Role of the Monarchy in Europe

Started by Macrobug, June 10, 2014, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

Graceanne

:goodpost: Thank you, Macrobug! That was a great contribution. I wish we had more discussion programs like that talking about the monarchy and it's future throughout the world. This discussion does highlight one of the biggest problems with the issue - they all made good points even though they did not necessarily agree with each other.

For anyone interested: the monarchy discussion starts @ 6:19 and goes to 23:36.

Macrobug

You're welcome!   Carolyn Harris is a historian here in Canada and is often interviewed regarding issues about the monarchy.  I find her to be quite insightful and informed.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Windsor

Thank you for posting this. Very interesting debate.

Limabeany

Quote from: Graceanne on June 10, 2014, 03:43:26 PM
:goodpost: Thank you, Macrobug! That was a great contribution. I wish we had more discussion programs like that talking about the monarchy and it's future throughout the world. This discussion does highlight one of the biggest problems with the issue - they all made good points even though they did not necessarily agree with each other.

For anyone interested: the monarchy discussion starts @ 6:19 and goes to 23:36.
:thanks: Macrobug and Graceanne. I don't have time to see it now but it sounds very interesting.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Graceanne

Quote from: Macrobug on June 10, 2014, 03:47:47 PM
You're welcome!   Carolyn Harris is a historian here in Canada and is often interviewed regarding issues about the monarchy.  I find her to be quite insightful and informed.

Do you have more open discussions or debates about the monarchy in Canada? Or is it along the lines of what we see and hear from the UK, strident for or against stand alone articles rather than discussions. I've been following a lot of the debates both for and against Scottish independence, which is my ancestry. These debates usually went very well even though everyone was passionate on both sides. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see more of that when it comes to the monarchy. 

Orchid

I'm in agreement with you on that count, Graceanne: it would be superbly interesting to hold more diverse discussions rather than opposition battles.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on June 10, 2014, 03:47:47 PM
Thank you for link to the radio program. I'm glad to see that the discussion featured viewpoints from Spain, the UK's Republic movement as well as Ms. Harris. The information that she gave on the history of abdication in Europe along with the history of British monarchy and it's ties to the Commonwealth were very accurate IMHO.

I'd be interested in reading more that she has to share.

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Macrobug

Quote from: Graceanne on June 10, 2014, 05:25:05 PM
Do you have more open discussions or debates about the monarchy in Canada? Or is it along the lines of what we see and hear from the UK, strident for or against stand alone articles rather than discussions. I've been following a lot of the debates both for and against Scottish independence, which is my ancestry. These debates usually went very well even though everyone was passionate on both sides. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see more of that when it comes to the monarchy.

Here is a link to the Monarchist League of Canada
The Monarchist League of Canada
GNU Terry Pratchett