Royal Exes-Spouses and significant others

Started by sara8150, January 13, 2017, 05:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

A thread to discuss the former spouses and past relationships for royals.

Princess Margaret's former husband Lord Snowdon dies aged 86
Princess Margaret's former husband Lord Snowdon has died

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2017, 05:10:03 PM

The royal rebel: Society photographer Lord Snowdon, the charming ex-husband of Princess Margaret who captured iconic images of the Queen and Diana, dies peacefully at home aged 86
Lord Snowdon, Princess Margaret?s former husband, dies aged 86 | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2017, 05:12:08 PM

Princess Margaret's Former Husband Lord Snowdon Dies at 86
Lord Snowdon, Princess Margaret's Former Husband, Dies at 86

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2017, 05:13:50 PM

Lord Snowdon dies aged 86
Lord Snowdon dies aged 86 - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2017, 05:16:19 PM

Lord Snowdon, Princess Margaret's former husband, dies aged 86
Lord Snowdon, Princess Margaret's former husband, dies aged 86

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2017, 05:18:07 PM

Lord Snowdon, former husband of Princess Margaret, dies aged 86
Lord Snowdon, former husband of Princess Margaret, dies aged 86

Jennifer

QuoteBREAKING: Lord Snowdon, former husband to Princess Margaret, dies aged 86

Lord Snowdon, the former husband of Princess Margaret, has died peacefully at the age of 86 a family spokesperson has announced.

The world-renowned photographer and film maker married The Queen's sister in 1960, but divorced a few years later in 1978.

Buckingham Palace has confirmed that The Queen is aware of Lord Snowdon's death.

Read more:
BREAKING: Lord Snowdon, former husband to Princess Margaret, dies aged 86 – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

amabel

Sad to hear of his death but he had reached a good age and was in increasingly poor health

SophieChloe

^ Yes, he reached a good age and lived an exciting life. 

About 10 years ago I was in London and he nearly knocked me over.  He wagged his finger at me like he was still a Royal.

Another of the old guard has gone. 

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

LouisFerdinand

David Armstrong-Jones now has the title of 2nd Earl of Snowdon.   
This article included fabulous pictures that Antony had taken.   
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4117490

TLLK

Thank you for sharing the article with the incredible collection of his work.

Kinkade

Those are wonderful photographs. Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see Charles and Diana have real affection for each other. They were a happy family once.

I really like the one of Princess Margaret in the bath tub.  :nod:

LouisFerdinand

Antony was educated at Cambridge. Architecture was the subject he had chosen for his degree. However he developed an interest in photography.

Kate

He was "extremely sad" that the marriage ended, my foot!! Snowden was absolutely terrible to Margaret... rude, name calling .. He wanted a divorce very badly if I recall that time....  Of course then Margaret could also be a handful. Snowden was not extremely sad, at all..

Duch_Luver_4ever

I enjoyed the behind the scenes story by India Hicks on a doc about him wielding a whistle to get everyone on point taking his wedding photos of C&D. Some real stunners of Diana in there, love the upward gaze photo and the engagement pic with the blue oxford shirt, so casual and romantic, :crazylove: and the fact that her shirt looks like she had to borrow one of his, is for its time in royal photos, a bit saucy if i do say LOL.  As usual, my favs pics of her are in casual clothes.

The pics in 92 of her I wonder if they were around the time of the book coming out, or of the separation, she looks so stiff and weary in them, like the weight of the world is on those shoulders.  :flower:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Yes, I'm afraid the 'extremely sad' about the marriage ending in the Roddy Llewellen saga was strictly for public consumption. I'm sure he was secretly delighted. Snowdon could be quite searing in his criticisms and Margaret didn't hold back either. Theirs truly was a marriage from hell after a few years, just as awful as the Wales's.

Jennifer

QuoteMeet the new Earl of Snowdon

Following the death of Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon, former husband of Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret, the new Earl of Snowdon is their son, David Albert Charles Armstrong-Jones. Although he succeeded to his father's peerage immediately upon his death, it is part of a well-established convention not to style him as Earl of Snowdon until after his father's funeral.

David Armstrong-Jones was born on 3 November 1961 and was styled as Viscount Linley up until his father's death. He was joined by a sister, Lady Sarah Chatto (née Armstrong-Jones) in 1964. From the age of five, he took lessons with his cousin Prince Andrew at Buckingham Palace and later went to several schools. He developed a passion for arts and crafts, and from 1980 to 1982 he studied at Parnham House for craftsmen in wood. He opened his own workshop, where he designed and made furniture and set up his own company. He is also the author of several books.

As a grandson of George VI, he currently stands 18th in line to succeed his aunt, Her Majesty The Queen. He is the first person in the line of succession not to be a direct descendant of Her Majesty.

Read more:
Meet the new Earl of Snowdon – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

David Armstrong-Jones is the new Earl of Snowdon | Daily Mail Online

Good pictures, but the writing..is well the DM. The Earl's funeral has NOT taken place yet despite what the caption states.

Curryong

Oh, my goodness! And he is not that old either. I hope he makes a full recovery. Stroke AND heart attack is pretty massive.

sara8150

royalanthropologist

I hope he does get better. James has been one of those people that have gotten the worst deal out of the C&D farce. Whereas Charles got his lover and Camilla got the titles, James is despised and spoken of in very disrespectful terms. Listening to some people, you could be forgiven for believing that he dragged Diana screaming and kicking into an adulterous affair. Besides he was not the only one in that mess who kissed and told. Others managed to get away with it but James remains public enemy number one for writing a rather saccharine memoir of his affair with Diana. I feel for the man on some level. Yet another victim of royals who refuse to take responsibility for their lives and actions.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

TLLK

He is young and to have two life changing health emergencies will take time to recover from.

dianab

Quote from: Curryong on May 14, 2017, 03:41:28 AM
Oh, my goodness! And he is not that old either. I hope he makes a full recovery. Stroke AND heart attack is pretty massive.
He must be a heavy smoker.... as he isnt overweight... his poor mother is still alive... poor woman... i hope he recovers for himself and for her

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on May 14, 2017, 10:48:16 AM
I hope he does get better. James has been one of those people that have gotten the worst deal out of the C&D farce. Whereas Charles got his lover and Camilla got the titles, James is despised and spoken of in very disrespectful terms. Listening to some people, you could be forgiven for believing that he dragged Diana screaming and kicking into an adulterous affair. Besides he was not the only one in that mess who kissed and told. Others managed to get away with it but James remains public enemy number one for writing a rather saccharine memoir of his affair with Diana. I feel for the man on some level. Yet another victim of royals who refuse to take responsibility for their lives and actions.
\\

Some people don't like him because he cooperated with a writer to "tell all" about the affair for $$$. IF he had been discreet and kept his mouth shut, he would not have been so reviled. Plus after DIana died he gave those unfortunate TV appearances. James treated Diana disrespectfully by selling her out that way. I found that trashy. He had someone write for him (Anna Pasternack).

I think he's sick because he may have smoked and drank.

James shot himself in the foot.

For a time he and Diana were happy and her bulimia symptoms eased up.  HE apparently went through money really fast because he is broke now. And he tried desperately to make more bucks by selling Diana's letters. Nobody stepped up and bought them.