Alice of Battenberg

Started by snokitty, March 01, 2015, 12:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Birthday Jewels: Alice of Battenberg | The Court Jeweller
February 25 is the birthday of one of the most interesting princesses to have lived in the twentieth century: Alice of Battenberg, the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, the niece of Empress Alexandra and Grand Duchess Ella of Russia, the wife of Prince Andrew of Greece, the mother of the Duke of Edinburgh, the sister of Queen Louise of Sweden and Lord Louis Mountbatten, the mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II, and the grandmother of the Prince of Wales (among many others).

Alice's life was dramatic, glamorous, tragic, tumultuous, and even heroic, and in between all of that, she managed to wear some interesting jewelry, too. To celebrate her birthday, here are some of my favorite photographs of the bejeweled princess.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

Fitting that Alice's Greek Meander tiara has been given to Princess Anne to wear as she does have Alice as one of her names.

Jennifer

Prince Andrew & Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

During the two years that Princess Alice remained incarcerated at Dr. Ludwig Binswanger's sanitorium in Switzerland, her four daughters married German princes without their mother attending any of their weddings. Is it not sad when the mother of the bride is not in attendance?

Curryong

It's been said that the primary reason that Prince Philip's sisters married during this time period (three of them at very young ages) was that there was no home life any more.

Princess Alice, because of her medical condition, was in the grip of religious ecstacy and exhibiting bizarre behaviour long before she was committed to the institution, Prince Andrew had not had a married life with Alice for some time and was straining at the leash to get away with his mistress (he eventually settled in the South of France) and there had been tensions between husband and wife for several years. Philip and his sisters stayed for long periods of time with different relatives, especially after their mother became ill. Alice was also away a lot.

In Royal circles marrying young was usual and I would guess that all four of them saw marriage as an opportunity to be settled, have a home of their own and eventually babies.