Toys Are We: 250 Years of Royal Childhood at Buckingham Palace

Started by cinrit, July 25, 2014, 11:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteA lifetime of speeches for the monarch has meant dutifully delivering the scripted words of others, a practice she perfected in the pushchair, it would seem. For the first words the Queeen uttered, aged 13 months, were "mama" and "bebe", according to her baby progress book. Which is surprising, given that her parents had set sail to Australia five months previously and had yet to return to her.

The book, which notes her first tooth (26 January 1927), when she began to crawl (11th April 1927) and her first pram outing (at 10 days old), is one of hundreds of items, including outfits, toys, christening paraphernalia, lavish gifts and previously unseen family film, now on public display at an exhibition at Buckingham Palace charting 250 years of royal childhood.

Historians may detect behind the baby words the hand of Allah, as Princess Elizabeth's nanny, Clara Knight, was nicknamed. Knight spent months patiently coaching her infant charge to enunciate "mummy" while her parents were away. As Ben Pimlott, the Queen's biographer, dryly observed, there being no one to whom the word accurately applied it led to Elizabeth greeting "everybody she came across, including family portraits, with the salutation 'mummy, mummy'."

Down the line, Prince George got a handmade rocking horse, courtesy of Barack Obama, complete with American presidential seal on the saddle, personalised plaque, and polo mallet, its head carved from the branch of an oak tree from the White House lawn. That gift joins a crowded stable of rocking horses, including the toys Caesar and Beauty, which belonged to Elizabeth and Margaret, also on show.

More: Toys are we: 250 years of royal childhood at Buckingham Palace | UK news | The Guardian

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

wannable

HereditaryPrincess

I plan on visiting Buckingham Palace and Clarence House next weekend (I thought it was this weekend but found out Clarence House doesn't open until August), so am looking forward to the exhibition. :)

QuoteGifts given to Prince George – from a rocking horse to a silver breakfast set – are some of the star attractions of a new exhibition opening the nursery door on royal childhood.
The items are part of a collection of well-loved toys, treasured family presents, photographs and tiny outfits belonging to nine generations of royal children going on public display from tomorrow at Buckingham Palace.
The exhibition also paints an intimate picture of the Queen as a child growing up and later as a mother herself, enjoying private moments with her own children.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/royalfamilyvideo/10991188/Royals-childhood-treasures-on-show.html

TLLK

cinrit

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: July 26, 2014, 11:59:51 AM

Quote250 Years of Royal Childhood at Buckingham Palace - In Pictures

A special exhibition of objects from the British royal family's childhood opens at Buckingham Palace on Saturday, 25 July, featuring well-loved toys including a miniature James Bond car, school exercise books and children's outfits.

Pictures: 250 years of royal childhood at Buckingham Palace - in pictures | UK news | theguardian.com 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HereditaryPrincess

wannable

I enjoyed the latest story of HM and her childhood friend, and understand why other than the latest addition - George - this exhibition.

HereditaryPrincess

OK, so yesterday I visited Buckingham Palace instead of the mentioned date (there was a problem with the booking :D). I saw the exhibition and thoroughly enjoyed it. The exhibition also included the dress that Lady Louise wore in the photo of her and her parents with HM and Prince Philip at Balmoral in 2004, and it looks so adorable close up. I also watched the home videos which were sweet, and the broadcast of the then Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose's address on Children's Hour. They also showed some schoolbooks of Prince William, as well as chairs used by him, Prince Harry and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie when they were little. Some of my other favourite things from the exhibition was a story that HM wrote for her friend Sonia at the age of seven, as well as the blanket that the Obamas gave Prince George. You also got to see the plaque that was put up to announce George's birth.

I'd recommend the exhibition and have tried not to give too much away incase anyone here is planning on visiting!

HereditaryPrincess

QuoteFor the second year running, the photography team at the Telegraph magazine was privileged to cover the lead up to the summer opening of the state rooms at Buckingham Palace. This year we were treated to a glimpse into the world of the Royal children, via an exhibition celebrating nine generations of play.
This is one of the most exciting weeks in our calendar. When else do we see the Palace filled with stepladders and paint pots, saws and hammers?

Shoot Stories: Ben Murphy - Telegraph

TLLK

^^^So glad that you enjoyed it and that the current members of the BRF were willing to share their personal belongings to the exhibition.