Diana Statue Sculptor Announced

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, May 01, 2017, 02:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Queen Mother's sculptor is tipped for Diana statue | Daily Mail Online

A rare new topic but you all know how much this one means to me. So have any of you seen the picture he used to make the statue of the QM? I know, I havent googled yet, but im curious as to how close he got to the original. Off the top of my heads memory of the QM appearance, it seems better than a lot of other attempts by other artists, either of Diana or others (that Ronaldo and Lucille Ball are great example of what NOT to do).

But Diana Frances will be a tough one to make with that inner warmth driving her beauty, is so elusive and tough to capture in drawings and other art media.

Am cautiously optimistic for now.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

He could have chosen a still frame from a piece of film so it is possible that you will not find a photo to compare it with @Duch_Luver_4ever. The reason that I think it could be from film footage is that QEQM does appear to be in motion. (Likely when she was walking to the Garter Service.)

Good luck to him as he very likely knows that his work will be very closely scrutinized by the public.

sandy

royalanthropologist

I think with the QM, they wanted to capture her mixture of grandmotherliness and regal stature. The one in Charles' estate is actually quite nice, wearing the garter robes. Diana's might be a bit more modern and simpler.  I hope the artistic license does not become too weird. There was a really creepy statue of her in Wales and another one in India. I shook my head wondering how someone could do something like that. Mohammed Al Fayed even did one of his own and the reviews were very mixed on it.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

This particular sculptor seems to be quite skilful and able to capture movement and a mood. I'll be interested to see what he produces. Diana had such charm and animation, the sort of things that are very hard to capture in marble or bronze.

amabel

I dot tink it is a good idea.  Statues don't seem to me to be able to capture Di's charm and beautiy.  even portraits of her never seemed to really "get  her".

sandy

royalanthropologist

I hope this time they do not botch it. For me botching would be a portrait that is either too formal or too informal. The portrait must capture Diana as a royal princess but also as a humanitarian. Very complex work.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

IMO if the desired result is to be a very close representation of Diana then it was best to choose a sculptor who works in bronze. IMO the sculptor created a very good likeness of QEQM and that might have tipped the selection in his favor.  I believe that bronze would be the material that could be best formed to recreate her likeness as the molds could be more easily adapted with today's technology. Also  I think that the plan is to have the statue displayed outdoor and marble (while a lovely idea) would not be able to hold up under the weather and the air pollution.

QuoteThe portrait must capture Diana as a royal princess but also as a humanitarian. Very complex work.

I agree and due to the nature of the material selected  I believe that he might be able to get a good representation.

amabel

I really think yes bronze would be better but a good portrait (if one existed) would be the best.. but really a memorial is not needed.

sandy

I think a memorial is needed. Very definitely

amabel

but why?  IMO memorials of Diana have never worked out well.  the fountain was a case in point.  I was hopeful of the garden that 's just been doen but I thougth it looked too formal. She doesn't need a memorial.  Her memorial is in the hearts of the people who loved her, her family and friends missing her, her charity work and the public still remembering her.
and there are lots of pictures and TV and film footage of her..

sandy

So they are not all going to be like the fountain. She needs a memorial, she's the mother of a future King and the grandmother of a future King too. The Queen Mum has had many memorials so should she not have had one because she did not need one. NOt everybody felt she was so wonderful but a memorial was in order.  Not having a fitting memorial is the same as airbrushing IMO.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Amabels post points out exactly why a statue is needed, two main reasons, the prior memorials have been less than stellar. Could be my biases, but I think it was a case of the RF/men in grey, like a husband trying to get out of chores, did a rubbish job in hopes of not being asked to do it again.

Second, its important because a statue remembers her on THEIR terms, theres a certain language and symbolism used to remember royalty/people of high stature, and a statue is one of them. Things like the Diana award and charities are great for remembering her impact, but some of the remembrance "budget" so to speak should be used to have her remembered in a more historical way.

I agree, with the large amount of footage of her, we are blessed with that to remember her by, but films degrade, digital formats change, etc. a statue endures. I also think the boys being behind it so much signals they want her remembered in a more permanent way among the RF and not just the general public.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Nonsense.  the committee which did the fountain had Diana's friends on it, so if it is a mess, its as much down to them as any royal representatives. I think ti would be another shocking waste of money if they do a statue and its another mess...

sandy

How can a statue be a mess? I have not seen "messes" of statues of other royals. A statue is not a fountain. Diana deserves a statue.

TLLK

QuoteI think ti would be another shocking waste of money if they do a statue and its another mess...

I'm sure that those responsible for commissioning the statue are aware that the fountain memorial was better on paper than in its execution. With that in mind, her sons are likely aware that there are those who would like to see their mother honored with a statue and therefore are in favor of it.

amabel

I would prefer a good portrait, personaly.  I think a statue IS "old fashioned" nad will never capture Dianas charm, which lay in her mobility.  Portraits were never great eiter but its possible that one could be done from videos and pictures of her.  However I suppose they'll waste the money...

sandy

A painting of Diana was in the National Portrait Gallery--it may have been taken down though.

I don't see this as any waste of money.

TLLK

Diana is featured in the National Portrait gallery but her painted portrait from the early years was replaced with one of Mario Testino's photographs from the 1990s.

I agree @amabel that a painting does offer the viewer a more authentic representation with color, texture, and movement.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Some good points by all, yes a statue is old fashioned, but it has a certain gravitas that she should be allowed to have. I also agree portraits are wonderful as well, they can certainly be done as well, not saying it only can be a statue to remember her. Shes had some lovely portraits in paint done, one of the best being the one that IRA tosser decided to deface. :fuming:

It is also a risky choice as well given that her beauty was more than skin deep and may not translate in that medium as easily as say video. As for statues being a disaster, I advise anyone to check the Lucille Ball and recent Ronaldo bust to see examples of what NOT to do...ugh.

Fingers crossed....

TLLK

^^^Hopefully Diana will not be depicted with her mouth open or her teeth showing. Somehow that takes the statue to a "creepy" level.

Izabella

The muse of Audrey Munson. Have at it Rodin!  :lol: