Tiaras for Royal wives (Meghan)

Started by Yale, January 17, 2017, 05:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yale

Are tiaras especially made for each royal wife months before the wedding date or are there several already created?

I was just wondering about what Meghan will look like if she and Harry marry.

Curryong

^ Most tiaras worn by Royal brides, or by the relatives of royals, wear known tiaras. Princess Elizabeth, now the Queen, wore the Queen Mary fringe, which had been given to her grandmother by Queen Victoria. Anne also wore the Diamond Fringe. Autumn Phillips borrowed Anne's Festoon tiara, (a gift to Anne for naming a ship) while Zara wore her mother's Meander (Greek Key) tiara, given to Anne by the Queen.

Catherine wore the Cartier Halo Scroll, borrowed from Queen Elizabeth. Sophie wore a tiara that was supposedly composed of sections of one of Queen Victoria's pieces of jewellery, however the provenance is still a bit of a mystery. Sarah Ferguson's wedding tiara is the exception. The Queen purchased a new tiara for her from Garrards the Royal jewellers.

We don't know whether Meghan will wear a tiara when/if she marries Harry. If she does my guess is that one of the beginner tiaras will be borrowed. Royal brides marrying in are not given large pieces and I can't see the Queen repeating the Sarah experiment, though there is an off chance that Charles may buy one as a gift. I suppose she could wear one of Camilla's necklaces that convert into diadems, but I don't think so. Any tiara is likely to come out of the vault at BP IMHO.

TLLK

Thank you for starting this thread @Yale! If it still exists I  would love to see the Strathmore Rose tiara on someone. I agree with @Curryong  that Harry's wife would start with one of  the smaller pieces and  then would be given a permanent loan from the monarch.

Tiddles88

Traditionally, a lady wears a tiara from her family for her wedding, and thereafter tiaras from her husbands family. Meghan's got a fair bit of money herself, so she might get a bespoke one to wear at the wedding. If so, I think she'd look really good with a emerald and diamond tiara.

ETA: I don't think it'll happen though; if Meghan and Harry tie the knot, she'll be lent a smaller royal piece.

Edit 2: spelling matters!

Curryong

Meghan might get a tiara that hasn't been seen for a very long time like the Strathmore Rose or the Queen Mary Bandeau which the Queen Mother wore as Duchess of York. Charles may buy one for her to wear which will go down the Sussex line if Harry becomes Duke of Sussex. Of course, although it's not in the BRF tradition Meghan could go the Princess Charlene of Monaco route and have a large jewelled brooch holding her veil back. I think Charlene is spectacular in her fashion choices and she looked stunning on her wedding day.

TLLK

I'm hoping that Harry's future bride will be loaned a historic piece for her use or that the family would opt to purchase one for her to wear. I would rather that they didn't go the "creative" route that was used for Sophie's first tiara reportedly made from other jeweled pieces that once belonged to Queen Victoria. That tiara still doesn't work IMHO.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Sophie's Wedding Tiara

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

^ I agree Sophie's tiara doesn't work. The thought was there, I suppose, give a tiara made from historic pieces worn by Queen Victoria. However, although apparently a leading jeweller worked on the resulting tiara it just looks cobbled together. Plus, poor old Sophie also had to wear a necklace designed by her loving fiancé for her big day, which was frankly hideous.

Cat00

I'm not sure if he'll marry her anymore, her family is very trash  :wacko:

Curryong

^ Meghan hasn't had any contact with most of them, especially the half-bother, for well over a decade.

wannable

Whoever Harry marries, it - tiara will always be less impressive than future Queen Kate...

Matter of fact when Kate is Queen she will have a say, almost like a final word to that of King William of loans of crown estate jewelry to Meg's.

She and Harry would need to amass personal jewelry to top anything Kate and William have and will have, inheritance included will and always goes the best to the monarch, and is passed down to George.

It has always been that way, keeps their power forever, the oldest monarchy/firm.

FanDianaFancy

I would assume a smaller  tiara, head band looking.  I would  assume a smaller, scaled down wedding  too and a repeat  of Andrew's  in the high  and mighty 80's.

I assume because MM is  divorced,  and  she and PH  are older , mature couple,  their wedding would  be  like Ed nd Sophies  ' which  was  , to me,  befitting, and classy.

TLLK

Yes I agree @FanDianaFancy that Edward and Sophie did have a classy wedding befitting the younger son of the monarch. I wouldn't be surprised if St. George's Windsor is a  potential site if Harry should marry.

Using the Cartier Halo as a wedding tiara for Harry's bride would be the start of a lovely tradition IMO.

Curryong

Trust Queen Mary to have snapped up the Vladimir tiara!  That woman adored jewels and objects de art and had an unerring eye for a bargain. The large amount of Russian jewellery flooding world markets in the 1920s was a happy hunting ground for her! All the same I can't see Meghan wearing this. It seems to be reserved for Queens and it will be transferred to Charles like the rest of the important BRF jewellery, as monarch to monarch legacies avoid death duties. Camilla will be the next wearer if she survives the Queen.

I think Meghan may get a reworked piece from the vaults like the Strathmore that hasn't been seen for some time, or a bespoke tiara for her wedding day like Fergie received, and then, like Sophie, will just borrow from the Royal collection as the need arises.

TLLK

QuoteI think Meghan may get a reworked piece from the vaults like the Strathmore that hasn't been seen for some time, or a bespoke tiara for her wedding day like Fergie received, and then, like Sophie, will just borrow from the Royal collection as the need arises.

Firmly on Team Strathmore! Hope that it has survived the decades. If Harry's future wife receives a bespoke tiara, I sincerely hope it is a better design than Sophie's wedding tiara.  Sarah's was one of my favorites and Harry's future wife should receive one that is similar in size and quality.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 22, 2017, 06:17:33 PM
Yes I agree @FanDianaFancy that Edward and Sophie did have a classy wedding befitting the younger son of the monarch. I wouldn't be surprised if St. George's Windsor is a  potential site if Harry should marry.

[/quote]
Not at all.  Edwrard got stuck with Windsor because of the timing, only 2 years after Diana's death. 
Charles only has 2 kids, his second son wont have such a big wedding as Will, but it wont be in Windsor in a small place.

Double post auto-merged: June 06, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Quote from: Curryong on January 22, 2017, 04:59:44 AM
^ Meghan hasn't had any contact with most of them, especially the half-bother, for well over a decade.
I'd bet thtat if she gets engaged to harry, the press will be waving cheque books at Meghan's "trashy" family and letting them chatter on about her..

My2Pence

I adore the Strathmore, but it is said to be too fragile to wear. The entire frame and setting would have to be redone.  Whomever Harry marries, my bet is on the Teck Crescent, which hasn't been worn in decades.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Teck Tiaras

Curryong

Isn't the Teck Crescent now with Camilla, part of the haul left by the QM and subsequently given to Charles by the Queen? Of course, Camilla has her favourite big tiaras and so she might be willing to lend this one. It certainly seems to need big hair which Meghan could manage (with extensions.)

LouisFerdinand

The Teck Crescent Tiara would be a beautiful "something borrowed" item for a bride.