Queen Forced to Spend Summer Elsewhere as Tourists Trump Royalty at Balmoral

Started by cinrit, July 28, 2014, 11:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteTHE Queen is being forced to spend the start of her annual summer holiday in a lodge because tourists are still roaming around her Scottish retreat.

The monarch headed to Balmoral after opening the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.  But she will have to make way for tourists at the castle on Royal Deeside.

The Queen is thought to have moved into the seven-bedroom Craigowan Lodge, about a mile away, and will remain at least until the end of next week.

More: Queen forced to spend summer elsewhere as tourists trump royalty at her Balmoral retreat - Daily Record

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

I have to wonder what will be the future of the royal estates as the costs to maintain them will continue to rise. I know that Sandringham and Balmoral are working estates with the land being farmed and used for livestock, but I can see how the monarch will need to rely upon tourists to continue raising funds.I wonder if Charles or William might need to sell off part of each estate?

Canuck

If I had to guess, I'd say they're more likely to lease them out than to sell them.  Charles seems very concerned with preserving historical properties, and leasing would ensure continued control (and retaining those assets for the future) while offloading the expenses associated with the properties.

Curryong

Unlike his father and grandmother I don't think William is very fond of the two private properties, Balmoral and Sandringham. Of the two I believe Balmoral faces the more uncertain future.

It may change as William's child(ren) grow but I just don't see him playing the Scottish laird and devoting a month or more to residence at Balmoral every summer, stalking and horse-riding, taking long walks through the heather, etc., especially as Kate doesn't seem to particularly like the place.

I certainly think that if and when William gets to the throne Balmoral and Birkhall will be leased and some of the estate sold off.

Izabella

QuoteTHE Queen is being forced to spend the start of her annual summer holiday in a lodge because tourists are still roaming around her Scottish retreat.

Aw! That sucks. :Lothwen:

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

cate1949

doesn't this happen every summer?  I read someplace that it does - and the lodge HHM stays in is hardly economy class living

Double post auto-merged: July 29, 2014, 11:09:07 AM

Craig Gowan Lodge On Balmoral Estate Scotland News Photo 52116801 | Getty Images//

rough living

wannable

Quote from: Curryong on July 29, 2014, 04:26:00 AM
Unlike his father and grandmother I don't think William is very fond of the two private properties, Balmoral and Sandringham. Of the two I believe Balmoral faces the more uncertain future.

It may change as William's child(ren) grow but I just don't see him playing the Scottish laird and devoting a month or more to residence at Balmoral every summer, stalking and horse-riding, taking long walks through the heather, etc., especially as Kate doesn't seem to particularly like the place.

I certainly think that if and when William gets to the throne Balmoral and Birkhall will be leased and some of the estate sold off.

Balmoral
I think he loves it. It's one of his favorite countryside retreats. Many times unknown to the public, but certainly paped with Kate and friends, and Harry during university. There are many childhood pics of the brothers with dad also.

He has a cottage, Tam-na-Ghar, he spent lots of weekends there with Kate during there St. Andrew years.

I doubt he will sell it, great hunting area.

Sandringham
William just recently was gifted Anmer Hall. Selling Sandringham would devalue the entire property and land.

Limabeany

Quote from: cate1949 on July 29, 2014, 11:07:18 AM
doesn't this happen every summer?  I read someplace that it does - and the lodge HHM stays in is hardly economy class living

Double post auto-merged: July 29, 2014, 11:09:07 AM

Craig Gowan Lodge On Balmoral Estate Scotland News Photo 52116801 | Getty Images//

rough living
Thanks for the pic!  :hug: It is hardly slumming it...  :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: Macrobug on July 29, 2014, 04:46:50 AM
The 50 room lodge with servants?  Rough.
Come on, Macrobug, you and I could not manage under those deplorable conditions!  :Jen: :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Macrobug

You are right. I would find it rustic and I should be more understanding.   It will be a challenge.  But one I am sure a strong lady like QE will be able to surmount
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

^^I agree William (and Harry) were certainly fond of Balmoral in their childhood days, learning to fish, stalk deer with their father and other relatives. His house on the estate was a weekend refuge when he was at St Andrew's, a Scottish university, therefore not a million miles away.

Nowadays, not so much, as William and Kate search for the sun, with or without the Middletons. I have no doubt he, if not Kate, does enjoy catching up with his father, grandparents and other relatives for an odd long weekend or two in the summer.

However, when William is King these relatives will be gone or much fewer in number. As Balmoral is a private residence much of the cost of maintaining the castle and the estate devolves on to the monarch.

For the whole thing to remain financially viable William would have to stay at Balmoral for as long as the Queen does each year. He may do so.

I doubt it unfortunately, and the castle may well be leased in the future or pieces of the estate sold off. I agree, it would be a shame but I believe in the future it might happen.

Limabeany

I agree with Curryong, although he has happy memories from his childhood at Balmoral, William seems to prefer the sun and skiing to the countryside pleasures of Balmoral. I don't see much future for it beyond Charles...

georgiana996

Quote from: Curryong on July 29, 2014, 12:00:41 PM
^^I agree William (and Harry) were certainly fond of Balmoral in their childhood days, learning to fish, stalk deer with their father and other relatives. His house on the estate was a weekend refuge when he was at St Andrew's, a Scottish university, therefore not a million miles away.

Nowadays, not so much, as William and Kate search for the sun, with or without the Middletons. I have no doubt he, if not Kate, does enjoy catching up with his father, grandparents and other relatives for an odd long weekend or two in the summer.

However, when William is King these relatives will be gone or much fewer in number. As Balmoral is a private residence much of the cost of maintaining the castle and the estate devolves on to the monarch.

For the whole thing to remain financially viable William would have to stay at Balmoral for as long as the Queen does each year. He may do so.

I doubt it unfortunately, and the castle may well be leased in the future or pieces of the estate sold off. I agree, it would be a shame but I believe in the future it might happen.

I dont see much future for any of the stately homes beyond Charles , William shows little to no interest ..hopefully harry might do something  :notamused:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

Limabeany

I agree Goergianna... I don't think Harry would be able to do much.

georgiana996

Harry would if he had Charles brains when it comes to these things  :windsor1:

Limabeany

georgiana996

That didn't stop Charles , Harry will have a country residence along with his London Apt and some other homes eventually .

cinrit

Assuming the Queen wills both estates to Charles, which is likely, Charles can then will it to anyone he wishes.  I'm sure Harry will be given a beautiful country home, but it's more likely that Sandringham and Balmoral will be left to William.

Cindy

georgiana996

That doesnt mean he cant exert influence as a member of the family (he will be living in most of them ), in case worst comes to worst  like  curryong mentioned in her post , someone with Charles interest can do wonders for such homes , eg - Dumfries house , what he did with it was brilliant  :thumbsup: if w or h have the brains they too could continue but like some of us said we cant see it lasting beyond Charles  :censored2:

cinrit

^^ Yes, of course, and we're all allowed our own opinion of what might happen.  I tend to think that William understands the continuity of these estates, and wouldn't consider selling them, or any of the property inside.  I agree with Canuck that it would be more likely that they would be leased; that is, if the need ever arose.

Cindy

georgiana996

Judging William (&harry) so far its Safe to say he isn't like his father , his father is much more driven and passionate , PoW or not at the age of 32 you can tell how someone is and imo he isn't going to suddenly change . A lot of castles and estates around  Europe are being bought by business tycoons , who's to say it wont happen in the future when Charles and  the Queen aren't there to take care .

Limabeany

I think Harry has shown he has a direction in which he wants to and is taking his charitable work and drive (founding Sentebale at such a young age and sticking with it), he got involved with the garden project (it has been reported he enjoys that). Harry appears to have passions, interests that are visible, so I would not lump Harry with William.

georgiana996

When William was Harrys age people said the same thing about him , and fast forward 3 yrs later he isnt that impressive  <_< I feel harry is equally spoilt and wont be very different when he is Williams age in another 3 yrs .

Limabeany

I don't understand your post, Harry started Sentebale at a very young age, at Harry's age William was marrying Kate and doing nothing but piloting and the occasional royal duty...