Queen Elizabeth has never travelled to THIS country on a state visit

Started by Kritter, February 17, 2018, 05:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Queen Elizabeth has never travelled to Cuba on a state visit | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk

QuoteQueen Elizabeth, 91, is not just the longest serving monarch in British history but is also the most well-travelled.

She ascended to the throne in 1952, reigning for 66 years, and has travelled to over 120 countries on state visits.

Many of these countries were in the Commonwealth, due to her being the head of it.

Yet there is one country that she has yet to travel to as the Queen.

TLLK

The Express seems to have forgotten about this article that they wrote recently because while she has visited Greece before marrying Phillip and prior to becoming Queen, she's never been there on a state visit. The earlier trip would not be considered a state visit because she was not head of state then. QEII has also never visited Israel on a state, official or private visit during her lifetime.

Queen Elizabeth has never visited this country for this reason | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk

QuoteQueen Elizabeth II has travelled to many countries around the world during her reign, visiting some of the most far flung places.

She has currently visited 116 of the 193 members of the United Nations over the years during her many tours.

However, there is one country she hasn?t visited since becoming queen at the age of 25.  The Queen hasn?t travelled to Greece ever since taking the crown.

She visited once as a young woman before marrying Prince Philip in 1947 after being invited by Prince Philip's first cousin once removed, King Paul.

Royal historian Hugo Vickers told the BBC that Prince Philip is technically a ?Greek Prince,? so it is an "interesting" omission.

He stated: ?Prince Philip doesn't like Greece, because they put his father on trial, and he might have been executed. In 1922, they all had to flee."

Vickers also believes that the Queen might not have been invited by the current Greek president since.

Queen Elizabeth has never travelled to Israel for this reason | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk

QuoteThe Queen has never been to Israel on a royal visit which according to the Telegraph, is because of the ?never-ending tensions in the region.?

This is due to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

A royal visit to a nation that is unsettled isn?t deemed to be wise, especially by the government who dictate the state visits.

Ezer Weizman, who was the president of Israel in 1997, did visit Britain on a state visit, yet has not been reciprocated.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Both Cuba and Israel are hot button areas so wouldnt have been prudent for her to visit, id have to google if Batista was in power when she was crowned, but by the time she did her expected visits to the commonwealth, Castro was in power.

Same with Israel, too much conflict, and the memory of Israeli and Palestine terror attacks on British troops stationed there would have been fresh early in her reign. Both sides wanted the British gone so they could tear each other apart.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

@Duch_Luver_4ever -AFAIK the BRF has kept its visits to Israel limited to private ones. Princess Alice (Phillip's mother) is buried there and is recognized as one of the Righteous Among Nations for her efforts to hide Jews during WWII. I do know that Phillip and Charles have made separate visits to her grave site.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I doubt we'll see a state visit to Israel anytime soon, possibly when George is king, but not holding my breath, usually ethnic/sectarian issues like this are either brutally suppressed for awhile or removed by clearing out one of the aggrieved parties.

Cuba might be more doable once Raul is gone, with Fidel's son dead, idk if they will be able to hang on just by the "cult of personality", reforms may take place, especially with the economic success of China and the fall of Venezuela and NK economically.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TheRoyalist83

There are actually a few places she hasn't traveled to since her coronation - including her husbands place of birth, Greece!

I found this really cool map recently which shows where she has traveled, and includes a lot of great trivia facts. I believe it was only launched last week so it's as up to date as can be for 2018!

The Travels of Queen Elizabeth II - Medical Travel Compared

TLLK

SophieChloe

And every inch of it was done in supreme comfort.  She didn't slum it now, did she? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Canada is the winner of the most visits from their Head of State. (However sometimes a visit is just a refueling stop. )

QuoteThe Queen has visited Canada more than any other country ? a grand total of 27 times.

As Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, Queen Elizabeth remains its Head of State, although her role is purely ceremonial. Canada is the only nation, apart from the UK, for whom the Queen has made a state visit on behalf of. Twice she has been hosted in the US as the Queen of Canada, rather than the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Despite the commendable number of times she has visited Canada, it should be noted that a couple of those were merely a matter of convenience. During long-haul trips to Oceania and the Caribbean islands, Queen Elizabeth?s plane regularly stops in Canada for refuelling.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Interesting, I knew that the Queen didnt have a passport for entering the UK, but aside from the fact that just about everyone knows who she is, and officials working ahead of any arrival abroad to smooth things over as far as paperwork, you would still think shed need one or some paperwork for when arriving in foreign countries, shes not the queen of some of those countries.

Can you imagine some border guard from Alabama or something "you dont have a passport cause youre the Queen of England, riiiighhhtttt"  :lol:

TheRoyalist83

Quote from: TLLK on February 27, 2018, 06:31:40 PM
Thank you for sharing the map. 😊

No problem - I think it's great! Such a great resource for the younger generation too!

Double post auto-merged: February 28, 2018, 08:58:12 AM

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on February 27, 2018, 11:55:43 PM
Interesting, I knew that the Queen didnt have a passport for entering the UK, but aside from the fact that just about everyone knows who she is, and officials working ahead of any arrival abroad to smooth things over as far as paperwork, you would still think shed need one or some paperwork for when arriving in foreign countries, shes not the queen of some of those countries.

Can you imagine some border guard from Alabama or something "you dont have a passport cause youre the Queen of England, riiiighhhtttt"  :lol:

I know yeah! I was thinking the same...

But I suppose she wouldn't get the same treatment at the boarder as we do. I couldn't exactly see her queuing up with her documents to show in passport control :D I'd love to see exactly how she travels and how different her experiences are to ours  :D