2015 Engagement List for Will, Kate, and Harry

Started by Canuck, February 01, 2015, 03:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SophieChloe

And it shows how pathetically little they all do. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

amabel

Quote from: Macrobug on February 14, 2015, 05:31:02 PM
I agree to a degree Amabel.  But as long as people want to see quantitative evidence of work, they will need to itemize the events.  The RF aren't using this in an official capacity, nor is the government.  It is only for royal watchers.

It
Its very nice of Canuck indeed, but I DO pay something towards the RF because I live here and really I'd rather pay for them than most of the things that the Govt waste their money on.

Canuck

I don't think engagements are a complete or fully accurate way of judging Royal work, but because they're the public side of things they're the one people tend to use.  And as Macrobug says, we've had a LOT of discussion on this forum about engagement totals for those three, so as long as that's a thing people are interested in I think it's helpful to have an easily accessible list so everyone has accurate information to draw from.

Canuck

I'm updating this a little before the end of the month because it looks likely that Kate and Harry are done for February and I wanted to get the non-Japan/China tour engagements on the list while they're fresh on my mind.  I'll do another update with Will's tour engagements once the trip is over.

One note:  I've removed the asterisk from Kate's Palliative Care Program reception because that's finally shown up on the online CC.  I've checked, but nothing additional has shown up for Will or Harry (and Will's investiture is not yet on there, though it was in the paper copy).  They really need to improve that website.

JANUARY

Will
None

Kate
January 15: Clore Art Room opening
January 16: Fostering Network visit
January 19: Family Friends coffee
January 19: Kensington Aldridge Academy visit
January 19: Kensington Leisure Centre opening

Harry
*January 9: signed book of condolence for Charlie Hebdo
January 14: Coach Core graduation session
*January 23: met with 65 Degrees North (ice cap challenge team)

FEBRUARY

Will
February 24: investiture at BP
February 24: Royal Foundation Chairman's Dinner at KP

Kate
February 10: Bethlem and Maudsley school visit
February 11: KP reception for Palliative Care Programme for Children and Young People
February 12: visit to Ben Ainslie Racing Office in Whiteley
February 12: visit to site of new Ben Ainslie Racing Base Headquarters
February 12: reception for 1851 Trust at Spinnaker Tower
February 18: visit to Emma Bridgewater factory for EACH
February 18: visit to Action for Children at Cape Hill Children's Centre
February 25: received outgoing director of the National Portrait Gallery

Harry
February 1: RFU injured players training session
February 3: visit to Full Effect program
February 25: visit to Northumberland Wildlife Trust's Red Squirrels project
February 25: visit to Avondale House veterans charity

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Thank you Canuck. I agree it was a good idea to wrap up February, but should either Harry or Kate do something in the next few days it can always be added.  :)

SophieChloe

Just goes to show just how lazy they all are.  Man alive...
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Canuck-Another site is keeping track of how many engagements performed by the full/part-time working members in the BRF are being MISSED entirely. The British monarchy site is missing many of the BRF's events.

Lady Adams

Quote from: Canuck on February 26, 2015, 04:31:19 PM

Kate

Wouldn't these count as one engagement each, since they are directly connected to each other?
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Curryong

I should think keeping tabs on the engagements for EVERY member of the BRF would be an absolute nightmare without a daily copy of The  Times. It's lucky that Kate, Harry and William do usually get photos and publicity and mentions online, even if William's investitures aren't photographed. Imagine tracking down the Gloucesters or the Duchess of Kent's or Princess Alexandra's engagements!

Macrobug

@Lady Adams

Canuck is listing all events separately. She is leaving it up to each one of us as to how we want to count the appointments.  If you wish to count them as one then you are free to do so.  I am counting them separately as they were in  separate venues with different objectives and audience.  I am also adding PW ads and BAFTA video as a separate event due to the time required to plan and record.  But others don't and that is ok.

Canuck is giving us the objective quantitative data, interpretation is up to us. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

@Lady Adams I explained the February 12 engagements when I posted the mid-February tally.  The CC is listing them separately and when I looked at some maps it appears they although both in the general port area were completely different sites (Kate was driven between them) and there they were totally different sets of people at each (young student artists and construction workers vs. college students and community leaders).  As Macrobug says, people can count them differently if they like, but I found the CC's separate listing fair enough in the circumstances to use it here.

The February 18 engagements were totally separate:  different charities, different locations, no connection to one another other than that they were within driving distance.

Lady Adams

@Canuck Thanks for your explanation. Since you are so active it's tough to remember everything you write.  :flower:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

You may have your own view of which engagements should be counted, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't ascribe motives to me that aren't true.  I want an easily-consulted list for all of the inevitable debates about number and type of engagements.  That's all.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on February 27, 2015, 12:12:51 AM
I should think keeping tabs on the engagements for EVERY member of the BRF would be an absolute nightmare without a daily copy of The  Times. It's lucky that Kate, Harry and William do usually get photos and publicity and mentions online, even if William's investitures aren't photographed. Imagine tracking down the Gloucesters or the Duchess of Kent's or Princess Alexandra's engagements!
:nod:I agree because if you didn't have access to the Times' CC list it would be impossible to record. The British Monarchy website is woefully inaccurate.

Canuck

Quote from: snokitty on February 27, 2015, 12:03:45 PM
:lol:  You mean like the gang did to the thread that I started!   :orchid:

As I understood it, your thread was a list of which engagements you personally thought should be given credit.  In that case, there's obviously going to be debate about what value judgments you're making and why.

This is an attempt to provide as judgment-free a list as possible.  If you think there's an inaccuracy--something that was left off, or something that should be on it--then I'm absolutely interested in hearing about it because I'm doing my best to be accurate here.  But my own personal tally for each Royal, and why I count certain things or don't count certain others, isn't informing what I'm doing with this list.

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on February 14, 2015, 09:43:43 PM
I don't think engagements are a complete or fully accurate way of judging Royal work, but because they're the public side of things they're the one people tend to use.  And as Macrobug says, we've had a LOT of discussion on this forum about engagement totals for those three, so as long as that's a thing people are interested in I think it's helpful to have an easily accessible list so everyone has accurate information to draw from.
And thank you for providing us with this list where people can draw their own conclusions. :)

Canuck

Below is an updated list that includes Will's engagements from Japan/China.  Nothing new for Harry or Kate.

I know someone will have this question, so I'll address it now:  yes, I've included the arrivals/departures because they appear in the CC.  People are free to not count them (or to only count those where the arrival included a component of meeting with a dignitary) when coming up with their own tallies.  Conversely, anyone who wants to do a count that follows the same guidelines used in the year-end totals the papers publish for all members of the BRF can include them.

JANUARY

Will
None

Kate
January 15: Clore Art Room opening
January 16: Fostering Network visit
January 19: Family Friends coffee
January 19: Kensington Aldridge Academy visit
January 19: Kensington Leisure Centre opening

Harry
*January 9: signed book of condolence for Charlie Hebdo
January 14: Coach Core graduation session
*January 23: met with 65 Degrees North (ice cap challenge team)

FEBRUARY

Will
February 24: investiture at BP
February 25: departed Heathrow for Japan
February 26: arrived in Japan/greeted by British ambassador
February 26: boat tour with Governor of Tokyo
February 26: tea ceremony in Hama-rikyu Gardens
February 27: lay wreath at Commonwealth cemetery
February 27: lunch with Emperor and Empress of Japan at Imperial Palace
February 27: meeting with Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan at Akasaka Palace
February 27: Innovation is Great launch in Tokyo
February 27: reception at British Embassy in Tokyo
February 28: visit to NHK Broadcasting Studio in Tokyo
February 28: visit to Innovation is Great display at T-Site Multimedia Store
February 28: visit to Smile Kids Park in Fukushima (with President of Japan)
February 28: dinner given by President of Japan

Kate
February 10: Bethlem and Maudsley school visit
February 11: KP reception for Palliative Care Programme for Children and Young People
February 12: visit to Ben Ainslie Racing Office in Whiteley
February 25: received outgoing director of the National Portrait Gallery

Harry
February 1: RFU injured players training session
February 3: visit to Full Effect program
February 25: visit to Northumberland Wildlife Trust's Red Squirrels project
February 25: visit to Avondale House veterans charity

MARCH

Will
March 1: visit to Ishinomaki NewSea building
March 1: lay wreath at Hoyoriyama Hill Vantage Point
March 1: visit to Chime of Hope Market in Onagawa
March 1: visit Matsushima Airbase in Miyagi Prefecture
March 1: depart Tokyo and arrive Beijing/greeted by British ambassador
March 2: meeting with President of China
March 2: visit to Forbidden City
March 2: meeting with Vice President of China
March 2: opening of GREAT Festival of Creativity in Shanghai
March 2: received Founder/Executive Chairman of the Alibaba Group
March 2: received Chairman of Wanda Group
March 2: received Chairman of Sanpower
March 3: attended GREAT Festival of Creativity
March 3: Premier Skills event at Nanyang School
March 3: attend Education UK's Alumni Awards Ceremony
March 3: reopening of Heritage Building at Intercontinental Shanghai
March 3: International Wildlife Trafficking Meeting with NGOs
March 3: opened British Centre
March 3: Chinese premiere of the film Paddington
March 3: dinner for GREAT Festival
March 4: visit to Mengman Village, Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture
March 4: visit to Asian Elephant Sanctuary
March 4: visit to Wild Elephant Valley
March 4: visit to Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Gardens
March 4: attended Conservation on the Border Conference
March 4: departed Hong Kong for Britain
March 5: arrived at Heathrow

Kate
None

Harry
None

Canuck

As I've explained, I'm including anything in the CC and also including anything that seems to be Royal work but that wasn't in the CC (those items have asterisks next to them, like Harry signing the condolence book). 

If there are specific things missing for Harry, I would love your help in pointing me to them.  I'm trying to include any Royal work that takes place, though when it's unofficial (not on the CC) it can be hard to find it and to sort out what was Royal vs. not.

TLLK

If anyone does realize that something is missing for any of the royals listed here please let Canuck know as she compiles the list.  :)

Thank you for the update on the Duke's tour of Japan and China Canuck.

TLLK

If anyone reads of a visit by either of them that isn't covered in the CC then I do believe it is worth sharing. She'll add an asterisk.  :)

Macrobug

Quote from: snokitty on March 05, 2015, 08:45:25 PM
Since she is copying the CC does it really matter?

The CC is a list of engagements, including K, W and H
This is a list of engagements of K, W and H.

Unless you are hoping that Canuck creates a work of fiction and invents engagements (or not list engagements that happened) there is a very good chance that there will be some similarities between the two.  They may even be the same. 

:shrug:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on March 05, 2015, 08:43:59 PM
If anyone does realize that something is missing for any of the royals listed here please let Canuck know as she compiles the list.  :)

Thank you for the update on the Duke's tour of Japan and China Canuck.

Yes, thank you very much for your updates on this tour, Canuck. It's a pity the British press didn't follow it more.

Canuck

Happy to help!  I personally find the CC website extremely cumbersome (and riddled with small inaccuracies the print copy does not suffer from), so hopefully this serves as a helpful tool for anyone who would like to see at a glance all of the engagements deemed "official" by the BRF as well as any other "non-official" Royal work (marked by asterisks) that for whatever reason was not included in the CC.

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug on March 05, 2015, 10:43:30 PM
Quote from: snokitty on March 05, 2015, 08:45:25 PM
Since she is copying the CC does it really matter?

The CC is a list of engagements, including K, W and H
This is a list of engagements of K, W and H.

Unless you are hoping that Canuck creates a work of fiction and invents engagements (or not list engagements that happened) there is a very good chance that there will be some similarities between the two.  They may even be the same. 

:shrug:
I'm demanding that my fictional account of the tea party held with Harry, Estelle and Lenore be counted in the tally. Adding an asterisk will be acceptable to me, but I'm not sure about the youngest Swedish princesses.  :D