King Philip II of Spain

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 22, 2015, 12:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Philip II of Spain - YouTube     
King Philip II reigned over Spain from 1554 to 1598.

LouisFerdinand

In 1581 Philip II became King of Portugal. In 1578 King Sebastian I of Portugal died without children. In 1580 King Henry I died without descendants. Philip was the son of Isabella of Portugal, who was the daughter of King Manuel I.

LouisFerdinand

Having been made the Duke of Milan in 1540 and having been observed by his father, King Charles I decided he could be trusted to leave the regency in Philip's hands in 1543. His words of advice to Prince Philip were 'piety, patience, modesty, and distrust'.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

A colored engraving of Maria Manuela, Princess of Asturias, as the spouse of the future Philip II.   
Maria Manuela of Portugal . Daughter of King John III of Portugal and... News Photo | Getty Images

LouisFerdinand

Philip attended the Imperial Diet of Augsburg in 1550. His father, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V in 1551 negotiated the family agreement that would leave the Holy Roman Empire to his brother Ferdinand I. Philip would inherit Charles' other lands, then succeed Uncle Ferdinand as emperor.

LouisFerdinand

King Philip II became increasingly dependent on loans from foreign bankers, particularly in Genoa and Augsburg. By the end of his reign, interest payments on these loans alone accounted for 40 percent of state revenue.

LouisFerdinand

Even though the Escorial is considered King Philip II's palace, his rooms were spartan and contained few pieces of furniture.

LouisFerdinand

King Philip II received ambassadors from Flanders prior to his invasion of The Netherlands.     
King Philip II (Felipe II) of Spain, receives ambassadors from Stock Photo: 90858672 - Alamy

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

On January 16, 1556 Philip II became King of Spain when his father gave up the throne. Philip chose to stay out of the country until his father died, two years later.

LouisFerdinand

King Philip II claimed the throne of Portugal as the grandson of King Manuel I at the demise of King Henrique I of Portugal. Philip appointed a viceroy and let the Portuguese keep their own laws.

LouisFerdinand

After Philip married Queen Mary I of England, he would be called "King of England". All official documents, including Parliamentary minutes, would be signed by both Queen Mary and King Philip.

LouisFerdinand

King Philip II of Spain devalued Spanish currency on November 29, 1596.   

:xmas14: :xmas14: :xmas14: :xmas14: