Diplomatic Corp Reception at Buckingham Palace - 5th December 2017

Started by TLLK, December 05, 2017, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Photos of the PoW/Duchess of Cornwall, DoY and the Cambridges arriving to the palace. Charles and William are in white tie, but Andrew is wearing a suit and tie. I don't know if he plans to change at BP or wear  the suit. This is typically a private event, but occasionally a photo is released to the press.

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/12/05/buckingham_palace_diplomatic_dinner,_london

For those on tiara watch: Camilla-Greville Honeycomb
                                      Kate-Cambridge Lover's Knot  :xmas4:

QuoteThe white tie Diplomatic Reception is the main social event of the year in London for the diplomatic community and reflects the Queen?s importance in terms of the UK?s international relations.

It is also the largest reception held at Buckingham Palace, requiring hours of intricate planning by the Master of the Household and the Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps, as well as the commandeering of almost every member of waiting staff.

More than 1,000 people from around 130 countries, including members of the British government, past Prime Ministers and the Archbishops of Canterbury and York attend the gathering.

Most notable, however, are the many hundreds of ambassadors and embassy staff officially accredited to the Court of St James, often in brilliantly coloured and eye-catching national dress.

St James's Palace is still the official residence of the sovereign and the most senior royal palace in the United Kingdom and all ambassadors and high commissioners to the United Kingdom are still accredited to its Court.

The Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps, who acts as the link between the British monarch and foreign diplomatic missions, is permanently based there.

In 2015 175 foreign missions were accredited to the Court of St James's ? 47 High Commissions from Commonwealth countries and 128 embassies from non-Commonwealth countries.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5149087/The-royals-attend-Queens-Diplomatic-Reception.html

sara8150

Pregnant Kate Middleton Wears Princess Diana's Favorite Tiara at White-Tie Palace Party
Kate Middleton Wears Princess Diana's Favorite Tiara at White-Tie Palace Party | PEOPLE.com

Double post auto-merged: December 05, 2017, 09:47:10 PM

Dazzling Kate wears Princess Diana?s favourite tiara as she arrives at palace reception
Kate Middleton wears Princess Diana?s favourite tiara | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Polo Fan

[gmod]This comment was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by our community standards: User Conduct and Etiquette and Registration Agreement. Replies may also be deleted. Please see any private notification for more details. [/gmod]

Kritter

Either Camilla had more plastic surgery or they touched up those photos of her.   :xmas19:

sandy

I think it is airbrushing and lots and lots of makeup slathered on. She looks like a wax work with all the makeup.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I dislike when they say it was Diana's "favorite" tiara...she used to say it was noisy, and gave her headaches (the Spencer tiara did as well, but was much quieter, although in later years was harder to get from her brother).
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

I wonder if her brother would ever lend the tiara to his great niece Charlotte.

TLLK

^^^I'd love to see Charlotte have the opportunity to wear it too @sandy.

Kritter

Quote from: sandy on December 06, 2017, 12:22:21 AM
I wonder if her brother would ever lend the tiara to his great niece Charlotte.

I think by the time Charlotte is old enough to wear the Tiara the decision will belong to someone else.    :snowflake:

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 06, 2017, 12:20:14 AM
I dislike when they say it was Diana's "favorite" tiara...she used to say it was noisy, and gave her headaches (the Spencer tiara did as well, but was much quieter, although in later years was harder to get from her brother)
Well as you and I both  know @Duch_Luver_4ever, the tabloids are not really  known for in-depth research.  :xmas1: IMO it's just easy for them to keep repeating the same old same old.

Kritter

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 06, 2017, 12:20:14 AM
I dislike when they say it was Diana's "favorite" tiara...she used to say it was noisy, and gave her headaches (the Spencer tiara did as well, but was much quieter, although in later years was harder to get from her brother).

They are starting to call it the "Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara" so maybe they will stop associating it with Diana soon.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Like @TLLK said, the papers arent big on research (number of times they get number of children Johnnie and Frances had wrong, or that Diana "grew up" at Althorp, etc. always grinds my gears) so yes, theyre not going to be the encyclopedia Britannica.

Im sure as Kate wears it more, and years roll over, it'll be associated more with her, as will the title Princess of Wales, someday,as it should. People dont call it the Queen Mary Tiara anymore, so Diana's name with it will fade over time, just as long as a certain someone never wears it, all will be right with the world.  :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

As for the Spencer Tiara, Charlotte could wear it in 10-15 years from now for events, so Charles Spencer, barring accidents, would likely still be around. Even say a wedding 20 years from now is possible he'll be around, otherwise, itll fall to her Uncle Louis when he becomes the 10th Earl.

It'll all depend on how close she feels to her grandmothers family. I suspect she'll feel closer to the Windors and Middletons, that the Spencers, just due to Diana not being around, and I doubt Jane, Sarah and Charles will have the time and opportunity to spend a lot of time with her being busy with their own families.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote from: Kritter on December 06, 2017, 12:41:54 AM
They are starting to call it the "Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara" so maybe they will stop associating it with Diana soon.

Actually it has been known for decades as the Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara because of its design was modeled after one owned by  Queen Mary's grandmother who was a  former Duchess of Cambridge. :) Here is a brief bit of history on this historic piece.

QuoteThis gem was commissioned from Garrard in 1913/1914 by everyone's favorite magpie, Queen Mary. She modeled it off of a tiara owned by her grandmother, Princess Augusta of Hesse, the Duchess of Cambridge
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Cambridge Lover's Knot

Duch_Luver_4ever

Good point @TLLK we use the short hand of "lovers knot" so much, its history is sometimes overlooked, or in modern times confused with now a current Duchess of Cambridge. :xmas21:

TLLK

^^^ I may have spoken too soon :lol: @Duch_Luver_4ever because now according to some jewelry enthusiasts, the tiara's correct name is  the Queen Mary Lover's Knot tiara and not the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara.

Oh well maybe British Royal Lover's Knot tiara might be the best name after all. :xmas1: