Nightmare for Prince Charles Succession Wait!

Started by angieuk, July 27, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

He was probably speaking privately, but, in all conscience, what business is it of Nick Clegg's? It must be quite upsetting for the Queen when she reads/hears ongoing speculation and remarks like this.

Eri

Poor Chuck ... but she was so young when she had him he was destined for a looooooooooong wait it's just that no one thought it would be so long ...

sandy

Charles is still a huge self pitier probably. Clegg is bucking for a Knighthood.

TLLK

Curryong and Eri-I have to agree with both of you. AFAIK the only other monarchy in a similar situation is Thailand. King Bhumindol and QEII are similar in age though he ascended to the throne before she did. His heir is younger than Charles and is apparently not held in very high esteem AFAIK.

Trudie

I fail to see how it is a nightmare for Charles. As POW Charles has truly given a role to the title with his causes and the fact is as Monarch he will not have the freedom to speak freely on issues. Nick Clegg is a sycophant to the core in a misguided attempt to stroke the royal ego probably hoping for a knighthood and a plum position at court when Charles finally does ascend the throne.

sandy

What is bizarre about the premise of the article is the refrain about "poor Charles" waiting 62 years which happens to be close to  his age. Actually when he was born Charles was destined to be King someday being directly in line. So would it have been "better" if his mother died when Charles was young so he would not have to wait so long. It is rather a ghoulish statement to talk about Charles waiting his whole life for his mother to die or abdicate.

Eri

^ Well it's weird being Chuck ... I am sure he doesn't want his Mother to die but ...

Curryong

^^I'm sure it's been the same over the centuries with most heirs in the BRF. The future Edward VII was in a similar position and didn't reach the throne until he was elderly by the standards of the day. Though there was some tension in the relationship between himself and Victoria I'm sure he didn't want his mother to die.

Charles has really worked hard in his position as Prince of Wales. I think its obvious that he does have his moments of frustration when he sees younger men in other dynasties becoming monarchs and perhaps he might secretly wish at times that his mother would abdicate. However, he knows she won't so he can do nothing but wait.

cate1949

Not so sure Edward was so upset when his momma died - LOL

I think PC has had a very purposeful life doing things that he is very interested in - and he has done a great deal of good which he may not have been able to do if he had already made the throne

so not so sure it has been such a "nightmare"

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on July 27, 2014, 10:00:48 PM
^^I'm sure it's been the same over the centuries with most heirs in the BRF. The future Edward VII was in a similar position and didn't reach the throne until he was elderly by the standards of the day. Though there was some tension in the relationship between himself and Victoria I'm sure he didn't want his mother to die.

Charles has really worked hard in his position as Prince of Wales. I think its obvious that he does have his moments of frustration when he sees younger men in other dynasties becoming monarchs and perhaps he might secretly wish at times that his mother would abdicate. However, he knows she won't so he can do nothing but wait.
And I'd extend it to the other heirs around the globe who do not have an established tradition of abdication.

sandy

If the Queen abdicates there would be much pressure on Charles to do the same down the road. What goes around comes around.

Eri

^ And that is why I doubt he wants or thinks she will Abdicate ...

Trudie

Charles at this point is already taking on more of HM's duties and as I said previously unlike previous POW's Charles has created a role to go with the title. This is only Nick Clegg's opinion while Charles may wish to ascend the throne I hardly think he wants his mother to die and he knows that abdication is not an option.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on July 27, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
If the Queen abdicates there would be much pressure on Charles to do the same down the road. What goes around comes around.
I have to agree. While I am personally in favor of voluntary abdication, if QEII abdicates it could set a precedence that the public might expect her son and grandson to continue.

amabel

^^I'm sure it's been the same over the centuries with most heirs in the BRF. .

of course it is the same for all heirs..  I think that Charles was frustrated in the 80s because he was in his 30s and could see that It was going to be a long wait and that while he did good work as POW, he felt it wasn't enough.  and Diana seemed to eclipse his more serious work.  But that was a long time ago. I think he's adjusted, and is now picking up more of the queen's routine work, he's busy and happy and is wiling ot wait, albeit I'm sure he would Like to be king for a bit longer..

Trudie

Diana wouldn't have it seemed to eclipse Charles serious work if he had been more than happy to be a team and not a petulant child. People at the time were interested in Diana providing the heirs and her approach to charity work.

sandy

Quote from: amabel on August 03, 2014, 10:06:03 AM
^^I'm sure it's been the same over the centuries with most heirs in the BRF. .

of course it is the same for all heirs..  I think that Charles was frustrated in the 80s because he was in his 30s and could see that It was going to be a long wait and that while he did good work as POW, he felt it wasn't enough.  and Diana seemed to eclipse his more serious work.  But that was a long time ago. I think he's adjusted, and is now picking up more of the queen's routine work, he's busy and happy and is wiling ot wait, albeit I'm sure he would Like to be king for a bit longer..

Diana did serious work. She worked from the get go. When Charles married Diana his mother was only in her fifties. Unless she abdicated he did not have to be a genius to realize he could be POW for a while.

Charles just got jealous of his wife even when she was barely out of her teens.  Diana complemented Charles and he was too stupid to appreciate her.

FanDianaFancy

Starting here and taking it back.

PC   and PD  could have had it all.
The Brain and  the Beauty.
He serious to Her, the lighter side.

How it turned out  as she had nothing else in her life  , but  her work, she found and took more serious things and developed into a serious  advocate.

PC  , cannot stand his, but he always worked hard  and was serious in his position.
He  has had and will have a  LONGER wait.
He has made things better for his country.
No way  does he want his mother to die.

Seeing other  Monarchs abdicate , hmmmm, you bet he wishes, LOL!!!
QEII abdicating a way  in away to still keep her  title,  as if  after all these years   the world would refer to her by anything else, LOL.
Something to give him the title, KING, world stage etc. 

No matter what  , QEII will not abdicate.
QEII has  life of  an Oak tree.
She  will be here for another 10 years no doubt. 99 yr. QEII.

C and C will be what, in their   70's.  Still, they  will wait to be K and Q.

Sheridan

Oh please..to other posters Diana did nothing but made this man miserable, she knew she overshadowed him, if she had common sense, she would have found a way to stop it, but nooo..typical narcissistic, and don't tell me she couldn't help it, other famous people have been able to control it.

I'm glad that marriage ended...nothing to appreciate from Diana (except those two kids...i think, the future will determine how they will do, and is not looking good from William and the one he married. Charles made the right decision to agree to a divorce, it's good to see him actually smile (not the fake one) nowadays. 

sandy

Diana was scared of doing her first appearance as a royal (on tour in Wales). Various sources who were with her noticed and how she pulled herself together and did a great job. I doubt she did any scheming to upstage Charles, she was nervous like any average person would be. Charles got jealous early on. If he had been not so childish and peevish he could have appreciated his wife. While JFK and Jackie were not the most ideal couple in the world, he appreciated her popularity and made comments like "I'm the man who accompanied Jackie to Paris."

I think Charles wanted to be the center of the universe, he was bowed and scraped to and there was this outsider taking away his attention.

Charles smiled around Diana early on and it is a myth that he went around frowning there were plenty of photos to contradict the spin that he was never looking happy with Diana. The trouble is there was another woman who was not going to go away. That would doom any marriage.

If you don't appreciate Diana that's your choice. She got into a bad situation and fought back.  The right decision for Charles if he wanted his first marriage to work was to give Mrs Parker Bowles her walking papers.

Trudie

Quote from: Sheridan on August 04, 2014, 03:00:42 PM
Oh please..to other posters Diana did nothing but made this man miserable, she knew she overshadowed him, if she had common sense, she would have found a way to stop it, but nooo..typical narcissistic, and don't tell me she couldn't help it, other famous people have been able to control it.

I'm glad that marriage ended...nothing to appreciate from Diana (except those two kids...i think, the future will determine how they will do, and is not looking good from William and the one he married. Charles made the right decision to agree to a divorce, it's good to see him actually smile (not the fake one) nowadays. 

Really you are totally misinformed regarding your Idol. Diana made his life miserable? well I guess you could say she did by loving him and expecting him to be faithful. Diana overshadowed him well she did because one would rather see a beautiful woman in beautiful clothes then a man in a suit with a glum look on his face because people were excited to see his bride and new Princess. If HM couldn't stop the press when she appealed four months after the marriage to leave Diana alone as it was stressing do you really think They would have listen to Diana and stopped it you IMO are living in a dream world. Charles agreed to the divorce again your idol was ordered to divorce by his mother . 

Now lets take a good look at your idol from the other side. Charles made Diana totally miserable starting on their honeymoon by letting Camilla's picture fall out of his diary and wearing cufflinks she gave him. Charles married and of course any wife would have overshadowed him as a novelty a Princess of Wales after 70 years and instead of being proud and working as a team Charles acted like a spoiled child. The fact that Charles refused to give up Camilla in any sense feeling entitled as POW to having a mistress would you have put up with that?

TLLK

Quote from: Sheridan on August 04, 2014, 03:00:42 PM

Two people who really should not have married. If Diana was alive, I would hope that she would have found a good man to love after her divorce. Would have liked to see her remarry if that was her wish.

Curryong

I too would have liked to see Diana happily married had she lived. However, as far as overshadowing Charles was concerned I think she did try in the beginning but I don't really know how you can repress charisma. A person's either got it or they haven't, as we see whenever William and Harry make an appearance together. When you add that the media would much rather write and photograph a beautiful young woman in stunning outfits than a man in a suit, however worthy he is, then you can see Charles was on the back foot from the beginning.

cate1949

^ yes Curryong - any man is at a disadvantage to a beautiful woman.

I also wonder if Diana had continued to have her natural mousy blonde hair color and had continued to wear the matronly outfits the Queen's dressers put her in at first - would she have become such an icon?   Yes Diana did a lot of amazing things in terms of opening up acceptance of HIV and creating awareness about some issues.   But Diana's  popularity existed before she did any of those things - she was the star immediately after her marriage.  Whitaker wrote and spoke about how good she was at playing the press but they loved her anyway.  Certainly some of Diana's icon status was a result of being photogenic, the blonde hair, the charming look she would give people - that sort of head down doe eyed look, great clothes and jewels and major manipulation of the press.  And the press certainly collaborated in spreading the cult they financially benefitted from it.   There were lots of reports at the time that Di and Charles became over time very competitive with each other.

If you read the DM nowadays you would think Kate was the most glamorous most amazing most charismatic person on the planet and we for sure know that is not remotely true.  It is manufactured and to some extent manufactured by the media so they can make money.