Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Prince Consort of the Netherlands

Started by snokitty, February 05, 2015, 08:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, Prince Consort of the Netherlands | Unofficial Royalty
Prince Bernhard was the husband of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. Bernhard Friedrich Eberhard Leopold Julius Kurt Carl Gottfried Peter, Graf von Biesterfeld was born on June 29, 1911 in Jena in the Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach now in Germany. He was the elder son of Prince Bernhard of Lippe (younger brother of Leopold IV, Prince of Lippe) and his wife Armgard von Cramm. Bernhard and Armgard's marriage was considered morganatic, so the younger Bernhard was styled Graf von Biesterfeld (Count of Biesterfeld) at birth. Bernhard had one younger brother Prince Aschwin of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1914 –1988). In 1916, Bernhard's uncle, the reigning Prince of Lippe, created Armgard Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld with the style Serene Highness and this title and style also was extended to her two sons.

Bernhard started his education with tutors at home and at the age of 12 began to attend a boarding school for boys in Züllichau in the Prussian province of Brandenburg, now Sulechów, Poland. In 1929, he completed his secondary education and then studied law at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland and at the Friedrich-Wilhelm University in Berlin, Germany, now Humboldt University. Bernhard then obtained a job at the Parisian subsidiary of the German chemical company IG Farben, where he continued to work until his engagement to Juliana.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

Not my favorite of the 20th century consorts, but his daughter Beatrix was IMO an excellent modern monarch.

LouisFerdinand

As a sign of his "Dutchness" Prince Bernhard spoke only Dutch when negotiating the surrender of German forces in The Netherlands.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Prince Bernhard's uncle Prince Leopold IV of Lippe-Biesterfeld raised him to princely rank with the style of Serene Highness in 1916.