The Duchess of Kent – living life in the shadows

Started by snokitty, January 27, 2015, 11:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

The Duchess of Kent ? living life in the shadows

QuoteKatharine Kent will be an unfamiliar name to many, but in Royal circles she became well-known, causing controversy with her conversion to Catholicism in 1994.

Born Katharine Worsley on February 22nd 1933, her upbringing was that of a 'commoner' in the Yorkshire countryside, albeit growing up amidst the surroundings of a stately home, Hovingham Hall. Her parents, Sir William and Lady Joyce sent their young daughter to St Mary's School near Castle Howard in York (later famous as the backdrop for the 1980's ITV television drama 'Brideshead Revisited') and Runton Hall in Norfolk, where she excelled in Music.

At the age of 23 she met Prince Edward, Duke of Kent whilst he was stationed at the nearby Garrison at Catterick. The Prince had succeeded the Dukedom at the tender age of six following the death of his father, Prince George, in an air-crash in 1942. The couple were to be engaged five years later.

Katharine and Edward's wedding was to break Royal convention by being held in Miss Worsley's native Yorkshire. A far cry from the long-established opulence and grandeur of Westminster Abbey, chosen traditionally by so many other Royal brides. The whole Royal Family decamped up there in 1961, and on 8th June their marriage was witnessed in York Minster, with the Royal Families of Europe in attendance. It was at the Minster as a young girl Katharine had learnt to play the organ.

With Princess Margaret marrying in 1960, the Kent's wedding day had to be postponed for a year, as two Royal weddings in the same year just wasn't the done thing. 633 years earlier York Minster had been the backdrop for another Royal wedding, that of King Edward III to Phillipa of Hainault in 1328.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Lady Adams

I love Katherine Kent. She even worked as a teacher for a decade, incognito.

I didn't realize she got married at York Minster. It's a beautiful cathedral.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Curryong

Quote from: Lady Adams on January 27, 2015, 01:25:06 PM
I love Katherine Kent. She even worked as a teacher for a decade, incognito.

I didn't realize she got married at York Minster. It's a beautiful cathedral.

She was Katherine Worseley bfore she was married, from a very old Yorkshire landowning family with a lot of connections in the area. I agree, it is a beautiful cathedral.

TLLK

She also worked as a volunteer for suicide hotlines. She's IMO an exceptional lady.

cate1949

yes I like her too - very handsome woman also - even in her mature years.

DaFluffs

Chic Vintage Bride - Katharine Worsley, the Duchess of Kent -

I don't know why I remember this but her very beautiful wedding gown had the longest train, 15 feet I believe (until Princess Di's).....