Harry & Megan - Part 2

Started by SophieChloe, March 17, 2017, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

@sandy-Why would we compare the non-existent press coverage of Kate's college break up with Harry Ropner  to a pair of public figures like Meghan and her previous boyfriend Cory Vitellio? :shrug:

sandy

It was covered in the press or else how would anybody have known?  I never heard of Cory and Meghan until she started dating Harry. I don't follow the show Suits.

TLLK

Yes but why would you compare the press coverage about the breakup of public figures Meghan and Cory to the non-existent one for a pair of college students-Kate and Harry?

sandy

Kate was no ordinary student. But I still did not hear of Meghan and Cory until she started seeing Harry.

TLLK

QuoteKate was no ordinary student.
Of course she was until she was identified as William's girlfriend prior to that she was just another student at St. Andrew's.

Curryong

It took quite a while for Kate to be identified as William's love interest as far as I remember, though I admit I didn't follow the romance closely. Of course there were embargoes on the media while Will remained at university, but I believe the couple did go out with friends a lot, which did mask things for nearly a year after they dated.

I think the first sign that Kate and William were dating seriously came with photos on a skiing holiday they took together with Charles. The couple were very much protected by the embargo and by university life which allowed a fair bit of freedom. I really can't remember an awful lot of press intrusion when William and Kate were living together in Wales either.

Harry, because he never attended Uni, never got those embargoes. He and Chelsy were rather naive and were photographed together often though she certainly didn't like being chased around by paps. He tried different tactics with Cressida like going almost completely underground which didn't really work either, and the secrecy has continued with Meghan. It irritates me somewhat because, although I do understand a desire for privacy while building a relationship, I feel it doesn't allow much if any time for the British public to get used to them being a couple in love or for people to get to know her before an engagement announcement.

TLLK, I know the relationship between Victoria and Daniel was a long one before they were allowed to marry, but were they seen out together a lot and photographed in those early years?  I didn't take that much notice at the time, and know that the Swedish media is nothing like the British!

I do know that Felipe's engagement to Letizia came as quite a surprise to the general populace, as did Gui and Stephanie of Lux's and Pilippe and Mathilde's of Belgium in their respective countries. There was none of this constant speculation that senior British royals are subjected to.

sandy

I recall it was soon after the 21st birthday party of WIll when people thought he was dating Jecca. Kate's name started appearing in the news and her pictures and those pictures of her modeling in the see through dress at University where then it was thought she was his girlfriend. The rumors started and to confirm them after a while, there was that skiing picture of their hugging on the slopes. She only lived with him in Wales much later on right before the engagement was announced. As I recall it was for weekends since he was in the service and she was living for the most of the time with her parents.

TLLK

QuoteIt took quite a while for Kate to be identified as William's love interest as far as I remember, though I admit I didn't follow the romance closely. Of course there were embargoes on the media while Will remained at university, but I believe the couple did go out with friends a lot, which did mask things for nearly a year after they dated.

@Curryong-Exactly right as their friendship and later romantic involvement took time to take hold. So their relationship was noticed by the press long after Kate and Harry  would have broken up so comparing that break up with Meghan and Cory's doesn't really make sense.

Double post auto-merged: August 15, 2017, 01:32:10 PM

QuoteTLLK, I know the relationship between Victoria and Daniel was a long one before they were allowed to marry, but were they seen out together a lot and photographed in those early years?  I didn't take that much notice at the time, and know that the Swedish media is nothing like the British!

I do know that Felipe's engagement to Letizia came as quite a surprise to the general populace, as did Gui and Stephanie of Lux's and Pilippe and Mathilde's of Belgium in their respective countries. There was none of this constant speculation that senior British royals are subjected to.

TBH @Curryong I don't really know how often they were photographed together but that may have been limited to Scandinavian and German publications. Victoria seems to be very well-liked and respected by the home press so I get the feeling that their relationship didn't warrant the same tabloid frenzy that her peers in the UK, NL, Spain, Norway and Denmark received while they were dating their future spouses. (Considering the fact that the press may have played a partial role in Victoria's eating disorder, they may have been chosen to hold back.) Belgium's press seems to have been taken by complete surprise that Phillipe was dating at all!

IMO the Spanish language tabloid press seems to be as aggressive as the English language ones and they too have a  very large audience. W-A and Maxima's relationship introduced an entire continent to other European royals besides those in Spain so that brought more attention to royal romances. Felipe had been previously linked with a Norwegian model before Letizia but that relationship ended after Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding. He and Letizia had a short but intense dating period before announcing their engagement which seemed to take everyone in Spain by surprise.

sandy

Both Kate and Meghan had previous relationships (Meghan also a divorcee).  Meghan and Harry could very well succeed as a couple but time will tell.

I remember before the Kate stories came out the papers had the story of WIll and Jecca's "pretend engagement" in Africa.

Curryong

According to the Daily Fail local newspapers in Botswana reported that Harry and Meghan (and RPOs) crossed the Botswana border at a small border post a few days ago. The Fail reports that local officials have been asked to look out for them as they are believed to be heading for the Victoria Falls to round up their holiday.

What a fantastic sight the Falls must be. I've seen Niagara but I wouldn't mind seeing these at all!

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle round off African holiday | Daily Mail Online

FanDianaFancy

Marriage. I believe so. Time will tell. As for MM, her ex boyfriend, ex husband, MM is a C-D list actress on a cable tv show, Suits, on A&E channel. That channel is so so. The show is so so.
It is not a hot cable tv show like Power on HBO.

I am not taking a dig at MM.

There is nothing wrong or bad about the show, Suits, A&E, or MM being C/D list actress.

If anything, this all works out in her favor being with H in that she is not AmyAdams,ScarletJohanson, etc. known.

Curryong

According to a local Zambian newspaper Harry and Meghan have now left Zambia (presumably for London.) This short article is very detailed. It says they took a helicopter ride over the city of Livingson and the Victoria Falls. (How fantastic would that be!) It also states that they are believed to have stayed at a Lodge (very much under the radar apparently) and refers to Meghan as Harry's fiancee!

Prince Harry leaves Zambia – The Mast Online

Kritter

^ I have thought a lot of the negativity about Meghan has been because of this underlying factor. Harry has already spoken of his disgust for that behavior & rightly so.

royalanthropologist

I for one I am glad the bigots have been exposed. Unfortunately the monarchy has to rely on the support of bigots sometimes so they try to appease them. I always like it when the true Britain is exposed in all its glory rather than trying to project an image of a civilized tolerant society that does not exist.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on December 04, 2017, 11:00:46 AM
I for one I am glad the bigots have been exposed. Unfortunately the monarchy has to rely on the support of bigots sometimes so they try to appease them. I always like it when the true Britain is exposed in all its glory rather than trying to project an image of a civilized tolerant society that does not exist.
What does that mean?  Are you saying that British society is full of "bigots"?

Trudie

Well IMO it seems that is the biggest problem though not expressed by some on this forum. The most vocal IMO is her being American an actress etc is a falsehood it is good old fashioned bigotry. So Meghan is mixed raced last time I looked she was as beautiful and human as a total Caucasion who like the rest of us breathes, eat, speaks, loves the same as anyone else. Harry chose a woman based on her personality and shared his interests not her racial profile looking at the two of them together this is love at it's most beautiful and I can see a very strong marriage ahead.

Double post auto-merged: December 04, 2017, 11:18:34 AM

Quote from: amabel on December 04, 2017, 11:15:46 AM
What does that mean?  Are you saying that British society is full of "bigots"?

Amabel it is not just the British it is rampant here in the States as I am sure you have read.

amabel

but that's not what Royalantrhopolist said.  Or at least that was what I undertsood her to be saying, that British society is "full of bigots"....underneath a fa?ade of being "civilised.."

Kritter

^ That was my impression too. Bigotry is a world problem though.