RHS Chelsea flower show cancelled, virtual displays to be presented

Started by TLLK, March 20, 2020, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Virtual RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020 / RHS Gardening

QuoteFor these reasons, and to do more to support the industry, the RHS will create a Virtual RHS Chelsea Flower Show, to celebrate our great horticultural industry and gardening heritage with ?press day? being Monday 18 May 2020 and the Virtual Show running from Tuesday 19 May to Saturday 23 May.

As you can imagine we?re at the early stages of planning this, so more details will be announced in coming weeks.  We cannot create the actual show at The Royal Hospital Chelsea, but we are looking at what we can do on our RHS website and other platforms for people to enjoy and to share the joy of gardening. We will of course be asking for the ideas and involvement of growers, nurseries, designers, landscapers and tradestands too and look forward to sharing ideas very soon.

In the meantime, thank you again from all of us at the RHS for your support and kindness during this difficult and sad time.

Stay safe and look after yourselves

All the very best,

Sue

Princess Cassandra

So, so sad, but necessary. What a great way to make up for the loss of such an important annual event to people from all over the world. She worded the message so beautifully!

Curryong

I'm very very glad to see that there is to be a virtual display of displays of flowers and gardens. The British have been described as a nation of gardeners and there is such a great deal of interest in the Chelsea Garden Show each year. The Show really is an institution. This virus has interrupted and postponed so many things. 2020 will certainly go into the history books.

TLLK

Looking forward to seeing the photographs and videos of the gardens. As you said  @Curryong the British are a nation of gardeners. My parents typically planned part of their UK vacations around sites with well-known gardens.

Blue Clover

A great idea to turn to virtual reality. Its best to keep everyone safe.

LouisFerdinand

wannable

Who would have been the Royal this year to showcase? After Kate last year, it is IMO hard to equal that.

sara8150

Till next year 2021 due coronavirus (COVID-19) for safety of HM Queen and members of royal family they can visit RHS Chelsea Flower Show

Princess Cassandra

We know they will do a terrific job and it will be quite enjoyable. Last week I "attended" a webinar on designing gardens with native materials. It had been planned to be a lecture in a hall but was changed. It was interesting and informative and I was happy to "attend".

TLLK

The Queen sends a message to the organizers of the Chelsea Flower Show.

The 2020 virtual Chelsea Flower Show | The Royal Family

QuoteOn the occasion of the Opening of the Virtual Chelsea Flower Show 2020, I send my best wishes to all those associated with the Royal Horticultural Society.

My family and I have always enjoyed visiting the Show, and I know that your Members and Supporters will be disappointed that they are unable to attend in person this year.

As Patron of the Royal Horticultural Society, I was pleased to hear that you will be providing gardening advice and virtual sessions on your website, from Monday 18th to Saturday 23rd May.

I am sure that my grandmother, Queen Mary, who first attended the Chelsea Flower Show in 1916, would be delighted that many people today have an enthusiasm for horticulture, and that gardening remains a popular past time in the United Kingdom.

As you adapt to the present circumstances, I hope you find this unique event enjoyable and interesting. 

ELIZABETH R.

The Queen, PoW/DssoC, the Wessexes, the Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra share their favorite flowers and foliage for the virtual royal horticultural show.

The 2020 virtual Chelsea Flower Show | The Royal Family

LouisFerdinand

It was pleasant that Queen Elizabeth II mentioned that her paternal grandmother Queen Mary had attended the Chelsea Flower Show.

wannable

Yes and a unseen picture.  How elegant they used to dress, no matter what.  It gives an air of respect to whatever they did.  The BRF still keep certain dress codes, before Covid19, garden parties, the horse races, the garter ceremony, trooping, cenotaph events.  I really hope when vaccine is discovered, worldwide we can have resemblance of before March 2020.

TLLK

KP social media sharing a previously unseen photo of Catherine  in 2019 helping out with the Back to Nature garden installation before the flower show opening.

Twitter

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
@KensingtonRoyal
One year on from The Duchess of Cambridge's #BackToNature Garden, the Chelsea Flower Show is going digital!

Visit @The_RHS
to join the virtual #ChelseaFlowerShow for practical gardening advice from world-leading designers and experts, all from the comfort of your own home
🏡

wannable

Balance, athletic and no fear of heights, perched on a rock bolder 3 meters plus from ground zero stretching arm to receive a heavy potted plant, see the muscles contracted :lol:

LouisFerdinand

Catherine and the second lady both wore gardening gloves.  :flower: :flower: