20 years on from Diana - do paparazzi still harass the royals?

Started by sara8150, August 29, 2017, 04:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Curryong

I think a lot of things have changed since the Leveson Inquiry findings. Darryn Lyons, an Aussie, was a notorious papparazo and had an agency that made a fortune over the years when anything went as far as celebs and royals went. However, he hung on too long and went broke, taking himself and his multicoloured Mohican haircut back to Oz, where he served as mayor of Geelong for a while.

For years packs of  paps were allowed to roam about London, shouting insults at their prey in hope of a reaction. Kate and Chelsy and especially Diana went through hell, even if Diana did call the media herself on occasions. I'm glad things have calmed down now, (probably cameras in phones took some pay from paps) as who wants to have to submit to that rubbish.

TLLK

While this wasn't really the work of the paparazzi, the Leveson Inquiry did reveal that the press had been hacking the private communications of public figures and private citizens for access to stories. I would think that hacking and the use of camera phones and drones would be some of the issues that public figures like royals face in the 21st century.

I agree @Curryong that the advent of the camera phone has changed how the paps conduct their business. They can pay others to take photos for them now.

amabel

Tehy don't need to. long distance cameras, phone and computer hacking etc.  They don't need to get up close and personal to get pics and stories the way they used to

Duch_Luver_4ever

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Which would likely horrify Diana if she knew what her sons, daughter-in-law and her grandchildren would have to deal with in 2017. :no:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thankfully the rules have changed, although one wonders if they would have if not for Diana's passing and the manner of the press involvement.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.