Charles and Camilla will tours Canada June 29-July 1,2017

Started by sara8150, April 18, 2017, 04:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Jennifer

Charles and Camilla are doing well with taking the Queen's place for official foreign trips.

QuoteRoyal visit to Ottawa for Canada 150

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall will be representing Her Majesty at celebrations on 1 July in Ottawa, Canada to mark Canada's 150th birthday.

The three-day trip will take TRH to Nunavut (a Nothern Canadian Territory) and Ontario from 29 June to 1 July.

Charles and Camilla were last in Canada in 2014, where they visited Halifax, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba. This upcoming tour will be the couple`s fourth joint tour of Canada and Prince Charles` 18th.

Read more:
Royal visit to Ottawa for Canada 150 – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

Yes I agree @Jennifer and considering that this is a very important year for Canada it is right that they should visit.

sara8150

Quote from: TLLK on April 19, 2017, 03:06:38 PM
Yes I agree @Jennifer and considering that this is a very important year for Canada it is right that they should visit.

Absolutely for royals very important in Canada culture between UK and Canada also but don't forget monarchy HM Queen is head of states of canada

royalanthropologist

I know I am being facetitious but I wish there was a tiara event. Hate to see all those magnificent royal jewels sitting in the vault because the queen is too hold/conservative to wear them and yet unwilling to dish them out to other members of the royal family. Hate, hate, hate those receptions without tiaras. They do look so unroyal. Lol :hehe:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

^^^Actually I do believe that any reception plans are likely to be made by the Canadian government. AFAIK there has not been a gala or tiara event there in many years when the BRF has come to visit.

Curryong

I do think that the Queen decided in the 1990s, when the BRF was at a low ebb, that tiara events were to be kept to a minimum, which to me is unfortunate. Even in Diana's day tiaras were worn to premier galas at the ballet, and Elizabeth the QM lost no opportunity to wear magnificent bling. I hope that Charles will bring some of that back in his reign. However, I can't see a tiara for anything in Canada unfortunately, though there'll be plenty of galas. It's a real shame the Queen can't travel the distances any more as I bet she and Prince Philip would love to be there.

TLLK

I also believe that there would be many Canadians who would like to see them again. :Jen:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Im sure there'll be enough for the press to say its a success @TLLK but he'll never be able to duplicate the good wishes of this tour in 83, course most of that was for his better half, one tour I remember fondly.

https://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/image8.jpeg
https://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/image9.jpeg
https://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/image10.jpeg
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

^ Yes, the Wales's tours of Australia were also spectaculars with hundreds of thousands turning out to see Diana. According to Sally Bedell Smith, Charles's latest biographer, the success in bringing out the crowds of the Cambridges' 2012 tour of Canada, caused Charles some perturbation.

amabel

Problaby amazed that such a dull couple were attracting a lot of people

TLLK

sandy

Quote from: Curryong on April 22, 2017, 04:32:05 AM
^ Yes, the Wales's tours of Australia were also spectaculars with hundreds of thousands turning out to see Diana. According to Sally Bedell Smith, Charles's latest biographer, the success in bringing out the crowds of the Cambridges' 2012 tour of Canada, caused Charles some perturbation.

Very unfortunate. Charles has not gotten over his jealousy issues.

sara8150

Catch of the day! Duchess of Cornwall impresses Inuit women of Canada by fishing for seal bone
Catch of the day! Duchess of Cornwall impresses Inuit women of Canada by fishing for seal bone

Double post auto-merged: June 29, 2017, 08:18:58 PM

Charles and Camilla have began tour of Canada for 150th anniversary celebrations
Charles and Camilla to begin tour of Canada for 150th anniversary celebrations | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: June 29, 2017, 08:20:47 PM

The Northwest Passage is becoming a 'worrying reality' warns Prince Charles in Canada
The Northwest Passage is becoming a 'worrying reality' warns Prince Charles in Canada - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: June 29, 2017, 08:24:18 PM

Here's looking at you, Charles! A VERY windswept Camilla gazes lovingly at the Prince as they battle the elements after touching down in Canada to kick off their royal tour
Charles and Camilla touch down in the Canadian Arctic | Daily Mail Online

sandy

She's practicing those "loving" looks. Obvious PR spin. She looks like she practices the smiles in a mirror.  I don't see how Inuit women were impressive by her they seemed rather puzzled.

sara8150

Prince Charles arrives in Canada ahead of 150th birthday festivities
Prince Charles arrives in Canada ahead of 150th birthday festivities

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 04:23:14 PM

Prince Charles and Camilla to honour Canada's fallen soldiers
Prince Charles and Camilla to honour Canada?s fallen soldiers | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 07:54:02 PM

Why is the Queen still Canada's Head of State 150 years after its independence?
Why is the Queen still Canada's Head of State 150 years after its independence? - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:29:36 PM

Prince Charles and Camilla honour troops on Canada tour
Prince Charles and Camilla honour troops on Canada tour - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:35:40 PM

Queen sports maple leaf brooch in brand new photo for 150th anniversary of Canada
Queen sports maple leaf brooch in new photo for 150th anniversary of Canada | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:37:26 PM

Portrait of the Queen wearing a maple leaf brooch released to mark Canada's 150th anniversary
Portrait of the Queen wearing a maple leaf brooch released to mark Canada's 150th anniversary - ITV News

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:38:53 PM

Queen Elizabeth's Brand-New Portrait Features a Stunning Brooch with Hidden Meaning
New Portrait of Queen Elizabeth for Canada Day

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:45:10 PM

Elizabeth, the gold sovereign: Queen marks the 150th anniversary of Canada's formation with platinum maple-leaf brooch which her father gave to her mother on their first trip to the country
Queen marks Canada Day with platinum maple-leaf brooch | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

New poll on what Canadians think of the monarchy. Huge thumbs up for Queen, little enthusiam for Charles, liking for William.

New poll reveals what Canadians think of royal family | Watch News Videos Online

royalanthropologist

My view is this. If the Canadians do not want Charles as King (I doubt that is what the poll is saying but for arguments sake, I am taking that slant), they should and ought to become a republic. If they want William, they can make him their King. Nations have offered crowns to people. William can choose whether he wants the crown or not.

I can bet that never in a million years would William or Harry countenance taking a throne that was offered in order to spite their father. They have said as much. The leapfrogging stuff is not something they support or want to engage in. If people (including Canadians) want to leapfrog then by all means become a republic and elect a head of state every now and then.

Otherwise the crown of the United Kingdom is not a popularity contest. X-Factor style polls do not and should not be used to select kings or queens. That is a system for republics. It is Diana and her supporters that started that nonsense but it has never really been part of the British constitution. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

The fact remains, leaving aside the ridiculousness of the leapfrogging idea for William, the Queen is enormously popular in Canada, 84% approval, (something most politicians would die for), and Charles is not.

royalanthropologist

So what @Curryong? I do not mean that question to be rude but just to find out what Charles should do. A group of people say that we do not like you...what happens next?

amabel

Noting will happen.  THe Canadians will probably go on as before.  So what if thy are not crazy about Charles?  to them he is a figurehead.. and he can do the job as well as another royal. Or maybe they will go for a republic.  its not the 19th C where nations DID want a "new king" to be head of state..Really who cares?  Its up to the Canadians, if they want to continue with the link to britian or go for a republic...

Curryong

^ He can't do anything. Charles and wife will probably be elderly when they come to the throne. I imagine that some, if not most, of the realms will break away once the Queen is dead. If they don't then many of their citizens and a lot of those in Britain will be looking towards the new reign of King William. I've already heard Prince Charles being described as 'as an interim King' and that is what he will probably be regarded as, at least by those under forty.

amabel

that's rather ridiculous at least in brtiain.  Yes Charles' reign will be short, but it is posislbe that Will's reign will also be short.   I hate this sort of speculation, but why will people be waiting for William?  He's nothing special, he has IMO no particular desire for the job and no interest in doing anytign special with it.. and so I doubt if people are thinking "I'm wating for C's reign to be over and the glorious reign of William V to begin.  as for Canada, it is up the Canadians to do what they want to.. If they don't like the british connextion, get rid of it.. but don't whine on about it.

Curryong

^ Perhaps because, shallow and trite though this may be, people who take little interest in royalty generally (I don't mean royal watchers) tend to find a couple who have a young and growing family and are in their forties themselves, of more interest than an elderly couple who have no family living with them.

Especially when you will have an elderly couple following a very elderly couple on to the Throne. Terrible as this sounds, the society in which we live does not value old age. The Queen is the iconic figure that she is because of her long, long reign. Charles won't get that opportunity.

Again, very shallow, people find more to look and talk about with a Queen Consort on the throne who is quite attractive and fashionable and a King who is and looks vigorous and active.

You know I am no admirer of the Cambridges. However, the next monarch and his wife have a heavy saddlebag of lead weighing them down. Past issues, (the first marriage, adultery, Diana,) perceptions--Charles's interference with govt decisions, meddling, controversial views, a feeling that Charles is an oddball who talks to plants. I'm not arguing from my own perspective here, except on the Diana question perhaps, but I don't know how many times I've heard people in Britain and here in Aus, mention these things and shake their heads. 'Yes' they say 'Prince Charles is a hard worker, but ....'

Now the Cambridges may be airheads, in fact I think they both almost certainly are, but with them what you get is the feel of a slate written over too many times that will be wiped clean when they get to the Throne..

royalanthropologist

It is a sad reflection of our times and values that a man who has devoted 40+ years to public service and is without doubt the best Prince of Wales ever; is deemed to be a caretaker king to someone who has done absolutely nothing even reaching a fraction of what Charles has done. But again, we have to take society as we find it.

This assumption that Charles' reign is going to be unsuccessful may prove to be as accurate as the one that he would never marry Camilla. Charles is very effective at his job, regardless of what his detractors think of him.  I doubt that William will be able to run the Duchy or any trust with as much effectiveness as his father has done. I very much doubt it. The long awaited reign of William and Catherine may turn out to be a dud on a monumental scale.

I also wonder whether people do realize that these guys love their father and actually resent people who try to insult and diminish him? Saying that we love you to William and Harry is somewhat negated by the notion that in the same breathe, these people insult and diminish his father.  As Earl Spencer soon learnt, the bond between Charles and his sons is rather stronger than Diana let on or wanted to be.