Diana would have seen Meghan Markle as a 'step forward' for the monarchy

Started by Kritter, January 16, 2018, 09:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Larry King says Princess Diana would have seen Meghan Markle as a 'step forward' for the monarchy | Fox News

QuoteIn the special, King, who has interviewed both Markle and Princess Diana, explains the women are similar despite their different upbringings.

?Princess Diana would have loved this. She wanted the monarchy to become every day and having an interracial marriage in the monarchy in London is a great step forward,? King says.

The GSN documentary will chronicle Markle?s journey from her childhood, to ?Deal or No Deal? suitcase model to TV show actress and now, Prince Harry?s royal bride.

?All of Meghan?s pre-work? all of that preparation lends her well to the monarchy,? King explains. ?Used to public attention, used to being in television, used to awareness ? used to be a public person.?

Duch_Luver_4ever

To use your words on another poster's similar type post...."How could anyone know how Diana would feel about anything that has happened since her death?   :wacko: "
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

FanDianaFancy

There is no doubt PD would have n
Been supportive of her sons and their wonderful choices in wives. There is no doubt that PD would have loved loved being a grandmother to those two kids and excited about the 3 rd baby for WnK . There is no doubt she would have been happy with her boys doing their BRF duties.

But hey, what do I know or what you know. W and H said so and she was only their mother. JSamuels said so and she was only a true friend who has sold PD out and is a godmother to PH. I?ll take their word for it.

Kritter

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 17, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
To use your words on another poster's similar type post...."How could anyone know how Diana would feel about anything that has happened since her death?   :wacko: "

Out of context if you like but if it had been something Diana had seen or done in her lifetime then we would have a good idea how she would react or think because of precedence. Since we had never seen her with Sons who had girlfriends or wives we could not possibly know what she would think or how she would react.

Is it a Canadian thing or a personal thing where you & your woman try to pick a fight on everything?

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 17, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
I'm curious about  Larry King's relationship with the late Princess of Wales. Does anyone know if they were long term close friends much like Julia Samuel and Diana were? @sandy, @Curryong, @Duch_Luver_4ever and @Trudie would any of you know about a close friendship between the two or was this merely an acquaintance? I am aware that he's written a book about her from the compiled memories that people had about her, but did they ever meet?

royalanthropologist

Another person telling us what a dead person would be like. And they speak with an authority that is baffling, almost as if they were bosom friends with any of the people being spoken about. Diana never met Kate and Meghan. Nobody knows whether she would have liked or hated them or even whether the feelings would be mutual.

For example, some could also easily argue that given Diana's historical possessiveness about her children; there would be issues with the mothers-in-law. If she attempted "best grandmother in the world" thing; she might have gotten a frosty response from the new additions to the family.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Trudie

^Diana like any mother was possessive of her children however, Not to speak for Diana I believe she would love and welcome her son's choices in a wife since her priority was to see them Happy. Diana spoke of this in Bashir telling her son's that love was something to nurture and hang on to. Diana taught her son's how to treat a woman no baggage with a mistress or two looking on at their weddings.

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 17, 2018, 10:07:35 PM
Another person telling us what a dead person would be like. And they speak with an authority that is baffling, almost as if they were bosom friends with any of the people being spoken about. Diana never met Kate and Meghan. Nobody knows whether she would have liked or hated them or even whether the feelings would be mutual.

For example, some could also easily argue that given Diana's historical possessiveness about her children; there would be issues with the mothers-in-law. If she attempted "best grandmother in the world" thing; she might have gotten a frosty response from the new additions to the family.

Oh here it comes. The possessive mother in law from Hell that Charles people love to paint Diana as. It is so cliche now. Diana was a great mother and it is funny how you can disagree with the two people involved: William and Harry who adored their mother.

There would be no issues. Diana would be a wonderful grandmother. And she would have wanted to see her sons happy and settled down.

You say how can people say this with authority then you go and trash Diana projecting your own negativity about her/

Kritter

Diana started at a very young age showing that she had a real caring for children so I agree she would have been a fantastic Grandmother.

Reading old threads & articles I came across one where someone had advised Charles to show a Grandfatherly love for children. In one photo of him going under a cover to chase the children he came off looking like a lecherous old man.   :overhere:

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 17, 2018, 09:47:22 PM
I'm curious about  Larry King's relationship with the late Princess of Wales. Does anyone know if they were long term close friends much like Julia Samuel and Diana were? @sandy, @Curryong, @Duch_Luver_4ever and @Trudie would any of you know about a close friendship between the two or was this merely an acquaintance? I am aware that he's written a book about her from the compiled memories that people had about her, but did they ever meet?

I'm late to the party on this one. Sorry, TLLK! Too much sailing, swimming, enjoying the Aussie summer. That's my excuse for not being on the forum as much lately!

However, back to Larry King. I have never read anywhere or heard that Larry was a close friend of Diana's. Nor do I believe he was, and the reason I say that was Larry King's attitude to the world mourning Diana. I distinctly remember a show he did just after her death in which he expressed amazement and puzzlement at the fact that this woman was being so widely mourned. His questions to a British Royal correspondent on that show just weren't those of someone who knew Diana well at all, just  of a journalist who was intrigued by the reaction to her passing. He probably met her a couple of times but the idea of the book was probably a money making one, IMO.

sandy

Larry King had Joan Rivers on the show who regularly bashed Diana. He also had a journalist on that said Diana was better off dead since she would have been self destructive. Viewers called in and complained. Whether he just wanted to stir things up or he disliked Diana is subject to speculation.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 18, 2018, 01:36:32 AM
I'm late to the party on this one. Sorry, TLLK! Too much sailing, swimming, enjoying the Aussie summer. That's my excuse for not being on the forum as much lately!

However, back to Larry King. I have never read anywhere or heard that Larry was a close friend of Diana's. Nor do I believe he was, and the reason I say that was Larry King's attitude to the world mourning Diana. I distinctly remember a show he did just after her death in which he expressed amazement and puzzlement at the fact that this woman was being so widely mourned. His questions to a British Royal correspondent on that show just weren't those of someone who knew Diana well at all, just  of a journalist who was intrigued by the reaction to her passing. He probably met her a couple of times but the idea of the book was probably a money making one, IMO.
Thank you @Curryong and enjoy your Australian summer while you can!!!

FanDianaFancy

AGAIN, I. nor anyone here knew PD.
Her sons said.....
JSamueks , who never sold her out, who knew her....who is a godmother to PH said...

Can you dispute them? Really? Dispute her sons?
I cannot pull up PWs words on my tablet, but someone pull up the link which he spoke of her and his kids.
Both boys included their mother in rings to their beloved. W included some songs or prayers she liked. PH probably will too.
They wish she could be there, of course , she cannot be.

Both young men have gone on and lived their lives , but yes, they reflect, think, reminese about her.
Why is that so strange?
Does anyone here have any close loved ones they loss and of course, you have lived on, but you think, wonder, laugh about....

Soooo, some of you, if you loss a grandparent you never knew, how can you say they would have been very happy with you..etc?
  Lol.
Well, if we and PW and PH, her sons,  and JSamuels, her close friend, said she would have been  happy with them, their lives , then your deceased relatives you never knew would have been , no doubt, happy to see and love 💕 you.

People, some of you, please stop . It is not healthy.

Just like when PW married, good discussion, where would she have sat.  She, THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM, would have sat with PC, the father of the groom.

Her divorced parents sat together.
C, APB, PC, D, her husband or boyfriend would have been all very proper, polite. Civil.
Really, she would have sat where PW wanted her and for PH, same thing.

Really , no names mentioned, but it is unhealthy to have such ill feelings towards a long dead woman.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on January 18, 2018, 03:40:43 AM

Really , no names mentioned, but it is unhealthy to have such ill feelings towards a long dead woman.

Perhaps you are right. But it is no different from  having "such ill-feelings" to people who one has never met, will never meet and have never done anything bad to them.  Also perhaps similar to the fantastic canonization of an imperfect person that died over 20 years ago?
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Nobody has canonized Diana. But day after day there are posts here that wish ill on Diana, saying had she lived it would be "impossible" for her to find a lasting relationship, only wanted to be Princess and clung to the title, and how much better the "other woman" is. And so on. It is one thing "canonizing" but another to totally demonize her and make Charles a living Saint.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: sandy on January 18, 2018, 12:20:01 PM
Nobody has canonized Diana. But day after day there are posts here that wish ill on Diana, saying had she lived it would be "impossible" for her to find a lasting relationship, only wanted to be Princess and clung to the title, and how much better the "other woman" is. And so on. It is one thing "canonizing" but another to totally demonize her and make Charles a living Saint.

I really don't get this preoccupation with what a poster should believe and say. If someone wants to critique Diana; it is entirely their right. Being dead does not make one immune to negative reviews of their lives. More so, when there is an army of supporters that are trying to constantly remind us of her "perfect victimhood".

This article we are talking about is a perfect example. Someone wants to tell us what Diana would have thought and her presumed musings on the monarchy's future. That I consider to be mush and I challenge sentimental mush whenever I see it.

Critiquing mush about someone is not wishing them ill or even "demonizing them". In any case, Diana is much dead. Anybody that is wishing her ill is wasting their time. Where she is, wishes no longer matter (good or bad). My argument is that Camilla is a far better wife and companion to Charles than Diana could ever be. That means his decision to leave Diana has logic at the very least.

If C&C are the unforgivable and unforgiven; then you should fully expect that people like me will also highlight Diana's flaws. After all, some people are stuck in the 1980s and 1990s. Some people more than happy to take them on in any decade of their choosing.

sandy

Yes of course it is their right just as it is my right to disagree.  I see some of this as ultra harsh criticism of Diana even claiming things like she "clung" to the title. As I said before it was the terms of divorce for both Fergie and Diana that they keep their titles without the HRH. So do you apply the same rules to Fergie and do you think she is "clinging" to that title? Just curious.

But then you think the worst about Diana saying the classic spin that she would have been the mother and mother in law from hell and "hogged" time with the grandchildren.

Camilla is not a "better" anything. She is grasping IMO and schemed to get what she wanted even playing "mentor" to Lady Diana. Some believe it or not do not like her and don't want her as Queen.

But you said a few times had she lived she would have been a flop and "forgotten" and the royals "exile her" and nobody would ever love her. That is wishing her ill is it not?

You can expect me to highlight C and C's flaws and they have them. So if the other side is stuck in the past how come you criticize Diana who died 20 years ago? Again, just curious.

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 18, 2018, 09:35:43 AM
Perhaps you are right. But it is no different from  having "such ill-feelings" to people who one has never met, will never meet and have never done anything bad to them.  Also perhaps similar to the fantastic canonization of an imperfect person that died over 20 years ago?

Again, PD was not a saint. Anyone here , fans of hers, cannot dispute and have not disputed the woman herself said about herself in Bashir interview. I think she knew herself and her marriage better than any of us here. No one here on this site has canonized her.

Again, I think her sons and closest friends , family knew her better. I do not why, but you know, I think PW knew her well. I do not know why he knew her, lol.
Oh geese.

Folks...pleases. We have to stop this.

Trudie

Again this is not about Charles and Camilla the perfect couple. This is about Harry and Meghan. Harry brought up his mother in the engagement interview saying Meghan and Diana would be thick as thieves. Now Harry is Diana's son and as such knew her better than anyone besides William as a mother. I said earlier in my post No one is speaking for Diana as Diana had already spoken for herself regarding William, Harry and relationships. Diana wanted to see William and Harry Happy and loved in this regard Diana would have been happy and thrilled at their choices and yes Meghan is a step forward in the regard she is the first American Bride to be accepted by the RF unlike Wallis Simpson who was not. But Diana seeing Meghan as a step forward is open to speculation but there are many similar qualities with regard to both women being activists.

FanDianaFancy

Quote from: Trudie on January 19, 2018, 02:56:08 PM
Again this is not about Charles and Camilla the perfect couple. This is about Harry and Meghan. Harry brought up his mother in the engagement interview saying Meghan and Diana would be thick as thieves. Now Harry is Diana's son and as such knew her better than anyone besides William as a mother. I said earlier in my post No one is speaking for Diana as Diana had already spoken for herself regarding William, Harry and relationships. Diana wanted to see William and Harry Happy and loved in this regard Diana would have been happy and thrilled at their choices and yes Meghan is a step forward in the regard she is the first American Bride to be accepted by the RF unlike Wallis Simpson who was not. But Diana seeing Meghan as a step forward is open to speculation but there are many similar qualities with regard to both women being activists.

HOW DARE HARRY BRING UP THAT WOMAN ,DIANA!  Why the continuos talk from him and PW about a woman who has been deD for over 20 years. OMG. They have spent more of their life without her. How dare he he say such nice things about her. You know, he really did not know her. He and PW should ding the praisisrs, Halileuia, of Camilla who has been a.ive around them. Perhaps , as a nice 👍 gesture, W and K should name the new baby girl, Camilla, the name of a Queen.

( To all here, you know I and joking. Just trying to be silly etc. just trying a different way to make a point. Same ole same 😐 nonsense from some us, right for them yes, to have an opinion, but come on. Really?)

Trudie

LMAO Fan I got the joke at the first three words. Thank you for lightening the mood

royalanthropologist

Is Meghan a "step forward" for the BRF? It all depends on what she does and how she is received. On the other hand that mere statement implies that there has been something wrong which needs to be changed. That may not necessarily be true. An institution that has found a way to survive for 1000 years has lessons for everyone including those who think that change is always good.

What I find interesting is the egg on the faces of those that wanted to suggest that the BRF was so racist that they would want to commit murder in order to keep out non-white associations. Clearly that is not true. Meghan has so far been well-received (with the notable exception of Princess Michael and her notorious broach).

sandy

Princess Michael apologized. It could have been just plain old stupidity on her part.

TLLK

QuoteWhat I find interesting is the egg on the faces of those that wanted to suggest that the BRF was so racist that they would want to commit murder in order to keep out non-white associations. Clearly that is not true. Meghan has so far been well-received

Yes @Trudie it is wonderful to see that the BRF have welcomed their newest member so warmly.  :)