What if a prince, or a king got his mistress pregnant?

Started by PrincessKLS, November 19, 2007, 03:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalanthropologist

I am not sure any monarchy today would be able to sustain the notion that there are "illegitimate children". The uproar and the interventions of the courts would probably put paid to that. The best they could do was persuade the prince to get married as soon as possible...short gun wedding style. Otherwise the notion of an "illegitimate" child would rankle many, many people who are born outside wedlock.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

They certainly would have a hard time bearing up under an onslaught similar to the British Press. However, it's quite well known that Albert of Monaco has illegitimate older children than his twins with Princess Charlene.

The late Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands had at least one known illegitimate child, as has ex King Albert of the Belgians. It was a long running dispute with his illegitimate daughter who just wanted to be recognised by him that, besides illhealth, pretty well decided Albert on abdication, not the actual existence of the woman herself.

There have also been strong rumours in the past about Prince Philip and Juan Carlos of Spain also having some progeny out of marriage, so I'm not sure the populations of the countries that these royals represent would be so quick to call for them to be thrown out.

amabel

Their marriage has't lasted and I don't tink that the Royal parents were too happy with it. but I believe the Lux Press is very pro royal and perhaps they didn't think there was anyting odd in a young couple doing the same as many other young couples.  It was not a morganatic marriage..

LouisFerdinand

King Henry VIII got his mistress Elizabeth Blount pregnant. The King and Cardinal Wolsey saw to it that Bessie was treated just like Henry's Queen while she was with child.

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on August 13, 2017, 05:47:56 AM
I am not sure any monarchy today would be able to sustain the notion that there are "illegitimate children". The uproar and the interventions of the courts would probably put paid to that. The best they could do was persuade the prince to get married as soon as possible...short gun wedding style. Otherwise the notion of an "illegitimate" child would rankle many, many people who are born outside wedlock.
Yes there are royal "illegitimate children". I'm sure you know that Prince Albert of Monaco has 2 and some reports say more.  And that other royals have people making what seem to be quite "Likely" claims that they are children of the Said royal.  King Albert II of Belgium for example.
So I don't reallyknow what you mean

Double post auto-merged: October 15, 2017, 09:11:35 AM

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 15, 2017, 12:23:18 AM
King Henry VIII got his mistress Elizabeth Blount pregnant. The King and Cardinal Wolsey saw to it that Bessie was treated just like Henry's Queen while she was with child.
No she wasn't.  She was problaby secluded somewhere to give birth and then as I recall she was married off and her child ws reared in the Royal court.

TLLK

Prince 'admits' second illegitimate child - Telegraph
Quote from: Curryong on August 13, 2017, 06:02:05 AM
They certainly would have a hard time bearing up under an onslaught similar to the British Press. However, it's quite well known that Albert of Monaco has illegitimate older children than his twins with Princess Charlene.

The late Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands had at least one known illegitimate child, as has ex King Albert of the Belgians. It was a long running dispute with his illegitimate daughter who just wanted to be recognised by him that, besides illhealth, pretty well decided Albert on abdication, not the actual existence of the woman herself.

There have also been strong rumours in the past about Prince Philip and Juan Carlos of Spain also having some progeny out of marriage, so I'm not sure the populations of the countries that these royals represent would be so quick to call for them to be thrown out.
@Curryong- It was acknowledged after his death that Bernhard had two illegitimate daughters. Both came to pay their respects prior to the funeral and were received by their half-sisters. I agree that there are likely other illegitimate children that were fathered by the late and present monarchs and prince consorts. I wish that Albert would just deal with the situation with Delphine Boel. <_<