Duke & Duchess - To Clear Their Calendars for August (Threads Merged)

Started by Lothwen, July 30, 2014, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lothwen

QuoteThey have spent the last two days supporting Great Britain at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, but William and Kate can look forward to a well-deserved month off in August.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have cleared their diaries and will be holidaying in the U.K., Royal Watch can reveal. William and Kate usually jet off to the private island of Mustique, but they are planning to stay a little closer to home this summer. Sources say they will be taking Prince George to Scotland next month to Charles and Camilla, at their Highland home, and they will also take Prince George to see the Queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral.

Exclusive: Where William, Kate, and George Are Headed for a Month-Long Summer Vacation | Vanity Fair

It's my understanding that the Royal Family usually spends August "on vacation", so this isn't out of the norm, but please, don't try to convince us that they "deserve" a vacation after having worked for 2 days.  Especially when their "work" consisted of watching sports.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

HM and the DoE are typically in Scotland for much of Aug. and Sept. though I do believe that they along with other members of the BRF will be participating in some WWI centenary events in early August.  Charles and Camilla are usually up there as well for those months as well. The rest of the BRF seems to vary the amount of time spent at Balmoral, but everyone seems to be there for at least a couple of weeks.

Most European monarchies slow down during August as well, so I'm not surprised to see that the BRF does the same.

It is my understanding that maintenance staff use this time for deep cleaning and repair work at  BP, Windsor Castle, Clarence House and KP.

If media reports suggest this would be around the time that William might be starting work for East Anglia Air Service too.

Limabeany

:goodpost: :happy15:
Quote from: Lothwen on July 30, 2014, 03:17:06 PM
It's my understanding that the Royal Family usually spends August "on vacation", so this isn't out of the norm, but please, don't try to convince us that they "deserve" a vacation after having worked for 2 days.  Especially when their "work" consisted of watching sports.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

Another vacation. No surprises. After the hard work of watching sports.

georgiana996

QuoteKate has been hands-on with the renovations and has helped with the redesign and interiors, and is apparently keen to make sure the final touches go exactly as planned.

"They will be at Anmer for much of the time they have off," a source revealed to Royal Watch. "They cannot wait to move in and they want to make sure the last stages of the refurb go to plan.
The 10-bedroom house has its own tennis court and swimming pool

Aren't they just so down to earth  :random39: :overhere:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

PaulaB

Quote from: Lothwen on July 30, 2014, 03:17:06 PM
QuoteThey have spent the last two days supporting Great Britain at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, but William and Kate can look forward to a well-deserved month off in August.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have cleared their diaries and will be holidaying in the U.K., Royal Watch can reveal. William and Kate usually jet off to the private island of Mustique, but they are planning to stay a little closer to home this summer. Sources say they will be taking Prince George to Scotland next month to Charles and Camilla, at their Highland home, and they will also take Prince George to see the Queen and Prince Philip at Balmoral.

Exclusive: Where William, Kate, and George Are Headed for a Month-Long Summer Vacation | Vanity Fair

There   was much criticism when William and Catherine didnt go to Sandringham for christmas now they are going to Balmoral for the royal summer holiday and they are being moaned at again.

Lady Adams

To be clear: a month of vacation, when Kate worked two days (watching sport) is what people are critiquing them for. It's hardly a "well deserved" break, in my opinion.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

:goodpost: Lady Adams, people don't bemoan the Queen her vacations...  :shrug:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Orchid

"-a well deserved month off..."      after spending "two days at the CW games"   

... I'll pop back once I've picked myself up off the floor.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Canuck

I agree the phrasing is silly, but it's not like the BRF or W&K said it. 

TLLK

Perhaps the appropriate title would be "HM and the DoE Clear Their Calendars for Aug. and Sept." Members of the BRF are expected to visit as well. :)

Curryong

Whether 'well-earned break' or not, it will be nice if the report is true and William and Kate are going to spend some of August with William's grandparents and father and stepmother. It will be a chance for the older relatives to get really acquainted with George.

Lady Adams

Quote from: TLLK on July 30, 2014, 08:45:28 PM
Perhaps the appropriate title would be "HM and the DoE Clear Their Calendars for Aug. and Sept." Members of the BRF are expected to visit as well. :)
Very good way of putting it, TLLK.

I'd add an amendment: ....members, though expected to visit, are not required to take the month of August off as holiday for themselves. Especially if they've been out-worked by an 88 and 93 year old!  :shame:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

TLLK

Louise and James better pick up the pace or NO PONY TIME!!!!! :D

Lothwen

I really shouldn't criticize.  After all, I get a two day vacation for every 5 days I work
Harryite 12-005

Macrobug

I agree.  Louise, James and Georgie are Falling Short.   Chop chop, there kidlets!!

Lothy.  I want your benefit package.  Do you really get a 5 days on 2 days off work week??  Decadent.   :clap:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Lady Adams

I can remember when my British in laws found out I "only" got FIVE weeks of vacation at my job (in the US, five weeks is relatively unheard of!) and they were unamused.

Still, I'd rather a two day-two month ratio  ;)

Limabeany

:clap: :happy15: :goodpost: :happy15: :clap:

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 30, 2014, 09:05:00 PM
Quote from: TLLK on July 30, 2014, 08:45:28 PM
Very good way of putting it, TLLK.

I'd add an amendment: ....members, though expected to visit, are not required to take the month of August off as holiday for themselves. Especially if they've been out-worked by an 88 and 93 year old!  :shame:

Lothwen

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 30, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
I can remember when my British in laws found out I "only" got FIVE weeks of vacation at my job (in the US, five weeks is relatively unheard of!) and they were unamused.

Still, I'd rather a two day-two month ratio  ;)

Lady Adams, did you inform them that you had to be employed with the same company for at least 5 years, and work an average of 37.5 hours a week in order to get that much vacation time?
Harryite 12-005

Lady Adams

No, because I-- gasp-- got it off the batt! Lucky me!!

However, when I told them I got NO maternity leave they started really pushing for me to move to the UK.  :angel: :coy:

georgiana996

Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

TLLK

Well I couldn't complain about vacation time when I was working. Teachers do receive plenty of time off, but I only received ten paychecks a year. My credit union would remove and deposit funds into my July/August savings so I received the same amount each month. 

Maternity leave for my school district was 8 weeks paid for a natural birth and 10 weeks for a C-section. My own experience for a child born on Jan. 26  ended up being 10 weeks paid, then unpaid family leave and I would have had to come back for the last two days of the year. Principal just ended up hiring a sub for the entire time. Have to say that she was dealing with an explosion of newly married teachers who all had their first child within that first year or 18 months after their weddings. Maybe that's why she wasn't so thrilled for me when I showed up at her door saying "I need to talk to you."  :teehee:

Limabeany

I was a teacher for 7 years and had the same experience with the 10 months pay but although there were plenty of days off, Many, many, many were spent on training, meetings, writing lesson plans, preparing classes, exams...

KaTerina Montague

Ok I usually defend them but even I'm getting tired of this crap now.

HsHCharlene

Prince William and Kate will holiday in the UK - hellomagazine.com

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, nee Kate Middleton, will reportedly take a month long holiday in the UK this month. The royal pair and their one-year old son Prince George have picked Prince William's father's home in the Highlands for their annual break.

This is a press story so take with a grain of salt. But then again it wouldn't be any different to what they have been doing if true.