Charles paid Hewitt to become Diana's lover?

Started by Mike, June 05, 2017, 09:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

This is the current headline in a USA tabloid, but without the question mark.  Is there any evidence?
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

TLLK

michelle0187

That's absolutely ridiculous. I doubt charles would even take the time, to be concerned about di taking a lover. Especially at the time when the affair happened. 

Curryong

Why would Charles bother to pay? By that stage of the Wales marriage he was involved again with Camilla and couldn't give a hoot about what Diana was getting up to so long as she was discreet in front of their children and others.

royalanthropologist

He might not have paid but Charles made it absolutely clear that the affair did not bother him at all. Hewitt was invited to social events in the full knowledge that he was sleeping with Diana. I doubt Charles had any sexual jealousy towards Diana since he was not really in love with her. As far as he was concerned, all was well as long as she was not involved in his life.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

Interesting idea, and plays into some of the questions and things ive brought up. It would have been the smart thing to do for the RF/Charles, since they didnt let her in on how the marriage was going to really pan out.

Im guessing though its not true as if Charles had paid for him to do that, he or someone would have made sure he was not stationed in Germany. Although an interesting thing to ponder is if that was maybe done on purpose after Diana brought Hewitt to Charles 40th b-day party.......
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Oh For Goodness sakes why is anyone raising this silly issue?  No.  Charles didn't need to pay Hewitt,  Diana gave him lavish gifts, so if anyone paid him, she did.  Charles was problaby relieved that she had taken a lover, hoping that it would keep her occupied and she'd be less depressed and difficult.. and he problaby assumed that as an army officer, Hewitt would be gentleman enough ot keep the affair discreet.  He was wrong there.

Double post auto-merged: June 07, 2017, 09:14:37 AM

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on June 06, 2017, 05:46:30 PM
Interesting idea, and plays into some of the questions and things ive brought up. It would have been the smart thing to do for the RF/Charles, since they didnt let her in on how the marriage was going to really pan out.

Im
this is not the case.  the RF weren't likely to be ahapy with the idea of Charles OR Diana having affairs, given te media attention.. which occurred when they both did.  there is no reason to suppose that the Rf or Charles planned for him to have an affair, it was the result of his marriage being unhappy.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I think the key thing is the media attention, with affairs common in that set, i dont think they had any ethical qualms in private, it was more the public reaction, and that they were seen to be taking the proper moral tone.

It may not have be an explicit plan for Charles to have an affair from the beginning, but he did kind of leave the door open by not emotionally letting Camilla go. That combined with his lack of being in love with Diana. I think he knew Diana alone wouldnt be enough for him, and while we have the benefit of hindsight, it was known then she was a willful woman, and barring Charles being able to be head over heels for her, the next best thing would have been to ensure she was contentedly distracted while he went off to do his own thing. not out of any concern for her welfare, but more for keeping her from turning the applecart over.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

??? really? A wilfiul woman?  She was very young and was generally seen to be a shy quiet innocent girl.  I Thoguht that's what people were complaining about, with Charles that he took advantage of a shy quiet inexperienced girl, or that he thought (as in the alleged comment of Camilla's that Diana was a "mouse" that DI wouldn't know what was going on, and if she did find out, she would be too shy and "mouse like" to do anyting about it.  Its amazing how ardent Diana fans seem to vary in how they portray her.

royalanthropologist

In defense of @Duch_Luver_4ever , I would say that his posts have always been pragmatic and even-handed. Diana had spirit later in life but in the beginning she came across as being very shy, unsure and eager to please. It was only later when she had been through the rigmarole of what she considered to be a loveless marriage that she started to stand up for herself.

A number of talents that were previously hidden came to light. Diana was this PR genius but also quite good with people. In the absence of a stable marriage within which to fully maximize her talents, Diana was persuaded to become a bit destructive and vengeful by the step-mum-type characters that surrounded her. Unfortunately her weaknesses were then getting exposed: impulsiveness, the need to have the last word, lack of discretion and too willing to trust strangers and bad people.

