Princess Diana: In search of happiness

Started by LouisFerdinand, May 01, 2017, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Diana died at a young age and a time when she was just regrouping and moving on after the divorce. She was in a no-win situation in her marriage with Charles as it became clear he married her only to get heirs and love had nothing to do with it. Plus the other woman was still in touch with Charles.

LouisFerdinand

Would Lady Diana have paid attention if someone had expressed to her that she was about to wed the wrong man?

Trudie

I think it would have if Diana had known the truth about Charles and Camilla from the beginning. Diana wanted to call off the wedding but was told "Too late Duch your face is on the tea towels". That was the night of the pre wedding ball when Charles spent all his time dancing with Camilla. 

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on June 14, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
Would Lady Diana have paid attention if someone had expressed to her that she was about to wed the wrong man?
At twenty, very little dating experience and ready to walk down the aisle, I don't think so. She really wanted to marry Charles and believed the fairytale despite having some misgivings like Charles did about their compatibility.  However if she'd had a few boyfriends and a little more life experience, then yes I do believe that she might have listened to someone who she trusted.

Curryong

I'm with TLLK here. Diana was so incredibly young and very much in love, as she saw it, with Charles. The Barbara Cartland-style romantic mist sustained her for much of the time during the engagement fighting, I suppose, with increasing doubts about Charles and about what she was about to take on. I really do wish that Frances had been in London during the early courtship period.

I'm not lumping it all on Frances, but she knew her daughter was a 19 year old romantic in love with love, she herself had endured a very unhappy marriage, having been married off young to a man twelve years her senior, with whom she had had little in common. She too had felt trapped in the Norfolk rural scene. She had more in common with Diana than she realised. It's a pity she didn't say to her 'Don't follow my path, however brilliant this marriage is. Get to know Prince Charles first'.

As many of us have said before on Royal forums, if Charles and Diana had dated for over a year before an engagement Charles might have decided to put his big boy pants on, made up his mind, and not married Diana.

amabel

and then everyone would have jumped on him for not marrying the lovely charming Lady Diana.
They would have married, because boht of them wanted to marry - for different reasons.

Trudie

@amabel I have to agree with you on this. Charles put pressure on himself by saying he would marry at thirty and time to find a suitable bride to provide the heirs had run out. It could have been anyone as long as she was protestant, a virgin and an aristocrat. Diana however wanted to have children and a secure marriage where there could be no divorce. As Charles was the one man at the time who could never divorce she assumed that he would be in love with the person he married.

Curryong

I didn't know which Diana thread this should go in. If it's wrong can it be moved? However, these photos show I young Diana in the early 1980's accompanying a shoot with Charles and other members of the BRF, including Princess Margaret's children. She looks very bright and chirpy on this private occasion and thoroughly enjoying herself. The photos are newly discovered (in a drawer of a housekeeper's house who used to work at Highgrove apparently.)

Princess Diana is seen on a shoot in candid photos | Daily Mail Online

sandy

It looks like the Fall after she had WIlliam. She looks thinner in the photos and had longer hair.

TLLK

I agree with @sandy on the timing of the photo. Also Lady Sarah looks a bit older than she did in July of 1981 so it is likely in the late summer or early fall of 1982.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on June 14, 2017, 01:33:04 AM
Quote from: LouisFerdinand on June 14, 2017, 12:34:51 AM
At twenty, very little dating experience and ready to walk down the aisle, I don't think so. She really wanted to marry Charles and believed the fairytale despite having some misgivings like Charles did about their compatibility.  However if she'd had a few boyfriends and a little more life experience, then yes I do believe that she might have listened to someone who she trusted.
She did have boyfriends, TLLK, but I think that regardless, it would have happened.  Not if she was say 25 or so.. but given the way things were, that she was yong, naïve, uneducated, eager to marry.. and he was at the age that he was eager to get married.. I think it would have happened, even if they had dated for longer etc etc.

Double post auto-merged: June 17, 2017, 06:11:21 AM

Quote from: Trudie on June 14, 2017, 08:56:26 PM
@amabel I have to agree with you on this. Charles put pressure on himself by saying he would marry at thirty and time to find a suitable bride to provide the heirs had run out. It could have been anyone as long as she was protestant, a virgin and an aristocrat. Diana however wanted to have children and a secure marriage where there could be no divorce. As Charles was the one man at the time who could never divorce she assumed that he would be in love with the person he married.
it wasn't that he put pressure on himself.. He was over 30 and given that he had to marry a certain type of girl, inexperienced, well bred, Protestant, with some courtly connextions, if he waited much longer there would be an even bigger age gap between him and his fiancée. And I'm sure the press would have cirticised him over that, the RF were eager for him to be settled.. it was time for him to marry, setltle to provide heirs and do full time royal work.. and generally follow his expected dutiful path. 
And Diana was clearly eager to marry..  She said that she saw herself marryng someone in the public eye.. I think she later said that she meant a diplomat or something like that but the POW was the best match any girl like her could get.  And yes she was "in love" with him, in an immature hero worshipping way.. and she wanted a stable loving home for herself and her children.  She also wanted I think to outshine her sisters who had not made such grand marriages, even if they had more O levels...She was undoubtedly in love but she didn't know C very well and blinded herself to the fact that she and he didn't have that much in common..

sandy

No I don't think she wanted to "outshine" her sisters. I think she liked that her father was proud of her (and was very pleased she was marrying Charles). His walk down the aisle with her was said to be the happiest day of his life. She could not "outshine" her sisters anyway since they had happy marriages.