Duke of Cambridge and the ivory trade

Started by TLLK, January 02, 2017, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke of Cambridge, President of @united4wildlife, has welcomed China's announcement to ban all ivory trade

The Duke said China's decision to ban its domestic ivory trade "could be a turning point in the race to save elephants from extinction."

HRH: "I congratulate the Chinese Government for following through on this important commitment. This battle can be won."

"We need all countries to step up to the plate & do their part to end the illegal wildlife trade & save these species before it's too late."

royalanthropologist

oooh but they do hunt so it is a little bit hypocritical. It is all very well protecting those cute elephants and then butchering a hapless fox. If it was for meat, I would understand but they just do it for fun.  :no:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

IMO is a difference between the illegal wildlife trade and hunting for food and conservation so I don't find it to be hypocritical. AT this point in time  fox hunting is illegal in the UK and has been for approximately ten years now.  Hunting and shooting wildlife - GOV.UK

Double post auto-merged: January 02, 2017, 08:41:49 PM

Prince William praises China over pledge to eradicate ivory trade by 2018 | London Evening Standard

royalanthropologist

I suppose it is a question of perspective. Until recently cannibalism was perfectly legal in certain countries because legislators forgot to include it in the penal code. To me hunting for pure sport (not conservation, culling, food etc.) sounds like a good idea until they describe it in detail. For example I heard of the practice where women who had participated in the hunt would "bloody themselves" by rubbing the animals blood on their checks, only to arrive at dinner later. Rather decadent to my middle class mind.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

Personally I'm glad that traditional fox hunting has ended. The link from the UK above shares how the traditional activity can continue in a new form without the fox being killed in the end.

I believe that the practice of "bloodying" has gone on for thousands of years around the world, though like you I'd be a bit squeamish about it.  :unsure:

I don't hunt but my husbands extended family members do every fall in Northern Minnesota and do process/eat what they kill. I am aware that some hunters do donate their surplus to food banks. :)

PaulaB

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 02, 2017, 04:07:59 PM
oooh but they do hunt so it is a little bit hypocritical. It is all very well protecting those cute elephants and then butchering a hapless fox. If it was for meat, I would understand but they just do it for fun.  :no:

Fox hunting was banned 14 years ago

royalanthropologist

Got it thanks but what do they shoot if not fox??? I always hear of New Year shoots, some even organized by the Middletons

wannable

In the UK autumn and winter season is pheasant. As you may find many pics of them pointing to the sky.

No one can just randomly shoot game....there are strict laws in place. The estate land properties where people can shoot game have to comply with immediately picking up the game and taking it to the warehouse where it's cleaned and cut for consumption for free to the household or sold to the public.

All the Windsor family estates are compliant.  Balmoral receives gold certificate yearly as one of the best as per zero errors to the strict UK policies.

Summer is deer hunting.

One may also have read articles by ex chefs of the three households, the Windsors eat their own game and produce. They are about 90% commerce free, as they eat what their lands produce.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: wannable on January 03, 2017, 12:03:29 PM
In the UK autumn and winter season is pheasant. As you may find many pics of them pointing to the sky.

No one can just randomly shoot game....there are strict laws in place. The estate land properties where people can shoot game have to comply with immediately picking up the game and taking it to the warehouse where it's cleaned and cut for consumption for free to the household or sold to the public.

All the Windsor family estates are compliant.  Balmoral receives gold certificate yearly as one of the best as per zero errors to the strict UK policies.

Summer is deer hunting.

One may also have read articles by ex chefs of the three households, the Windsors eat their own game and produce. They are about 90% commerce free, as they eat what their lands produce.

Thanks for educating me. I had this impression of toffs going off to shoot everything in sight after dinner.

Jennifer

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge has publicly praised the Chinese government's decision to phase out the trade of African ivory starting from 31 March 2017, with the aim of a complete outlaw of the trade by the end of the year.

In a statement the royal and avid conservationist urged more countries to follow suit and stressed the necessity of such a move in order to prevent elephants from becoming extinct. He said, 'China's decision to ban its domestic ivory trade by the end of the year could be a turning point in the race to save elephants from extinction.

'I congratulate the Chinese Government for following through on this important commitment. This battle can be won. We need all countries to step up to the plate and do their part to end the illegal wildlife trade and save our iconic species before it is too late.'

Read more:
Prince William believes China?s decision to ban ivory trade is a ?turning point? – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 03, 2017, 12:45:06 PM

Summer is deer hunting.

Thanks for educating me. I had this impression of toffs going off to shoot everything in sight after dinner.
why would they shoot after dinner?  And shooting is not the same as hunting

TLLK

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 03, 2017, 12:45:06 PM

Summer is deer hunting.

It's not too different than it is in the U.S. There are seasons in which various types of game and birds can be hunted and rules that have to be followed.

TLLK

Victory for William as Britain outlaws sales of ivory | Daily Mail Online

QuoteThe ban will cover almost all ivory, except for items which are not deemed to contribute to the poaching of elephants. These exemptions include musical instruments such as pianos with ivory keys, items containing a small amount of ivory and those with significant historic, artistic or cultural value.

Sales to and between museums would also be exempted.

Read more: Victory for William as Britain outlaws sales of ivory | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TLLK

Sale of ivory in UK to be banned in victory for campaign backed by Prince William

QuoteThe sale of ivory in Britain will be banned in a bid to stop the ?abhorrent? slaughter of elephants, Michael Gove has announced in a victory for a campaign backed by the Duke of Cambridge.

The ban will cover ivory items of all ages and anyone who breaches it could face an unlimited fine or up to five years in jail.