Countess of Wessex is busy in training for the 445 mile #DofEChallenge

Started by Jennifer, August 06, 2016, 04:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteThe Countess of Wessex is now just six weeks away from the start of her Diamond Challenge on behalf of the Duke of Edinburgh Award to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the DoE's founding by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

Her Royal Highness, a long-term supporter of the DoE Award, is set to cycle the 445 miles from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to Buckingham Palace, setting off from Edinburgh on Monday, 19 September and arriving in London on Sunday, 25 September.

The challenge aims to raise money for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Diamond Appeal and the funds will go towards supporting (in particular) disadvantaged and disabled young people to gain access to participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Award.

Read more:
Countess of Wessex is busy in training for the 445 mile #DofEChallenge – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

It was nice to learn that Countess Sophie is going to raise money for the DofE by cycling.

Jennifer

I like it when a person raises money for charitable organizations through cycling and other sports. This is similar to Prince Bernhard and his goal to raise money through cycling to cancer research.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

Has Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark raised money for charity in this manner?

Jennifer

QuoteSophie Wessex talks to HELLO! about her 445 mile cycle challenge: 'I'm ready to go!'

On Monday, the Countess of Wessex sets off on an impressive 445 mile cycle from the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh to Buckingham Palace to raise money for The Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Along with a team of five fellow cyclists from regiments with which she is associated, she will be waved off by her father-in-law The Duke of Edinburgh and her husband, The Earl of Wessex, before pedalling from Scotland to London in just seven days.

It's a challenge that Sophie, 51, has trained hard for since February, fitting in rides around out her work with the 870-plus organisations of which she is Patron.

Read more:
Sophie Wessex talks to HELLO! about her forthcoming bike ride

Double post auto-merged: September 18, 2016, 10:07:48 PM

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 13, 2016, 11:45:22 PM
Has Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark raised money for charity in this manner?

I don't think he has raised money for charity through sports before.

Jennifer

I think Sophie Wessex is actually brave to take on the 445 mile cycling challenge! I would be scared to do that. This is dedicated to raising money for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award, which is a good cause.

QuoteSophie Wessex embarks on her 445 mile cycle ride: 'The Queen thinks I'm crazy'

The Countess of Wessex is cycling an impressive 445 miles from the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh to Buckingham Palace in London this week.

Sophie set herself the challenge to raise money for The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, which is marking its sixtieth anniversary this year.

Speaking exclusively to HELLO!'s royal correspondent Emily Nash, the superfit royal admitted: "There are certain members of the family who think I'm completely crazy.

Read more:
Sophie Wessex admits the Queen thinks she's 'crazy'

wannable