We saw but didnt see so much at the time

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, June 03, 2017, 02:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

June 2017 – Princess Diana News Blog "All Things Princess Diana"

So this article is from shortly after Diana's first pregnancy, and looking back, one can see so much of what was going to be in play for future events, but we just didnt see it, at the time.

"Strong willed determined to do things her own way"

Insisting Charles be at the birth, insisting on breast feeding, and already the idea of taking the baby on royal tours being non negotiable already in play, yet 2 years later a bit of a hubbub was made over it.

While things like CPB were far off from the public's knowledge, it is interesting that, and I recall many of the articles written about her at the time, mentioned her strong will, determined opinions about certain things, etc. yet everyone was so surprised that she would put up such a fuss over the marital issues and that so little effort was taken into trying to diffuse the situation before it became a crisis. I guess thats a bit of the hindsight, as up to then, no royal wife had been able to press her case as forcefully as Diana did.

But I do think its interesting that the hints of it were there, I guess it was just one of those things everyone had to learn the "hard way"....
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Yes this is a very early indication of Diana's strong views on childrearing, which she later put into practice, as it's barely five months from her wedding day. It's interesting that it's Judy Wade who wrote this. Later on I don't think she was very keen on Diana. Certainly in 1981-82 most journalists were following the 'everything in the garden is beautiful' line regarding the Wales's. A biographer wrote of Diana that 'she had the toughness of Whig women' and I think that's true.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Given the political leanings of the Spencer family, it doesnt surprise me, she had the steel of Ruth with the kindness of Cynthia, as far as her grandmothers, (although im sure some in the RF wish she got their deference to their "betters" as well LOL).

I know on the specials, Judy doesnt seem to have the knife out for Diana, but those are the ones done post 97 and maybe its just her way of being nice, I didnt have the daily diet of British tabloids over on this side of the pond back then.

I agree, while its an overall fluff piece, and it may be hindsight, if one would have been prescient enough to think a fair haired girl would dare knock over the tea set, even if it spilled on her, theyd have handled things much differently. I think like the first paragraph, they thought she was like her forebears, they just misread in what respect.... :flower:

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.