Prince William To Take To the Skies Again - Part 2

Started by SophieChloe, August 11, 2014, 10:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Adams

[mod] Folks, gentle reminder that Harry has his own thread. Let's keep it to the Cambridges here. :flower: [/mod]
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

HistoryGirl

Idk what Prince Harry does in the office since I don't work there, but his consistency in aiding veterans and actual involvement other than a gala or hour long photo op leads me to think he has true commitment to the plight of veterans. The news about Princess Anne wanting to go to Africa regardless of the Ebola outbreak. That's what I see missing from William, just does not look like he goes the extra step. Of course, I know what's coming next...he's a prince, future king and must remain cool and dignified which is and has always been a good enough excuse.

In All I Do

Quote from: Canuck on August 15, 2014, 02:01:55 PM
Whereas I find it far less believable that Will skipped all but a few days of a ten week class and there wasn't a single leak of that from professors, other students in his lectures, administrators at the university, staff at KP, people wherever he was spending the time that he wasn't in Cambridge, etc. 

Different opinions, etc.  Though I do find it curious that a few weeks ago people were saying that the evidence Will didn't attend was that the press had never mentioned him completing the course, and now that the press HAS mentioned him completing the course, that's somehow still evidence he didn't.  It's almost as though nothing would satisfy some people...  :shrug:

I don't personally understand the following calculus:

William being spotted 3 times == never attending course
Kate being spotted 2 times in 2014 == constantly leaving George to go shopping

But whatever works for people. That's the beauty of our independent ability to determine what we believe for ourselves.

KaTerina Montague

I wonder how many things can be denied just because there are no photographs. Did Kate realy give birth to George? There are no photos of it. Does the Queen really meet with the PM, are there any photos? Did Harry and William ever attend Eton classes or did they just sleep in their rooms all day and were handed a degree? Were there pictures of them walking into classrooms everyday? Was President Obama really born in Hawaii? There are no photos. Was JFK really assassinated? There is no pho.........oh wait a minute.

In All I Do

On an entertaining note, and to the point about pay scales we discussed a while back, the helicopter pilot who flies the RF around will apparently make almost twice as much as William.

Queen advertises for new helicopter pilot

QuoteThe advertisement specifies for £75,000 a year 'plus benefits', the successful applicant can look forward to flying one of the two privately operated helicopters within the royal flight, the long-standing Sikorsky S76 which has been used by the Royal Family since 2009 and also the newly-acquired Agusta Westland 109S which was added to the flight a few months ago.

Lady Adams

^^ I assume this new pilot will have to contend with two requirements Will does not:
1. The pilot will need to have security training, in case of terrorism
2. His/her schedule will not be on a specific rote, but rather revolve around the Royal Family, as it should be.
There is also class of license to consider.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

In All I Do

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 13, 2014, 02:32:54 AM
^^ I assume this new pilot will have to contend with two requirements Will does not:
1. The pilot will need to have security training, in case of terrorism
2. His/her schedule will not be on a specific rote, but rather revolve around the Royal Family, as it should be.
There is also class of license to consider.

Not so sure about number two, actually, since the pilot will be part of "a small team" WCN ATS

As for licenses, you're right, they are different licenses.. the royal helicopter pilot needs a Commercial Pilot License (CPL[H]). William will need a Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL[H]), for which he'll first need to have the CPL[H] licence.

wannable

According, he already started, theoretical study.

Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) tweeted at 1:39pm - 15 Sep 14:

@_peppersmint_ he's already started his commercial chopper training (theory at mo) and I predict it'll def be Wills not Kate going to Malta (Emily Andrews on Twitter: "@_peppersmint_ he's already started his commercial chopper training (theory at mo) and I predict it'll def be Wills)

wannable

A tidbit quote from William at the youth center in Malta today.

Quote.Talking with Desira about school, William said, "I've got to do 14 exams by Christmas," referring to his upcoming helicopter studies for his air ambulance job.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20395222_20855208,00.html

And tweeted by the specific around Aug 09, what studies entail.
EMS Flight Crew (@emsflightcrew) tweeted at 3:50pm - 9 Aug 14:

5 months of specific air ambulance training, 14 exams and 1 flight check before reporting to duty. How do these... fb.me/6WWc9JDnk (EMS Flight Crew on Twitter: "5 months of specific air ambulance training, 14 exams and 1 flight check before reporting to duty. How do these...)

TLLK

Sounds like he'll be spending most of the time on the ground for now prepping for written and practical exams.

sandy

He can't have this as a lifetime career. Better for him to prep at being a future King. He had a yen to fly and doors were kicked open for him. I think he needs to stop the playing at being normal and get on with his royal life.

TLLK

That is true but until HM, the DoE and PoW feel the need to bring the grandchildren on board full time, they will have other ways to serve the nation.  :)

sandy

I think William is calling the shots. I think the Queen refurbished KP in the hope he'd step up and do full time duties.  Will is not serving the nation IMO he's serving himself and now he has a yen to be a copter pilot so voila he becomes one.

TLLK

^^^We'll have to agree to disagree. When I think of the "Firm" I believe it is being run by its top members of the board and not the junior partners. If others believe that the younger members call the shots then that's fine with me. :truce: Everyone is entitled to their opinions and those thoughts should be respected.

Limabeany

William does as he pleases so it is run by the top but with a very hands off attitude towards William...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

William is not a junior partner he's two heartbeats away from being monarch.

The Queen avoids unpleasantness and if her stubborn grandson puts his foot down about not doing full time duties and being normal she is not going to thwart him. It's only when it's an emergency situation practically that she takes action. It's an old pattern. Yes, it is believable that WIlliam is calling the shots. I don't think the Queen would prefer her grandson playing pilot and not helping out.

TLLK

^^^He's closer in the line of succession, but that does not mean he is considered a senior royal.(That would mean that George would be considered a senior royal as well.)Based upon what HM's children/grandchildren have personally stated, she does "call the shots." HM and the DoE would only bring their children into the fold of royal duties when they'd reached their majority and completed their education. Then they would consider what was needed at the time in terms of who was a full time royal who would be performing royal duties as a "career." Charles and Anne began that work in the late 1960's/early1970's and their younger siblings came on board at an even later age/stage. It's only been in the past decade  (give or take) that William was included as a member  Counselor of State, Way Ahead group etc..

Limabeany

Of course he is considered a senior royal, in addition to being the heir to the heir of the throne. There is no doubt about that.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lady Adams

I have to agree with @Limabeany . During the Queen's Jubilee, she certainly sent a signal with who she considers to be senior royals with the streamlined family members present for the flypast (photo here).

And if junior royals get a refurbished palace, I think Bea and Eugenie are somewhere sulking.  :blush:

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on September 23, 2014, 03:14:52 PM
^^^He's closer in the line of succession, but that does not mean he is considered a senior royal.(That would mean that George would be considered a senior royal as well.)Based upon what HM's children/grandchildren have personally stated, she does "call the shots." HM and the DoE would only bring their children into the fold of royal duties when they'd reached their majority and completed their education. Then they would consider what was needed at the time in terms of who was a full time royal who would be performing royal duties as a "career." Charles and Anne began that work in the late 1960's/early1970's and their younger siblings came on board at an even later age/stage. It's only been in the past decade  (give or take) that William was included as a member  Counselor of State, Way Ahead group etc..

George is a baby but is directly in line for the throne. He can't do much now but as he grows up he will do royal duties and yes, be a senior royal.

William is a grownup now and has a senior citizen dad and an elderly grandmother. He could be King a lot sooner than he thinks. Nobody knows when.

Double post auto-merged: September 24, 2014, 12:10:58 AM

Quote from: TLLK on September 22, 2014, 09:31:57 PM
That is true but until HM, the DoE and PoW feel the need to bring the grandchildren on board full time, they will have other ways to serve the nation.  :)

If William decided he did not want to play "normal" I very much doubt the Queen would forbid him to work full time. I think she had KP refurbished thinking he'd get on with it and step up to full time royal duties. As I said I think this is Will serving himself rather than the nation. He's doing as he pleases.

TLLK

^^^Those that he transports to the hospital might disagree with you along with the charities that will receive his salary.  :) HM will let her grandchildren know when they need to take on full time royal duties. Her children have offered to take on more of her tasks and she's agreed to their help. Her grandchildren have made the same offer and they've been rebuffed.  :)

TLLK

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 24, 2014, 12:01:58 AM
I have to agree with @Limabeany . During the Queen's Jubilee, she certainly sent a signal with who she considers to be senior royals with the streamlined family members present for the flypast (photo here).

And if junior royals get a refurbished palace, I think Bea and Eugenie are somewhere sulking.  :blush:
I disagree. IMO the Jubilee balcony appearance  showcased the next generation to take the throne. In reality I believe she considers her spouse, sons, daughter and cousins to be the senior royals that she would turn to get their opinions and input on how the monarchy is doing and how it can be improved. I believe in time that as the older royals no longer take on those duties or are not available that she'll incorporate the grandchildren.

As for those homes that were made available, Harry has Nott Cottage with Beatrice and Eugenie at Royal Lodge Windsor when they are in the UK. The sisters also have palace apartments available for their use in London. When the three of them marry and begin a family then I do believe that they might receive a home from granny much like their parents, aunt and uncles.

Limabeany

William is a senior royal, if nothing else, by virtue of his position.

cate1949

Bea and Eugenie have been granted or so I read someplace in The Guardian I think lifetime use of Windsor Royal Lodge which PA has now.  They also have apartments at St James - or at least Bea does but Bea said it was a small walk up nothing glamorous certainly not  from what she said a family apartment.

The Phillips - Zara et al have not gotten homes from the Queen - I do not then expect any homes other than the use of Windsor Lodge for Bea and Eugenie.

The Queen's cousins did not get homes from their parents - just the estates that they owned which by and large they do not have now since they can not afford them.  These cousins are sons of a monarch yet here we are - they live at  KP largely because they are not flush with money - once they had to pay rent for their KP apartments or other living arrangements - country homes/estates got sold.  This is then the future for Bea Eugenie Edward's kids unless their parents make other arrangements or they start careers that earn well for them or marry well.

The Vanderbilts and Rockefellers in the US are two examples of different approaches to family wealth preservation (and the RF also needs and practices wealth preservation).  The Vanderbilts were insanely wealthy - one of the Vanderbilt females old country estate is near my home - it is now a University.  All of the Vanderbilt homes now either are country clubs, museums or gone.  The family trust fund gave every descendant a share including the females and their children.  As each generation arrived the size of the family kept getting larger til the share each person received became a negligible amount and so the Vanderbilts are not rich anymore.

The Rockefellers took another route - the family trust excludes the females and their descendants.  Only males participate in the trust which keeps the numbers of people taking money to a manageable size.  Hence the Rockefellers are still wealthy but even then I read they have dwindling amounts.

The RF is more like the Rockefellers.  And understandably so - if you wish to preserve wealth you must keep the numbers of people you support down.  The monarchy has an additional pressure in that they also have to keep the numbers down to please the public. 

Lady Adams

Quote from: TLLK on September 24, 2014, 12:17:04 AM
Quote from: Lady Adams on September 24, 2014, 12:01:58 AM

I disagree. IMO the Jubilee balcony appearance  showcased the next generation to take the throne. In reality I believe she considers her spouse, sons, daughter and cousins to be the senior royals that she would turn to get their opinions and input on how the monarchy is doing and how it can be improved. I believe in time that as the older royals no longer take on those duties or are not available that she'll incorporate the grandchildren.

As for those homes that were made available, Harry has Nott Cottage with Beatrice and Eugenie at Royal Lodge Windsor when they are in the UK. The sisters also have palace apartments available for their use in London. When the three of them marry and begin a family then I do believe that they might receive a home from granny much like their parents, aunt and uncles.
Each of those homes are their families-- and I believe Andrew pays rent on the girls' apartment in London.

I really find it odd you don't consider William a senior royal. He's a future king, and the only reason he is not working for the Firm full-time is because he chooses not to.