Prince William to Become Full-Time Student to Study Agricultural Management

Started by cinrit, December 30, 2013, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuotePrince William is to become a full-time student again for 10 weeks in order to study agricultural management, Kensington Palace announced.

William, who has only just become father to Prince George is set to go back to University and will learn about the issues facing the UK's rural communities and farming industry.

The 31-year-old Duke of Cambridge will take up his course next week in the city of his namesake and it is expected that the studies will give him a good grounding for his future role running the Duchy of Cornwall.

Speaking about the course, a spokesman said William was "very much looking forward to it."

More: Prince William to become a full-time student again for 10 weeks | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

My boyfriend guessed this back in September. It will be good for William because I have a feeling he will take a big role in the management of the Duchy of Cornwall as Charles takes on more of the Queen's duties.
Farming makes up a large part of the Duchy's income.

Home | The Duchy of Cornwall

Double post auto-merged: December 30, 2013, 03:56:54 PM

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge is to spend 10 weeks at Cambridge University studying agricultural management in the New Year, Kensington Palace has announced.

He will attend seminars and lectures with other students as part of a "bespoke" course which will help him prepare for his future role in charge of the Duchy of Cornwall, which he will inherit when his father becomes king.
More: Duke of Cambridge to study agriculture at Cambridge University - Telegraph

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on December 30, 2013, 03:32:25 PM
My boyfriend guessed this back in September. It will be good for William because I have a feeling he will take a big role in the management of the Duchy of Cornwall as Charles takes on more of the Queen's duties.
Farming makes up a large part of the Duchy's income.

Home | The Duchy of Cornwall
[/quote Agriculture will always be an important aspect of any nation's economy.  :nod: People want to be fed after all. Considering that William is likely to be in this position as heir-to-the-heir for quite awhile, it's in his best interest to learn more about his nation's economic role at home and abroad. IMHO it's a good plan in addition to his taking on more royal duties.

The late Prince Claus of the NL encourage his son to take up water management as a side interest during his years as the Prince of Orange. It had him involved with an issue that was an important aspect for a nation that has had to cope with water for centuries.

cinrit

From Twitter:

Tim Ewart ‏@EwartRoyale
William will be at Cambridge Uni for 10 weeks with 18-20 hours of lectures per week. He'll have his own rooms if he wants to stay

aul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal
#royal Prince #William will not take exams and will not graduate - this is a bespoke executive education programme #backtoschool

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Student #PrinceWilliam will have accommodation while he studies at Cambridge University although he is not expected use them every night.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror
The course is designed to provide William with an understanding of contemporary issues affecting agricultural business and rural communities

Cindy

Jenee

Interesting... I have always wondered why he didn't major in something more useful in college.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Lady Adams

I applaud William for doing this-- it makes a lot of sense for him to learn more about issues he will eventually need to deal with once he is in charge of the Duchy.

The only thing that perplexes me is why he will be living in Cambridge...even part-time. ("William is expected to live in Cambridge for some of the while he is studying...") I thought part of the reason he left RAF was because he wanted to be around Kate and George. Cambridge isn't that far from London-- he could easily commute.  :hmm:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

It's not set in concrete that he'll be staying at Cambridge ... that was a journalist's guess.  Another journalist in another article guesses that he'll probably commute, and another guesses that he'll go home on the weekends.  Maybe on the days that he has a particularly heavy load of studying, he may stay overnight (or more).

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuotePrince William will almost certainly have to do some serious swotting on the high-powered bespoke 10-week agricultural management course at Cambridge University.

He is much more likely to end up burning the midnight oil than find his studies are a doddle.

The course will be run by the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership (CPSL) which has 25 years experience of teaching senior executives from multi-national firms, development banks and government agencies.
More: Prince William will find Cambridge University course far from easy - Mirror Online

sandy

William should be taking up public duties too since as the Queen gives appearances to Charles, he is naturally the next in line to take up Charles work. And not only Duchy work. Let's see how this all turns out. Maybe he should have done this right after Uni before he got married. I hope this doesn't mean Kate disappears and does very little.

NotWaitieKatie

I hope she doesn't feel the need to rent a house so she and George can be closer to William.
Just because you can.....Does not mean that you should.

Lady Adams

^
Honestly, I'd be a bit relieved if they rented a house, despite the expense. In the last year, W&K haven't spent a ton of time living under one roof (at least until after George was born)...I'd like to see them have the family time they claim they crave. At this point, I wonder if W&K are happier living apart.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

Press Release:

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge to Undertake an Agricultural Management Course

The Duke of Cambridge is to undertake a 10-week bespoke programme in agricultural management, organised by the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership at the University of Cambridge.

The executive education programme of seminars, lectures and meetings will draw on the strengths of academics across the university. It will start in early January and run until mid-March.

The course has been designed to help provide The Duke with an understanding of contemporary issues affecting agricultural business and rural communities in the United Kingdom.

More:  Press release

Cindy

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on December 31, 2013, 12:06:21 AM
William should be taking up public duties too since as the Queen gives appearances to Charles, he is naturally the next in line to take up Charles work. And not only Duchy work. Let's see how this all turns out. Maybe he should have done this right after Uni before he got married. I hope this doesn't mean Kate disappears and does very little.
The PoW, Princess Royal and DoC are now taking on some of HM's investiture duties.  Apparently they can run for a long time and HM was finding the standing and using her father's sword to be fatiguing. As the BRF begins their 2014 calendar, I believe that he will be taking on more of these duties. :) 

Trudie

Not that I am against William returning to school but why didn't Charles insist that William take relevant courses at St Andrews to prepare him for his future?. I really believe that instead of taking a bespoke course at Cambridge William should be learning from Charles and the trustees that actually run the Duchy. I don't recall Charles taking courses for this and he has helped make the Duchy more successful and profitable.

Eri

^ Pure PR spin to deflect attention from the fact he does nothing all day ... those tactics wouldn't be necessary if he was a functioning adult ...

Trudie

I have to agree with you here Eri. I truly believe Charles and the trustees could prepare him better then Cambridge. I found that out in college when I got my degree and went to work in my field. I learned more from working then I did in classes and a lot of what I learned wasn't even taught. Charles has involved himself deeply and hired advisers to guide him but as I said I don't believe he took Uni courses he just implemented his own ideas and sought advise as to whether or not they could work as was his success with organic farming and his Poundbury development.

cinrit

Of course, William will learn (and has learned) many things from his father's involvement with the Duchy.  But it never hurts to have a formal education in the field that will be your life's work.  I don't know anyone who's lost by furthering their education. 

Cindy

pandaanda

Yeah, its time to learn more about asparagus Seduction Meals - aphrodisiacs
Harry consumed a plate of asparagus for another reason than stopping increased area of bald patch, leaked by spin PR doctors of Pirnce William
Poor Kate, William needs to learn a lot but I am not shocked he knows big zero and he makes zero effect bcs any commoner except princess will moan and groan event this spoilt brat stands 2 metres away from the commoner girl who goes after a tiara
[admin] edited for inappropriate content [/admin]

cinrit

I'm sorry, but what does asparagus (which does nothing more than make your urine smell odd after eating it) have to do with William taking a course in agriculture?

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: Trudie on January 01, 2014, 12:27:28 PM
Not that I am against William returning to school but why didn't Charles insist that William take relevant courses at St Andrews to prepare him for his future?. I really believe that instead of taking a bespoke course at Cambridge William should be learning from Charles and the trustees that actually run the Duchy. I don't recall Charles taking courses for this and he has helped make the Duchy more successful and profitable.

He is doing both. William has been visiting farms on the Duchy and also attending council meetings. The course William is taking will be run by the Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership (CPSL) which has 25 years experience of teaching senior executives from multi-national firms, development banks and government agencies. Prince Charles is Patron of CPSL, so he obviously feels William will benefit from this.

Eri

Willy will learn by doing things not by PRETENDING to do something to deflect attention from the fact his grandfather (92) does more than he does !!!

PrincessOfPeace

I think you'll find Harry does the least of everyone and soon the media is going to ask questions about whether Harry is doing all he can do. When is the last time Harry has been in an Apache helicopter?

Eri

^ See? Deflection !!!  :sneeze: Harry has nothing to do with the topic at hand and turning the conversation on him won't change how useless Willy is !!!  :Lothwen: Besides that Harry is a rich man who can afford to do nothing all day Willy is the future King of England whose future depends on the good will of the people who are catching up to the fact they can do WITHOUT him ...