016, 03:56:29 AM
Quote from: TLLK on December 09, 2016, 03:03:39 AM

I'm just trying to imagine Camilla in ripped t-shirts, leg warmers and a head band, and Charles's expression when he saw her wearing them!  :D
:hehe: :lol:  Olivia Newton-John - Physical (1981) HD 0815007 - YouTube  This is what popped into my head!