Author Topic: Carol Goldsmith Middleton  (Read 22906 times)

Offline Kate

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • You just gotta keep trying....
Carol Goldsmith Middleton
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
I just came across an article saying that Kate's mother was a Goldsmith, prior to her marriage... Is this from the Elite family Goldsmith?? Is this OLD news? 
Does anyone know?? :blush:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:24:30 PM by Kate »

Offline serene grace

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Carol Goldsmith Middleton
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
NOT.

The making of the Middletons: How Kate's family rose from a condemned flat to the verge of royalty-DMAIL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-505106/The-making-Middletons-How-Kates-family-rose-condemned-flat-verge-royalty.html
 DAILY MAIL-They are an ordinary family who through hard work, determination and a keen eye for social niceties overcame deprivation and adversity in just two generations to produce a young woman on the brink of joining the Royal Family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-505106/The-making-Middletons-How-Kates-family-rose-condemned-flat-verge-royalty.html
Kate's family story begins in a small terrace house in Clarence Street, Southall, where Edith and her labourer husband Stephen raised six children. ,,back then was a white working-class suburb that provided labour for huge factories, railway depots and engineering works. Life was a struggle for the Goldsmiths.

Dorothy always took a great deal of pride in her appearance but she and Ron were so poor she had to borrow her going-away outfit from Ron's sister Joyce. After their marriage Ron and Dorothy squeezed into the Goldsmith family's Dudley Road flat and Kate's mother Carole was born there in 1955.
Being poor did not suit Dorothy. She had grown up in a run-down street in Southall. Her father Thomas Harrison - Kate's other grandfather - was a carpenter. He had moved the family to London from the Durham coalfields when Dorothy was just a child.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:13:13 PM by serene grace »

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

Offline Kate

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • You just gotta keep trying....
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
Thanks SG.... 
I certainly missed this one... I got all excited when seeing the name Goldsmith, but wondered if they were connected to THEE Goldsmiths why not more about the connection... Geez... Thanks

Offline Satrine

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
It's possible. Look at Kate family, they are weathy, went to great schools,etc. then you have the relatives in Austraila who are not. Family trees can be huge and just like the royals, children are born out of wedlock and a new branch begins except not as weathly. Not saying this is the case w/Goldsmiths, nothing is impossible. I am sure that if Kate marries William we will hear alot more about it.
"OUR LIVES BEGIN TO END THE DAY WE BECOME SILENT ABOUT THINGS THAT MATTER"

-MARTIN LUTHER KING

Offline Miss Scarlett

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:19:01 PM »
The Goldsmiths are the more humble branch of Kate's family.  They are coal mining stock.  That is why Carole and her first cousin who lives in Australia don't know each other --Carole's mother had social ambitions and cut her family off from her relatives whose association would hold them back.  It worked, because Carole "married up" when she married Michael Middleton.  Most of Carole's family were not invited to the wedding because Dorothy did not consider them "good enough" to attend her daughter's wedding to a Middleton.

The Middletons are the more affluent side, what with their Lupton illegitimate connection to a 14th century king and all that.  Also, professionalism runs pretty far back in that family --lawyers mostly, and a few business owners, I think.  MapleLeaf did some pretty thorough research awhile back, and Michael Middleton's family have been solicitors and barristers since the early 1800s I think. 

Offline GreenLily

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
I thought Carole and Michael met at work.

Offline serene grace

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:32:59 AM »
yes both airline workers

"'Kate was going out with a bloke called Rupert Finch,' says a source. 'Soon afterwards, though, they split up and I remember William saying that he thought he might "have a go".'-TheGuardian-Observer: "Girl Interrupted"

Offline GreenLily

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:30 AM »
Oh, the "marriage up" was social not financial? Otherwise, why were they at the same job?

Offline wheet

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Harryite #0114
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:10 AM »
He's described as a pilot sometimes, sometimes as 'member of the cabin crew'; someone mentioned "officer?" (I think).   If I am not mistaken, I saw somewhere that Michael's father was also an airline pilot.   
It does not sound as if the Lupton link implies wealth in their case, otherwise, there would be no need to start PP 'to pay for children's schooling'.

From my POV, none of that (money, lineage).....is particularly relevant except that it gives us glimpses of attitudes.

