Japan-Birthdays and other milestones

Started by TLLK, November 30, 2020, 07:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread to discuss birthdays, anniversaries and other milestones

Princess Aiko turns 19, attends online univ. classes amid pandemic

QuotePrincess Aiko, the only child of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, turned 19 on Tuesday while attending online classes at her university as a first-year student amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The princess, enrolled in Gakushuin University in Tokyo, has been taking part in virtual lectures since the start of the academic year in April. In October, she visited the school and met her professors and classmates face to face for the first time, according to the Imperial Household Agency. :bday7:

Curryong

An exciting time for Aiko, approaching adulthood. You do wonder what her future will be. Not the Chrysanthemum Throne, that's for sure, however some royal duties surely, after her education finishes, more public presence etc, perhaps a career, and then marriage to someone suitable I guess.

TLLK

Japan's former Emperor Akihito turns 87

QuoteJapan's former Emperor Akihito turned 87 on Wednesday, having spent much of the year quietly at his residence in Tokyo amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The former emperor marked his second birthday since stepping down from the Chrysanthemum Throne on April 30 last year when he became the first Japanese monarch to abdicate in around 200 years. His eldest son Emperor Naruhito succeeded the throne the following day.

He looked relieved after a series of imperial succession rites concluded in November with his second son Crown Prince Fumihito officially declared first in line to the throne, the Imperial Household Agency said.

Curryong

And a happy and peaceful birthday to ex-Emperor Akihito, he deserves it. There were times when I honestly felt with the length of time the Imperial Household was taking over the arrangements for the handing over of the Chrysanthemum Throne, that he just wouldn't make it to retirement.

TLLK

@Curryong-I agree. I am pleased that he did make it to retirement and I hope that he's enjoying it with his hobbies.

TLLK

A place to post about family birthdays, personal anniversaries and other milestones.

TLLK

:bday7: Happy 61st Birthday to HIM Emperor Nahurito.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 28th Wedding Anniversary to Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 55th Birthday to Crown Princess Kiko.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 87th Birthday to Empress Michiko.

Curryong

A Happy birthday to Mako. I hope she marries before she turns 31. What with  all the fuss that has occurred since she was first engaged including the responses from her own family and the IJH, I sincerely trust that the marriage goes ahead now with no further complications. Although, with that lot on the sidelines glaring in silent disapproval I wouldnt be holding my breath until the ceremony?s over if I was her.

TLLK

:bday7: To Princess Mako. Best wishes for a bright and happy future.

TLLK

Placing this information here as it pertains to Princess Aiko's coming of age ceremonies in early December.

Date set for coming of age ceremonies for Princess Aiko ? Royal Central

QuoteThe date has been set for Aiko, Princess Toshi?s coming of age ceremonies in Japan.

The majority of the ceremonies will be held on 5 December ? four days after Princess Aiko celebrates her 20th birthday (the age of adulthood in Japan).

Since her birthday is on a weekday, the coming of age ceremonies are being held on a weekend, so they do not conflict with her classes at Tokyo?s Gakushuin University. The Princess is studying Japanese literature at the university.

There will be no banquet or any similar type of gathering due to the ongoing global health crisis. On 5 December, Aiko will visit the Imperial Sanctuaries to pray. She will also dress in formal wear and appear before her parents, the Emperor and Empress, as well as her grandparents, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko. Princess Aiko will borrow the tiara from her paternal aunt, Sayako Kuroda (former Princess Sayako), for her coming of age ceremonies; the tiara is being adjusted to fit her head better for the important day. Most Japanese princesses receive a new tiara for their 20th birthday, but the Imperial Household chose not to buy a new tiara for Aiko due to the ongoing health crisis.

Emperor Naruhito will bestow the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown at the Imperial Palace on his daughter.

The Prime Minister and other government members are expected to send her birthday wishes, and Aiko will have lunch at the Imperial Palace with her parents. She will also appear before the press for a press conference.

Aiko is the only child of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. However, she is not in the line of succession as women in Japan are barred from ascending the throne. She will now be expected to represent the Imperial Family at official events. Once she marries, she will have to renounce her titles and place in the Imperial Family, as required by Japanese law. 

Here's a blog article on the tiara that was formerly worn by Aiko's aunt Sayako and will now be worn by her niece at official gala events ie New Year's Court ceremonies.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Friday): Princess Nori's Tiara

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 56th Birthday to Crown Prince Akishino.

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

:bday7: To Princess Aiko. Her coming of age ceremony will take place soon on Dec. 5. :Jen:

Princess Aiko turns 20 - YouTube video about Princess Aiko.

What?s ahead for Princess Aiko now that she?s of age? ? Royal Central

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 88th Birthday to Emperor Akihito.

TLLK

Princess Kako celebrated her 27th birthday today.  :bday7:

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 62nd Birthday to HM Emperor Naruhito.

TLLK

:bday: To HIM Emperor Nahurito.  :bday: