The People's Prince: Ordinary Harry Keeps Royals Relevant

Started by joanneinwonderland25, April 24, 2013, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanneinwonderland25

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching!

Eri

Mike

If Harry was the elder son, I doubt The Firm would permit him to be so "ordinary."
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

cinrit

Perhaps if Harry were the elder son, he wouldn't be so ordinary.  It seems that the "spare" (e.g., Prince Andrew and Princess Margaret) does have more leeway to enjoy being more "ordinary".  But I agree with you, Mike.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Eri

"The Star" quality Harry has you either have it or you don't...it has nothing to do with anything it's a God given quality !!! The way he connects with people has nothing to do with him being "the spare" seems like another way to put Harry down to me  <_< ...

Mike

I'm just suggesting if Harry was second in line, The Firm would keep him under tighter control - a shorter leash if you will.  Maybe The Firm would not have allowed him to go to Afghanistan. 

Maybe, maybe not.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and

amabel

Probably not.  He would not be expected to be a career soldier.  And quite honestly Harry's active military service hasn't been thtat long anyway. 

HsHCharlene

Harry will most likely be a career soldier because that is what suits him best and the MOD have made efforts to get him out into the field. He has been in the armed forces since 2005 making it 8 years and he is an O-6, a Captain. He has already done the minimum expected of a short term service member. Active duty does not just count time in a war zone, plenty of people are active duty for up to six years and have never seen a war zone. There are many military installations around the world that are not in war zones and those stationed there are still viewed as doing active service.

amabel

True but there are wars going on at present, sad to say, and there is a shortage of soldiers.  So I thtink that if Harry can't do a bit more active service becuase of his position, tehy shoudl re think the idea of young royals having a few years in the armed services

Eri

^ Harry went to Afghanistan TWICE!!! How many time do you think he should go? Harry is a soldier in a time of PEACE I don't see where he could go Afghanistan been there done that TWICE plus they will ALL be out by 2014!!! Siria , Iraq and Libia are places The British troops are kept as few as possible   :shrug:...and it's not like there is a war to be fought in those places anyways...I think Harry's future is "taking care" of wounded soldiers and a place in the Military as an instructor ...

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

cinrit

Just curious ... what is the length of deployment for the average British soldier?  In the U.S., they are deployed for a 12-month period, and they can be deployed more than once.  (Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Mike

As I understand it, the current Afghan deployment duration for US soldiers is 12 months.  I don't know for troops of other nations.

Double post auto-merged: May 13, 2013, 02:46:56 AM

Quote from: HsHCharlene on May 12, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
Harry will most likely be a career soldier because that is what suits him best and the MOD have made efforts to get him out into the field. He has been in the armed forces since 2005 making it 8 years and he is an O-6, a Captain.
Just a small point, while Harry is a Captain in the Army Air Corps, his pay grade is OF-2, not OF-6.  Maybe someday he'll be an OF-6.

British Army Captain
Mark Twain:
and

amabel

I don't know what the normal deployment period is, but given that there are less people going into the army than before, I think that Harry's active service has been quite short.  Its not his fault, it is due to his positon that it is difficult to send him into the field without possibly adding to the risks for his comrades and that's clearly not a good idea.  I don't blame him for it, but if he is going to be a special case, then perhaps he should not be in the army.

Eri

^ Why should he?  <_<  He has done his duty TWICE!!!  <_<  The last time he went and left with everybody else!!!

sandy

I think it was tempting fate to deploy him that second time. The media blabbed where he was even staying in Afghanistan. and there were already threats against him. I think Harry is more of a natural for charity work and should stick to that.

HsHCharlene

Quote from: Mike on May 13, 2013, 02:31:23 AM
As I understand it, the current Afghan deployment duration for US soldiers is 12 months.  I don't know for troops of other nations.

Double post auto-merged: May 13, 2013, 02:46:56 AM

Quote from: HsHCharlene on May 12, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
Harry will most likely be a career soldier because that is what suits him best and the MOD have made efforts to get him out into the field. He has been in the armed forces since 2005 making it 8 years and he is an O-6, a Captain.
Just a small point, while Harry is a Captain in the Army Air Corps, his pay grade is OF-2, not OF-6.  Maybe someday he'll be an OF-6.

British Army Captain

You're right Mike, I was in the US Navy and the Captain for us was O-6. But for our army an O-3 is a Captain and I guess the British army it is an OF-2.