Started by Iris, December 27, 2004, 02:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iris

I figured, now that I'm busy anyway:

text &video

and, hang on.....

Iris

.....the translation, again, done by myself, so mistakes are included :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas, the feast of life and light in darkness, inspires to think and can lift us this way above everyday worries. With the coming of Jesus a message is given of comfort in sadness and hope for the power of new life.  

With the birth of my grandson and the death of both my parents within one year the fracture line between life and death has struck me deeply.  The loss is great for us. My father lived to his goodbye in awareness, the end of a moved existence. He represented a generation which maintained the dignity of our people in times of war and abomination. Our family os moved by the warm sympathy with his passing.

Many in this world, live between sadness and hope. Violence is for countless people a daily reality and peace a desire. An everlasting tension weighs heavy upon the existence. Fear transforms into agression so easily. We also experience the repercussion of this mondial uncertainty. Twice in a short period of time teh Netherlands were shocked by deeds of extremism. At such attacks the freedom that typifies our country is seriously abused. We now realize all too good how vulnerable we are in an open society, based on the freedom of every citizen. That trusted certainties no longer appear to be sufficient  to protect the community against the violent hardening, confuses us.

Understandable emotions can seduce people to call for one-sided answers, but there are no simple solutions. In our complicated society, where different interests, insights and convictions continuously have to be united with each other, is now asked even more of us. We make one society together.

In debate and dialogues positive powers can be supported. It should be avoided that people give up the ope for a better society, grow lonely and slip away in social isolation. we will have to keep on seeing the other as human and hold on to them as fellow citizen.

In a united effort to keep tolerance up, everyone of us shall be expected to show effort and involvement.  

Throughout the centuries a balance has emerged between rights and responsibilities and between rights and duties.

These points of departure have always given hold and space to deal with contradictions. This does not only mean the way in which people treat each other, but also the values from which they do so. Now we are being confronted with happenings which put heavy pressure upon old fundamental norms and tested tolerance. Extremism, in word and deed, splits the community. Borders should therefore be clear and rules maintained. Interests from individuals and groups will have to arrange themselves in favor of the common interest.  

On its own, the system of law will not be able to resist the sowing of hate and disunion. Hate calls for hate. Extreme cases of disturbed relationships with the own society and criminal behavior can show up anywhere and poison an entire society like that. Out of respect for the freedoms and convictions of others all will therefore have to show control themselves in the way they treat fellow citizens. Vengance is never a solution. Despite the tension to stand up with strength for personal conviction and opinion, people need to be able to count on it that conflicts will be solved peacefully. In trust lies the fundament of good social interaction.
If  willingness is displayed to involve responsibilities and the interest of society as a whole while interacting, this is a sign of hope. The challenge lies in sincere attention for others and support for all people of good will.

The light of christmas shines upon our earthly existence , here and elsewhere, now and for the future. People can find inspration and the courage that is needed to let responsibilites come true and to make an effort for the quaity of living and living together.  

Jesus? birth and the way He went, direct our eyes to that what gives menaing and value to life. That is how we are involved with the well-being of our fellow people and the peace in our world and in our own country.

I wish for you all a blessed christmas.