I might add that it sounds a tad insulting to Diana that someone had to pay a man to sleep with her. She really was attractive, incredibly so. The pictures did not do justice to her at all. All the current royal princesses have nothing on her. Besides she knew how to look after her body and dress well. I rather suspect that she would not have to work very hard to get people to be attracted to her...apart from the important exception of Charles who was looking for something entirely different. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on June 08, 2017, 06:10:16 AM
??? really? A wilfiul woman?  She was very young and was generally seen to be a shy quiet innocent girl.  I Thoguht that's what people were complaining about, with Charles that he took advantage of a shy quiet inexperienced girl, or that he thought (as in the alleged comment of Camilla's that Diana was a "mouse" that DI wouldn't know what was going on, and if she did find out, she would be too shy and "mouse like" to do anyting about it.  Its amazing how ardent Diana fans seem to vary in how they portray her.

amabel, Diana WAS  a 'quiet, innocent and reasonably shy girl.' Diana was 19 when she got engaged. No she wasn't some simpering ingenue, but exactly how much worldliness, sexual experience and knowledge of men do you expect a girl still in her teens to have? As much as a woman of 30, of 35? If Camilla did make the 'mouse-like' remark what do you think she was referring to, Diana's liking for cheese?

You believe that Diana knew all the ins and outs of the Charles/Camilla affair. Others don't. I, for instance, have stated many times that I believe that she knew that Camilla and Charles had been lovers but that she didn't know the details, the extent of it, nor how in thrall Charles was to Camilla.

We all can argue our case and our POV and we do, but that doesn't mean that one of us is inevitably correct and the other side is deluded. In the end, none of us know the truth of Charles and Diana's relationship, of what was in either of their minds, because none of us were there. Not when Charles proposed, not on the honeymoon, not when they discussed Camilla for the first time, not when the marriage went pear-shaped.

amabel

I think she would  have been a dimwit if she did not know that Charles and Cam had been lovers..as you admit she did know.  I dont know what is meant by the "details".  No I don't suppose she did, whatever is meant by that... and I don't think that she DID realise that a sexual bond can be very powerful, at times...
but if she was so ultra Innocent, why wasn't she shocked to death to hear that Charles had been involved in an adulterous affair..Why did she go out with him, stay at the house of his mistress, receive his advances and agree to marry him?
I didn't say that she was a wilful woman, I said that she was seen as a shy innocent girl.. rather than a wilfufl woman...
HOW shy and innocent she was, I'm honestly not sure. I think that she shut her eyes to things she did nto want to see and she did the same later, during other affairs.  She managed to overlook the fact that Oliver Hoare had a wife, who was the rich one in their marriage and that he was unlikely to leave his wife.. because of thtat.  She overlooked the fact that Dodi Fayed had a girlfriend, possibly a fiancée.. and that H Khan was soemoen who was not only deeply involved in his work but that he was not willing to go against his parent's expectations that he would marry a girl of their class, culture and religion

Curryong

^ So what is your contention about Diana at 19, then, amabel. That Diana wasn't innocent and sexually inexperienced? That she was in fact, at 19, very experienced and worldly and knew all the ins and outs of Charles love life, having studied them for years? That she was totally cynical, not in love with Charles at all, but a hard young woman who'd been round the traps more than twice and knew the score?  A woman of 19 who was determined to become Princess of Wales come what may, and entrap the man? In other words, whatever it took, she was prepared for, in her ambition to become Princess of Wales?

Gee, with a hard as nails fiancee like that who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted, it's no wonder Charles had his doubts! However it doesn't sound like the portrait of Diana in any biography I've every read, and they number dozens!

However you apparently know exactly what she was like and what her motivations were and that she knew all about Charles and Camilla but didn't give a rats behind because all she wanted was to be a Prss of Wales. Her feelings weren't involved at all, apparently.

amabel

I never said she wasn't innocent in the senses of benig sexually inexperienced.  Iv'e said that she didn't know probably how strorng a sexual bond can be, because she had never most likely experienced sexual passion.. I've said that she problaby felt inferior to Camilla in the bedroom and that upset her.  I never said that she was "hard as nails", albeit some people DID think she was... I think that her behaviour was such that it could look to other people that she had been determined to "get" Charles, and that she was prepared to fake interest in his country sports, etc, and that when she  had got him she abruptly dropped the pretenece. 
And if you read my post you would see what I was saying,that she was someone who blinded herself to things, when she didn't want to see them.  When she was in love with Hoare, she blinded herself to the fact that he had a wife.  When involved with Dodi, she seemed to ignore that he had a girlfriend.. there's a pattern there IMO.  and now, sorry, I have had a long tiring day and I have had enough of being criticised for "disliking Diana" whom I acutaly like...

