November 27, 2014, 10:54:38 PM

Author Topic: William and Harry heal rift with Earl Spencer  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Jmax2

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: William and Harry heal rift with Earl Spencer
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »
They are close enough for William to invite the Earl and his family to the wedding.

Think what a field day they press would have had, if the Earl hadn't been invited!
(The flap about not inviting Fergie was nothing compared to what that would have been like).
So really William hadn't much choice, if he didn't want a big controversy over it.  I imagine he invited the Earl, made a few civil remarks to him, then proceeded to forget he existed.   

What is more significant is that neither William nor Harry chose to attend the Earl's wedding!  :wink:

The deep hatred you seem to think they have for the Earl makes absolutely no sense given his actions.  He gave a mild speech, argued with his sister, and has gotten divorced a few times.  Nothing the royal family hasn't done.

I don't believe that William or Harry are as shallow or hypocritical as you imply.  I think Prince William chose to invite Earl Spencer because he wanted him there.  If he didn't, he wouldn't have bothered.  Why would he care about the press?  Papers like the DM are filled with royal sycophants who would have used it as an opportunity to humiliate the Earl.  If William hates him as much as you imply, wouldn't that make him happy?  Besides, the "controversy" over the failure to invite Fergie was barely a blip on the radar, despite her attempts to stir things up.  The controversy over the Earl could have been 100 times that and it still would have been forgotten in a couple of weeks.

As for the Earl's wedding, I believe he and Harry didn't go to the Earl's wedding because doing so would have been interpreted by the press (and most like his father and grandmother) as a slap in the face to the royals.   THAT would have created far more story than simply not inviting Earl Spencer to the wedding.  And, at the end of the day, why bother?  Does it really matter if the public knows what your relationship with your uncle is?  You know and he knows. 

At the end of the day, good sons don't go out of their way to upset their father or grandmother.  Especially when there's no good reason to do so.
The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.  ~Author Unknown

Online amabel

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    34.29%
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
It was not a mild speech.  It certainly roused gasps in our household and when I realise now how hypocritical Charles S' has been, I doubt if his nephews have too much time for him. I am sure that he was invited to W's wedding because he is family, no more than that.  People invite all sorts to weddings and family events because its family duty.  I don't say they hate him, but I highly doubt that they take too much notice of him. 

Offline blue eyes

• Head of State
  • RIF Veteran
  • Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
  • you never can tell
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
Amabel.. I agree..
To me that speech was full of arrogance and some of the comments were more about a backhanded way to blame than about all the great things she did.  He could have left out a few jabs.  Just my take on it .. nothing more.. we all see things differently..
 I dont know about there relationship, but I dont see him as someone I would want them looking to for advice.

Offline snokitty

• Harryites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »
He may be able to give them all kinds of good advise just maybe not about relationships but their own Father wasn't good at those either.

People don't generally cut family members out of their lives over a remark about someone else. Those boys loved their Mother and would want to have some type of connection to her. Whether some liked Diana and her family or not those boys do.  IMO
Harryite #12-010
“Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too”      Voltaire
Naivety and gullibility have nothing to do with age but more with one's outlook

Offline Jmax2

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
It was not a mild speech.  It certainly roused gasps in our household and when I realise now how hypocritical Charles S' has been, I doubt if his nephews have too much time for him. I am sure that he was invited to W's wedding because he is family, no more than that.  People invite all sorts to weddings and family events because its family duty.  I don't say they hate him, but I highly doubt that they take too much notice of him. 

Unless you are a very arrogant woman (which the Queen is) it was a mild speech.  Like I said, listen to it again. 

And, it would be very hypocritical of the princes to treat their uncle as an outcast given the litany of drug addicts and divorced people the royals count as friends.
The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Sandor

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: Elizabeth II
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
Everyone has his/her own opinion about this, and as someone remarked, we don't truly know their familial relationships.

But what I see is this:  Earl Spencer and his wife never seem to get invited to major events with a royal presence, do they?
If you discount William's wedding, when is he ever seen in the presence of the Queen?
(Or for that matter, in the presence of any other members of the RF?)

Yes, that's what I thought.   :nod:

Offline cinrit

• Forum Ambassador
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
How the Earl's speech was received by the general public 15 years ago, is totally different from how it is received today.  Fifteen years ago, it was generally believed to be what Amabel said ... a back-handed slap to the Royal Family.  Perhaps people see it differently today. 

As for William's and Harry's relationship with the Earl, it might be a little more difficult for them to feel as close to him as they feel to their Windsor relatives, if only because he lives in another country and they don't see him as often.  How they feel about him emotionally is something we'll probably never know.  And that's okay.

Cindy
We never grow up ... we just learn how to behave in public.

Offline snokitty

• Harryites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
Everyone has his/her own opinion about this, and as someone remarked, we don't truly know their familial relationships.

But what I see is this:  Earl Spencer and his wife never seem to get invited to major events with a royal presence, do they?
If you discount William's wedding, when is he ever seen in the presence of the Queen?
(Or for that matter, in the presence of any other members of the RF?)

Yes, that's what I thought.   :nod:

Your post seems to assume that because the Queen doesn't have a relationship with Charles Spencer that William & Harry don't either. I think they spend time with a lot of people who are never in the royal presence.
If William totally disliked his Uncle the way some want him to then he would have not been at his wedding. William has said numerous times that the Queen told him to invite whomever he wished. Charles Spencer was invited.   :nod:
Harryite #12-010
“Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too”      Voltaire

Offline dianab

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
^snokitty :goodpost:
@Jmax2
I agree completely with you posts.

IMO
William & Harry have none reason for loathes their uncle Charles Spencer because his speech. He dont tells no lie and/or denigrated Diana. That speech wasnt about some sort of Best Husband contest but about Diana & her life, for me Charles Spencer will be a hypocritical if he sell himself as some wonderful & supportive brother but not he only wrote about his sister, I dont know the why William & Harry should have any issue with his speech... I understand BRF & their fans dont likes the speech but William & Harry loves their mother and havent reasons for be against the speech of Charles Spencer.

About William & Harry dont attend his wedding ... I imagine you all are talking about this last wedding and for what I remember only the children of couple were invited... but I remember an talk William & Harry were invited to his 2nd wedding but not attend ... I also remember a talk the boys were disencouraged have relations with the Spencers and I think in that time (of his 2nd wedding) they were still at Eton and probably the BRF had say where they could or not goes.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:34:56 PM by dianab »

Offline Sandor

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
There were 175 guests at Earl Spencer's wedding, so it was hardly limited to his closest relatives.

It's true we don't know exactly how close William and Harry are to their uncle.
But I have never seen them photographed together in recent years, except for the wedding.

Offline Eri

• Harryite
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    18.57%
    • Favorite royal: Prince Harry
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »
To whine about Di loosing her Titles he should have analyzed why she lost them...but he didn't he just went on to be disrespectful to his Queen...besides pleaaase like they were that close (roll eyes) a little bit tooo latte to play the role of loving brother   :notamused: ...your sister's funeral isn't exactly the time and place to start doing that  :notamused:...

Offline dianab

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
 :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
 :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: He dont whine about Di loosing her Titles  :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Indeed, he said Diana hadn't need of it, she for herself was bigger than a HRH
In fact the 1rst Christmas that Diana spend away of boys she stayed with Charles Spencer & his family.
In 1997 she visited him in SA and in this same trip was when she met Nelson Mandela. And Charles Spencer was at Tate Gallery (?) when had charity party that Diana attended in her 36th birthday. I dont think they were closest to each other nor him hinted it in his speech nor he sells himself as a great brother in speech as I write in his speech he talks about Diana & her life.

@Sandor
For what I remember his sisters Sarah & Jane & their families also were not in wedding ... I dont know about others guests.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:23:18 AM by dianab »

Offline Jmax2

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »
To whine about Di loosing her Titles he should have analyzed why she lost them...but he didn't he just went on to be disrespectful to his Queen...besides pleaaase like they were that close (roll eyes) a little bit tooo latte to play the role of loving brother   :notamused: ...your sister's funeral isn't exactly the time and place to start doing that  :notamused:...

Earl Spencer is Diana's brother. And, if anyone, has the right to complain about her treatment, it's her family.  Yeah, he and Diana argued.  But, families do that.  But, if someone comes inbetween, they close ranks.  Charles W was no longer a part of that with his divorce. 

As for the Queen, that selfish old biddy was upset that the entire ceremony wasn't all about her  :pullhair:. But, honestly, who cares?   :Lothwen:  If her royal self-absorbtion doesn't want to speak to him, IMO that doesn't reflect badly on him.  It also doesn't prove W&H don't speak to him.  In fact, at PW's wedding, I thought they made a point of making a B-line over to the Spencers and speaking to them.  They didn't do the same for the Windsors.

There were 175 guests at Earl Spencer's wedding, so it was hardly limited to his closest relatives.

It's true we don't know exactly how close William and Harry are to their uncle.
But I have never seen them photographed together in recent years, except for the wedding.

Being photographed together doesn't prove or disprove anything.  In this day and age, everyone knows public relationships can be faked.   :nod:

Offline Sandor

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
Perhaps you're right.

But I still have the impression that William doesn't like him.

(To be fair, that might be because I don't like him).   >(

Offline Jmax2

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
I don't love him, but I don't think he's horrible either.  He's a typical rich guy.

What bugs me though is the sheer hypocrisy of the Windsors behaving as if they are any better.

Offline missing diana

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:58 AM »
I think that "she needed no royal title" is a definite saying "you royals let her down and she showed you that without her royal title she was still able to be a public figure, and a force for good.  She didn't need your title and your backing." 

Excellent post!

Offline Eri

• Harryite
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    18.57%
    • Favorite royal: Prince Harry
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
Diana did things too like helping with books behind Liz's back and airing the family's dirty laundry to complete strangers looking for sympathy ...nearly bringing The Monarchy down in the process ...of course she had NO right to Prince Charles's Title anymore ...why would anyone be upset about Di loosing Prince Charles's Title? That is the least Liz could do to her...

Offline snokitty

• Harryites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
HRH is a title for Royalty it is not as if Charles has some sort of copyright on it. She should have been able to keep the title because her Son's are heirs to the throne. If Charles wants to be called the Princess of Wales though I will accommodate him.   :teehee:

People always seem to forget that Diana could not have told anyone anything about what had been done to her if Charles had not done those things.

Everyone talks to someone about their problems in life but Diana was the only one not allowed to do so in some peoples minds.
Harryite #12-010

Offline cinrit

• Forum Ambassador
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
Wives not born into the Royal Family attain the HRH from their spouse, much like women attain the "Mrs." title upon marriage.  And like women who lose the "Mrs." title upon divorce, so do women lose their HRH upon divorce.  It's just the way it works.

Cindy
We never grow up ... we just learn how to behave in public.

Offline snokitty

• Harryites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
That is not the way it works especially if women have children, they keep the name. They took her HRH away for spite. William has even said that he would give it back to his Mother after the divorce.
Harryite #12-010

Offline Felicia

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
No-the name yes, the HRH no.And I strongly doubt William would do so now-he is supposed to have said that to Diana at the time of the divorce-as a child of 15.No public verification of it

Earl Spencer-who knows.I think he is quite a complex man but I think there is little doubt that he has a bad history with relationships -infinitely worse that the Prince of Wales-and also is arrogant.The speech was not mild.Now, it was a very heated time-but it was not the time to try to open up a breach between two families in shock-which is what they were.

William does seem to have good  relations with his two Spencer aunts -inviting them eg to his passing out parades etc-but little evidence of that with his Uncle

Online amabel

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    34.29%
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
I can understand why he did it, but after all, it seems to me that he has not treated HIS wives any better than Charles treated Diana.. in fact given that he's had 2 divorces and it seems several extra marital affairs, he's hardly in a position to throw stones. IN addition, he wasn't that much support to Diana during her bad times either. I think that he felt guilty at the time and made the speech in anger and hurt.. And he's lived in S Africa a good deal so I would say that he has not seen that much of Will and Harry.  So I wound't say that they have a close relationship.

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites