Selfie frenzied athletes steal the Belgian royals' thunder

Started by Jennifer, October 24, 2014, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteA handful of Belgian athletes showed their excitement towards meeting Queen Mathilde and King Philippe in a very obvious and fun way as they, together with a bunch of other athletes, stood in line to meet the royal couple, on Wednesday at the The Royal Palace of Laeken, Brussels.

The approximately 200 athletes were welcomed to the royal castle on the invitation of the royal couple as a way of acknowledging their great contributions in major competitions in 2013 and 2014, such as the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, the European Athletics Championships and the Paralympic Games.

Queen Mathilde and her husband King Philippe congratulated as many as possible and while many of the athletes waited peacefully for their turn, a group of hockey girls decided to take advantage of the waiting time by snapping some fun selfies — King Philippe seemingly not aware of what was happening further down the line.

Read more:
Selfie frenzied athletes steal the Belgian royals' thunder | Royalista
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

I wonder if most royals don't even care anymore regarding the selfies.

Limabeany

I hate them! Ugh! But, I understand people do that now, etc... I still hate them and if someone would take one with my deceased body I would haunt them mercilessly until they erased all trace of it.  :snob:

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap: :happy20: OMG!!! BEETLEJUICE!!!!!!

Jennifer

That part from Beetle Juice was HILARIOUS!!!  :D :lol: I don't mind going back to the 1980s. The movies during that decade and the 1990s were wonderful.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Limabeany

I know @Jennifer and the romantic movies were so feel-good and not so Shakesperianly-tragic as they are today!
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

That headline cracks me up. I have this picture in my head of the athletes stumbling over each other in a crazed fashion with cameras at the ready.

Limabeany

I know, it was all so polite, the headline made it seem as if they were pulling them into the selfies against their will.

TLLK

I wonder if this was a Google translation from French or Flemish? Sometimes they wording is a little off.

Jennifer

Quote from: Limabeany on October 26, 2014, 11:58:04 PM
I know @Jennifer and the romantic movies were so feel-good and not so Shakesperianly-tragic as they are today!

I wish I had a time machine, so I can travel back in time!  :yesss:  I would get out of the 2010s.  :Lothwen: All this' texting' and smartphone technology has ruined people. The movies of this era are not good. I don't understand this generation's fascination by the Twilight & Hunger Games series.

Limabeany

Neither can I! I saw a bit of the Hunger Games and I don't get it , couldn't get through it, and Twilight is just  :orchid:

Curryong

There's no money to make many movies any more in Hollywood, or I'm sure we'd get a greater variety. They just cater for a teen audience because that's the demographic that goes to see the big blockbusters.

Jennifer

@Limabeany I don't get it either.  The plots of those movies don't make sense. They can make better stories. There is no excuses.

@snokitty , you're right. Something drastic would have to happen. Maybe within a few years, a scientist would successfully invent a time machine. That would be the world's greatest creation. :nod:

Double post auto-merged: October 29, 2014, 02:05:47 PM

Quote from: Curryong on October 29, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
There's no money to make many movies any more in Hollywood, or I'm sure we'd get a greater variety. They just cater for a teen audience because that's the demographic that goes to see the big blockbusters.

They can still make good movies for the teenagers like they way they did back in the 1990s.