The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to visit the Middle East

Started by Jennifer, September 25, 2016, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteIt has been announced that the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit Bahrain, Oman and the United Arab Emirates in November. This will be the first time that the pair will have visited all three countries together, although they have made a number of visits to the individual countries since Prince Charles first visited The Sultanate of Oman in 1980. The visit is being made at the request of the British Government, and at this stage the itinerary has not been disclosed, although it is believed the intention is to warm the United Kingdom's strong relationships with key partners in the region.

With talk of the United Kingdom beginning negotiations with the European Community, to leave possibly at the beginning of 2017, it is clear that negotiations with other possible markets must continue apace to fill any possible voids in the export market. Hence it is clear this will be one of the main drives behind the visit, though some others may wish that the subject of human rights is also high on the agenda.

Read more:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to visit Bahrain, Oman and the United Arab Emirates – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Trudie

TLLK

Quote from: Jennifer on September 25, 2016, 11:31:26 AM
QuoteIt has been announced that the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall will visit Bahrain, Oman and the United Arab Emirates in November. This will be the first time that the pair will have visited all three countries together, although they have made a number of visits to the individual countries since Prince Charles first visited The Sultanate of Oman in 1980. The visit is being made at the request of the British Government, and at this stage the itinerary has not been disclosed, although it is believed the intention is to warm the United Kingdom's strong relationships with key partners in the region.

With talk of the United Kingdom beginning negotiations with the European Community, to leave possibly at the beginning of 2017, it is clear that negotiations with other possible markets must continue apace to fill any possible voids in the export market. Hence it is clear this will be one of the main drives behind the visit, though some others may wish that the subject of human rights is also high on the agenda.

Read more:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to visit Bahrain, Oman and the United Arab Emirates – Royal Central
With HM and the DoE scaling back their overseas travel, I'm not surprised to see the PoW and DoC being dispatched more frequently.  Wouldn't be surprised if they're in the Middle East again in a couple of years. Curious to see if the Foreign Office will want to raise the human rights discussion while the pair are there.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I doubt theyll mention either human rights or funding of radical groups, too much $$$ in British arms sales at steak, gotta be pimpin' for BAE and such  :ugh: .
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Duchess of Cornwall joins a children's reading session in Oman | Daily Mail Online

The nation opens its first children's library.

Double post auto-merged: November 06, 2016, 05:01:50 PM

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on November 06, 2016, 12:41:47 AM
I doubt theyll mention either human rights or funding of radical groups, too much $$$ in British arms sales at steak, gotta be pimpin' for BAE and such  :ugh: .
Likely those conversations will hopefully be left to the diplomats rather than royals IMHO. I believe that needs to be the work of the diplomatic corp. The couple's Danish peers CP Frederik and CP Mary visited Saudi Arabia about 5 months ago. King Felipe and Queen Letizia were in Morocco in July of 2014 so royal visits to  North Africa/ME nations appear to be on the rise again from 2011's Arab Spring.

Jennifer

QuotePrince Charles seen waving 3ft sword around while dancing

It seems to run in the family. Prince Charles took to the dancing floor waving a sharp three-foot long sword around on his first day in Oman. Last year, the Duchess of Cornwall waved a large knife at her husband during an appearance, continuing on this family trend for waving weapons around.

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were taking part in the Razha, Oman's national dance. Waving the traditional sword comes as part of the dance.

Prince Charles has tried sword dancing before in Saudi Arabia but by the looks of things he had been practising. Although his skills have improved, it still probably best that we aren't in the mid evil times and princes and knights of the UK don't rely on swords for survival.

Read more:
Prince Charles seen waving 3ft sword around while dancing – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

sandy

Charles always seems to try to play goofy lately. I don't think this is a good image for him.

TLLK

Prince Charles and Camilla attend an event at the historic Al Jahili Fort in Abu Dhabi | Daily Mail Online

Visit to a nature preserve and a hospital specializing in raptors. I can understand Camilla's reluctance to get too close to some of the patients. :unsure:

sandy

I think these birds are beautiful. Camilla never hesitated to shoot birds at hunts. I don't get her acting all "scared" over being near them.

TLLK

Yes I agree that they're beautiful, but one big difference is that raptors are deadly predators. :eyes: Pheasants, quail and doves...well not so much. :wink:

Izabella

QuoteJohn Hammond: Welcome... to Jurassic Park.

Wait...no...never mind!  :partaay:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Well, we all wish Camilla would take up the middle eastern dress, being all covered up suits her and saves our eyes...also the childrens library....she clearly does not look at ease there, and it invites unflattering comparisons to Diana...stick to your own alleys, Camilla. Better to play to your own strengths well, than to play to Diana's looking ill at ease....but hey, its a good larf for us. :partaay: :lol:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote from: Izabella on November 08, 2016, 05:25:45 AM
QuoteJohn Hammond: Welcome... to Jurassic Park.

Wait...no...never mind!  :partaay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc0UehYemQA  The official trailer! :lol:

Double post auto-merged: November 09, 2016, 02:20:34 AM

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall meets sick children at a hospital in Dubai | Daily Mail Online

Izabella

Looks like bubble wrap.  :shrug:

Scarlet O' Hara dressed in a curtain. The Duchess a clear shower curtain found on clearance.  :lol:

sandy

I'm glad the visit is over. The DM and it's "Stunning" Camilla stories were ridicululous

TLLK

Quote from: Izabella on November 11, 2016, 05:17:39 AM
Looks like bubble wrap.  :shrug:

Scarlet O' Hara dressed in a curtain. The Duchess a clear shower curtain found on clearance.  :lol:
I have mixed feelings on it. I think if it was used as an accent or trim then it would be great, but an all over effect like her tunic is too much. Like most European royals visiting the Gulf States, she's selected light weight and flowing fabrics for her wardrobe to pair with loose trousers.

sandy

Some of the tops on the pants suits were not figure flattering and called attention to Camilla's poor foundation garments.

TLLK

The foundation garments have been an issue for awhile, but I do believe that Camilla does have some back issues that may or may not be the onset of osteoporosis.

As for the loose cut of the tunics, that is likely due to the conservative dress in the region or they're easier for her to fit in to due to her back issues. 

Double post auto-merged: November 11, 2016, 05:05:24 PM

Their Royal Highnesses spend a final day in the United Arab Emirates

Double post auto-merged: November 11, 2016, 11:19:40 PM

The Prince of Wales attends a Service of Remembrance on Armistice Day as Their Royal Highnesses spend a final day in Bahrain

sandy

There are foundation garments for people with back issues. I don't think Camilla was exactly a fashion icon or the best dresser even way back when.