Offline Lucy

• Willites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ride the wild surf ~
    • Favorite royal: Lady Louise
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:47:05 AM »
Oh, the "marriage up" was social not financial? Otherwise, why were they at the same job?

'Marriage up?'
Married for love, looks like. Often a pilot will marry a colleague. Know two married couples who met that way, one on American and one on BA.

DIANISTA # 1
HARRY'S ARMY

Offline GreenLily

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
That would have been my assumption too since they were at the same job, but several people seem to think that Carole married up when she married Michael.

He's described as a pilot sometimes, sometimes as 'member of the cabin crew'; someone mentioned "officer?" (I think).   If I am not mistaken, I saw somewhere that Michael's father was also an airline pilot.   

Thanks for the explanation!

Offline Polo Fan

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 05:09:32 AM »
The Goldsmiths are the more humble branch of Kate's family.  They are coal mining stock.

Add the chewing-gum incident and you have the biggest laugh of your life.  :lmao3:

Waity's mum is so tacky.  :chuckle:

Offline MapleLeaf

• Jen (O)(O) my Fav Hottie!!
  • RIF Veteran
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Willite #79
    • Favorite royal: Prince William
    • Visit the Royal Forum channel on Youtube!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
Carole Middleton married "up" socially.  I don't know if Michael Middleton had any of the Lupton family money, but it's true that the Lupton and the Middleton families were and are upper middle class.  Michael Middleton's father Peter was the first male Middleton who didn't become an attorney.  He became a pilot instead.  

Carole Middleton's family on both sides are definitely working class.  That's why Carole married "up" when she married Michael Middleton.  I did read that only one of Carole's relatives was invited to her wedding. Carole's mum, Dorothy Goldsmith, supposedly separated herself from both her own family and from her husband's family after the Goldsmiths moved to a better neighbourhood when Carole was 11 years old.

Supposedly Carole's mother Dorothy insisted that Carole learn to speak a certain way, and go to some sort of charm school.  I do believe that Carole Middleton's mother wanted to leave her roots as far behind as possible, and maybe Carole felt the same way?

I have to say that I've never seen Carole Middleton dressed in a tacky way in any of the photos, her clothes look nice on her and she has a nice figure.  Also, supposedly Carole Middleton's english and grammar are very normal and typical for a 'Home Counties' mum. 

Maybe her mother Dorothy drilled her on her speaking and vocabulary?  If she really did send her to 'charm school' or have her take a charm course, she must've had the idea for Carole to marry "up" for a long time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:22:21 AM by MapleLeaf »
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

Offline wheet

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Harryite #0114
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
It sounds like that.   Where did you read about the "charm school?".  Also I never heard that her mother separated herself from her own family, though it's consistent with other information we read.

Offline Polo Fan

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:48 AM »
Thank's for the explanation Maple Leaf  :thumbsup: but I have to confess that now I find them even more tacky.  :notamused:

They are a family with a very disgusting behaviour always thinking that they are better than everybody when in fact they are the nobodys.  :o

Offline serene grace

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 05:33:06 AM »
Add the chewing-gum incident and you have the biggest laugh of your life.  :lmao3:

Waity's mum is so tacky.  :chuckle:

I can't imagine what went on for her to keep chewing that gum, knowing cameras and the Queen might spot her doing it.
"(Hide the gum)
 :ninja:

Offline Kuei Fei

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Business Links
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 05:34:24 AM »
Of all the low things, ditching one family because they aren't posh enough. It's one thing to go to charm school to perhaps learn how to speak well, or comport oneself in an appropriate manner, but seriously, kicking family out because they don't come from the 'right' background.

Considering Carole hails right from that background, I find it twice as revolting. She reminds me of poeple like Jackie O's mother who was a learned lady and was twice as harsh on Jackie and her sister. Basically new money who married into old and then decide to be doubly strict about the rules. In this case Carole sound intolerable.

As for the gum, her training was perhaps lapsing?

Offline Ceridwen

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »
I can't imagine what went on for her to keep chewing that gum, knowing cameras and the Queen might spot her doing it.
"(Hide the gum)
 :ninja:

I've read from a previous poster that the reason that Carole was chewing gum was because she's a smoker & chewing gum helped lessened the nicotine craving (or something like that).

Offline serene grace

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 05:45:56 AM »
I knew about the smoking gum excuse, but there is no way a person with real culture, or class would chew gum knowing all those cameras and especially the Queen may be eyeing you.

It was such a mistake, the image has set her in stone in the press and some public minds as tacky.
How about a Patch Ma.

Offline MapleLeaf

• Jen (O)(O) my Fav Hottie!!
  • RIF Veteran
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Willite #79
    • Favorite royal: Prince William
    • Visit the Royal Forum channel on Youtube!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 05:52:41 AM »
It sounds like that.   Where did you read about the "charm school?".  Also I never heard that her mother separated herself from her own family, though it's consistent with other information we read.

It wasn't in the Daily Mail article, but I do remember reading that Dorothy Goldsmith had Carole to take some sort of Charm course or something when she was still in school.

The article by Claudia Joseph in the DM did say that Dorothy Goldsmith was called "Lady" Dorothy by family members.  It also told about Dorothy having a falling out with their family:

"I don't know where Dorothy got her airs and graces from. She always thought she was one cut above everybody else. Dorothy learnt her trade from me. She was a good saleswoman but she was a bit of a snob. The whole family used to call her 'Lady' Dorothy."

The rift was so bad that the only members of the family invited to Carole's wedding in 1980 were Joyce and Ann.

Carole Goldsmith's marriage to Michael Middleton was, in a sense, the culmination of all that Dorothy had set out to achieve. Carole was working as an air stewardess at the airline BOAC when she fell in love with Michael, a fellow steward five years her senior.

The article also said this about Dorothy Goldsmith:

"My grandmother used to grumble about Dorothy because she used to hen-peck her Ronald. She always wanted more and more money. She wanted to be the top brick in the chimney. She was too good for the rest of us."

For the next decade, Dorothy and Ron moved up the social ladder, first moving out of the flat to a council flat, then buying their own small flat with financial help from Ron's successful brother-in-law Bill.

But it was not until 1966 when Carole was 11 - a year after the birth of her brother Gary - that they moved into their first proper family home, in Kingsbridge Road, Norwood Green, the posh end of Southall. The family lived there for 25 years until the children left home.

It sounds like Dorothy Goldsmith was determined to move away from poverty and her working class roots to something better.  It seems as if she instilled that same desire in her daughter Carole as well.

I'll research to find the link to the article that mentions a charm course.  Also,  I read in the 'Leeds connection' article from the Telegraph that Michael Middleton was a pilot, not a steward. 

As a matter of fact, all of the articles about Michael Middleton say that he was a pilot like his father.  Claudia Joseph's article is the only one that said Michael Middleton was a steward.
:happycanada:

Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley
:xmas10:

Offline Polo Fan

• Courtier
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 06:05:57 AM »
Nicotine gum or not it was tacky anyway.   :notamused:

Offline Alexia

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

Offline harmony

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »
Carole Middleton seems to be nice person, definitely more personable than her daughter, Kate Middleton, JMO.

Offline Eleanor P

• Palace Visitor
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
Obviously blind social climbing at any cost is a bad thing.  But I don't get all the criticism heaped on Dorothy for wanting to improve her family's position.  They moved out of their family flat into a "council flat" - isn't that like project housing in America?  May be she is to be commended for beginning there and raising a daughter who fits comfortably into the middle class instead of criticised.  As for the family members who called her "Lady Dorothy" and found her snobbish, people who lack motivation and don't mind the squalor of their own lives frequently say similar things about people who do.  It doesn't make it true.  I think it far more snobbish to assume Dorothy was born working class, therefore how dare she presume to die anything else?

Offline Miss Scarlett

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
Some articles mention that Michael Middleton did have a trust fund of his own, some GBP200,000 or so.  He and Carole supposedly used this to finance Party Pieces.  I do think that Michael's family had/has money, but perhaps Michael and Carole could not finance their schools because, with a small trust fund, that is really not enough to pay for all those years at Marlborough.  Most people, even those from wealthy families and with trust funds, do not really come into the true wealth of the family until the parents and grandparents die.  I'm sure Michael inherited a pretty tidy sum when his parents passed away. (I know his mother has...  Has his father, as well?)

Michael and Carole obviously wanted to make their own money to support their family how Carole wanted, before Michael inherited anything, because, obviously, that would be too late to send a child to boarding school.