Diana's Patronages, Presidencies, and Military Appointments

Started by TLLK, December 14, 2017, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

When I was posting in the Duke of York's royal duties thread, I realized that he is now the Patron of the English National Ballet.
So I thought it might be interesting to list her former patronages, charities and military appointments and to see if those positions have a member of the BRF who is the new patron, president or honorary military leader. ie: Prince William is now the patron of Centrepoint and Royal Marsden.

@Curryong,@SophieChloe@Trudie, @sandy, @Duch_Luver_4ever, @amabel and anyone else who might recall all of them, I'd love your assistance. :snowflake:

Here is a list of most of her patronages and presidencies. The author mentioned that some no longer exist and therefore were not included. Gert's Royals: Princess Diana's Patronages

QuoteDuring her life, Princess Diana was Patron or President of over 100 charities. Diana ended her official relationship with most of her Patronages after her divorce in 1996. This is by no means a complete list.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Lovely list, thank you @TLLK was a nice trip down memory lane (and I was surprised to see Prince Andrew take over two of her big ones, maybe he remembers those nights dancing with her :brightside: seems ill have to lay off him a bit)

I didnt see the blogger had Bernados listed in there.

Thanks for the list  :xmas3: :snowflake: :xmas3: :snowflake:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Good catch @Duch_Luver_4ever! Yes she was the President of Barnardos for many years (1984-1996) so we need to add it to the list.

Duch_Luver_4ever

thanks @TLLK I recall flipping out awhile back as I discovered Camilla now is in that position...
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Duch_Luver_4ever

TLLK

Diana's honorary military appointments

From Wikipedia  Diana - Wikipedia,_Princess_of_Wales

Honorary military appointments

The Princess of Wales held the following military appointments:

Australia Australia

Australia: Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Survey Corps[363]

Canada Canada

Canada: Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales Own Regiment[116]
    Canada: Colonel-in-Chief of the West Nova Scotia Regiment

United Kingdom United Kingdom

United Kingdom: Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment[223]-Now Queen Margrethe of Denmark.
    United Kingdom: Colonel-in-Chief of the Light Dragoons[223]-Now King Abdullah of Jordan
    United Kingdom: Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Hampshire Regiment[116]-Amalgamated into a larger regiment.
    United Kingdom: Colonel-in-Chief of the 13th/18th Royal Hussars (Queen Mary's Own)[116]-Amalgamated into a larger regiment.
    United Kingdom: Honorary Air Commodore, RAF Wittering[364]-Now-The Countess of Wessex

She gave up these appointments following her divorce

LouisFerdinand

What was the first charity that Princess Diana was patron of?   

:xmas8: :xmas8: :xmas8:

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 05, 2021, 10:02:21 PM
What was the first charity that Princess Diana was patron of?   

:xmas8: :xmas8: :xmas8:

I don't know the answer to that question, but reportedly her first solo engagement was to the Royal Marsden hospital to where she was later the President. Her son William is now its President.

Duke of Cambridge shares sweet Christmas message to Royal Marsden staff | Daily Mail Online