Double post auto-merged: June 10, 2017, 08:31:39 AM

Quote from: amabel on June 09, 2017, 05:49:29 PM
I never said she wasn't innocent in the senses of benig sexually inexperienced. 
I'll probably regret coming back to this subject but I NEVER said that Diana was a "hard cynical young woman"... who did what she thought she had to do to get Charles to marry her.  However I have said that she DID deceive herself very much.  She clearly fooled herself into thinking that she enjoyed the whole countrified life of the RF, and that she was also eager to learn about the sort of things that interested Charles. She had a gift for empathy; for making people feel that she was truly interested in them, and shared their concerns and that is a good thing in many ways. however I think that she hypnotised herself into feeling that she was madly in love with Charles, that she idolised him and thought he was ever so clever and that she wanted to be part of his life and share his interests. 
But the truth was that she didn't.  She did not enjoy the country.  It bored her.  She found that when she was stuck with Charles for long periods of time that he was talking about things that simply didn't interest her or she could not understand, and she DIDN'T want to learn about them.
I think the RF felt that she seemed perfect, because she gave the impression of loving the whole lifestyle, when she visited as C's girlfriend... His friends said that she went stalking with them, got muddy, and wet and laughed it all off and seemed to love it all.
She hypnotised herself so well that she was able to fool other people, but it wasn't deliberate.  She wasn't trying to marry him because of his positon or his wealth (though I'm sure it helped)... She wanted to marry him because she had been brought up with no ideas for a job or anything but "getting married".  Her education had been poor; she had little mental furniture... She wanted to marry early, I think because that was what she'd been brought up to do, and she had no desire to have a career or even a job as such.
I think she also did feel it was the one way she could stand out from the crowd, if she made a socially "grand" marriage.  She also felt inferior  to the rest of her family, (Sarah and Charles S were both quite intelligent ).. Because she was "Dim Diana".. As they joked about her..
And she wanted to "show them", all her family who had not shown her enough love and attention, that she might not have any qualifications or a career but she could make a grand marriage.
And also she had had an unhappy childhood and she wanted someone to love, a husband and children.. So when she fell for Charles, she wanted that with him.  Later, she fell in love with other men, and she was so eager to create a loving home that she  blinded herself to anything that might impinge on that fantasy of a loving marriage with Hoare or Khan or whoever.
When she and Charles started dating, I don't believe she was initially worried about his affair with Camilla. She was inexperienced, and not very sophisticated about affairs, but she knew that they happened  and that Charles had been Cam's lover. And I think she ignored it, as she was prone to do, and just concentrated on the fact that he was dating HER and that he was now over 30 and seemingly keen to get married at that age.. So she could hope that he seemed fond of her and might propose. And I think she believed it would all be "bliss" and they'd have a perfect marriage and kids.
But when they got married, and reality kicked in, I think it all came as a horrible shock to her, that her life wasn't turning out as she had pictured it in the fantasy.  She found Charles boring, going on about philosophy, and saving the planet.  She realised that he still had feelings for Camilla and that she didn't enjoy being with the RF up close. I think that because she DID ignore anything that didn't impinge on herself, she hadn't realised that the RF and the queen lead such a formal life in private. And that she would have to fit in with it..
I think she had believed that in private the RF was much more relaxed, and that she'd be able to "act naturally" with them, and they weren't. She had social duties and public duties as Princess of Wales and I think she wanted to stay home with Charles – and the children.
Things weren't as she expected, but some of that was due to her own refusal to learn about royal life...
She was't a selfish monster, but neither was she a completely helpless innocent victim of Chalres and Camillas plotting.