Sarah Ferguson Joins Ex Prince Andrew and Their Daughters for Palace Event

Started by Jennifer, April 27, 2017, 11:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteIt was a family affair for Prince Andrew at the palace Tuesday night, with his daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and ex-wife Sarah Ferguson joining in to support the "family business," as the royal dad told PEOPLE.

Beatrice, 28, and Eugenie, 27, met business leaders, picked up tips and helped greet guests at Pitch@Palace, Prince Andrew's annual event to encourage global entrepreneurs.

"They're involved, as is the duchess," Prince Andrew, 57, told PEOPLE. "She has a number of different things she is helping with. It's a family business – we're getting on with it."

Read more:
Sarah Ferguson, Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice and Prince Andrew Join Forces
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

Admirable as helping business entrepreneurs is, Andrew should realise that he's only got this position and the facilities of BP  because he's the Queen's son, not due to any financial smarts of his. Also, it may be that Sarah helps with networking etc, (and the less said about HER business skills the better) but she is not a member of the Royal family.

In addition, I hope he's not using the links he's built up in business and trade to get Beatrice through the back door in helping with his duties in future. Both Yorkies have been told there's no place for them in the working BRF of the future and it would be good for their father to remember this.

If, however, this is just an underhanded way of Andrew helping his daughter and ex wife (private citizens) with their careers as speakers on entrepreneurship he ought to be ashamed of himself, although, as he has no shame, that's a vain thought.

royalanthropologist

I think that no matter what Sarah Ferguson did, the royal family never for a moment thought that she deliberately tried to destroy the monarchy. The mistakes she made were errors of judgement rather than calculated acts of malice. That is why I think she was far better tolerated by the royal family than Diana was. Besides I understand most members of the royal family had a soft spot for her including the ones that mattered most (Queen and QM). DOE is not a fan but that has not stopped Sarah from being extended little acts of friendship from the royal family.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 27, 2017, 06:38:59 PM
I think that no matter what Sarah Ferguson did, the royal family never for a moment thought that she deliberately tried to destroy the monarchy. The mistakes she made were errors of judgement rather than calculated acts of malice. That is why I think she was far better tolerated by the royal family than Diana was. Besides I understand most members of the royal family had a soft spot for her including the ones that  family.
I'm not sure.  Diana was still formally invited to things like chirstmas At Sandringham or wherever.. Fergie was billeted a farmhouse and not invited to the house.  She was only allowed there because of her daughters.
I think the queen was very fed up with Diana, and found her almost impossible to deal with, but she still was treated better than Fergie.  She was the onne who didn't want to stay for more than an hour or 2. IIRC the queen said to somone that it didn't have to be as strained iwht Diana, that she was the one who pulled back,.
I think the queen DID like Fergie pretty well at first when she was all jolly hockey sticks and enjoying the horsey sporty life.. but as time went on, Sarah's vulgarity and gaffes and over spending got worse..She became unpopular with the public and clearly got fed up with the rules of royal life.  And I think that now the queen has tried to put it in the past as she's getting older and she's a Christian who wants to forgive Sara's follies, but I don't think that S is ever going to be really welcomed back.
I think the scandals of her very public affairs (Diana's were mostly hidden and only rarely became public) infuriated the Royals esp Philip and she will never really be fully accepted...
They may feel that Diana was in some ways more guilty of deliberately attacking the RF at times but all the same Sarah's mistakes of stupidity and ignorance and stupidly getting caught, are not something they can easily forgive and forget.

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 27, 2017, 06:38:59 PM
I think that no matter what Sarah Ferguson did, the royal family never for a moment thought that she deliberately tried to destroy the monarchy. The mistakes she made were errors of judgement rather than calculated acts of malice. That is why I think she was far better tolerated by the royal family than Diana was. Besides I understand most members of the royal family had a soft spot for her including the ones that mattered most (Queen and QM). DOE is not a fan but that has not stopped Sarah from being extended little acts of friendship from the royal family.

Fergie was not "far better tolerated than Diana". Philip and Elizabeth kept her away from royal events and William did not invite Fergie to his wedding.  I don't think it was "nice" to say the least that Fergie got involved with her "financial advisers" and had the embarrassing photos.  I don't think it "harmless". Unless she has no working brain cells, she must have known how this hurt her husband, who, unlike Charles, did not have his friends badmouth his ex wife.  But his loyalty to her did not sway the Queen and Philip. Diana did not try to destroy the monarchy. That is so not true. Charles was the one who badmouthed his parents to his authorized biographer and caused great embarrassment.  There was a brief window of opportunity where the royals liked her but that did not last long. Fergie's spendthrift ways and her affairs did not endear her to the Queen who was naturally angry when the topless photos hit the tabloids (and this while Fergie was there at Balmoral with her husband when the tabloids published the photos) Fergie was told to pack and get out and made a quick exit. That does not speak fondness for Fergie.

TLLK

QuoteThey may feel that Diana was in some ways more guilty of deliberately attacking the RF at times but all the same Sarah's mistakes of stupidity and ignorance and stupidly getting caught, are not something they can easily forgive and forget.
[/quote

IMO after the divorces the Queen and the DoE realized that they could not trust either Diana or Sarah. It was already suspected that Diana had been indiscreet by cooperating with Andrew Morton and members of the press which was later proven to be true. Sarah obviously had displayed the worst possible judgement with her affair with John Bryan. However Sarah's indiscretions were the more vulgar of the two and her presence was not going to be tolerated.

However for the sake of William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie there did need to be some opportunities for their mothers to be present during the holidays and that is why I believe both were invited to spend Christmas at Sandringham. (Even though Sarah had to stay at another property on the estate.)

sandy

The royals did not know  for certain that Diana was complicit in the Morton book until after Diana's death when Morton confessed all. The royals could hardly make angry speeches at the time about it. Sarah ran up a huge debt, did not behave well at appearances, and had affairs with the financial advisers. In another thread, Sarah was quoted praising Charles and Camilla to the skies (on the Larry King Show). Her trying to mend fences did not do her much good because William still did not invite her to his wedding and she is still left out of nearly all royal events.

TLLK

QuoteI think that no matter what Sarah Ferguson did, the royal family never for a moment thought that she deliberately tried to destroy the monarchy. The mistakes she made were errors of judgement rather than calculated acts of malice.

While I agree that they were errors in judgement rather than malicious acts, Sarah has repeatedly embarrassed the BRF, her ex-husband, daughters and others with her actions and words. Her "access to Andrew" scandal might have been the last straw.

sandy

Even on her wedding day, Fergie mugged and made faces walking down the aisle. It was embarrassing to the royals in attendance. 

TLLK

Quote from: TLLK on May 02, 2017, 12:32:11 AM
QuoteI think that no matter what Sarah Ferguson did, the royal family never for a moment thought that she deliberately tried to destroy the monarchy. The mistakes she made were errors of judgement rather than calculated acts of malice.

While I agree that they were errors in judgement rather than malicious acts, Sarah has repeatedly embarrassed the BRF, her ex-husband, daughters and others with her actions and words. Her "access to Andrew" scandal might have been the last straw.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/23/sarah-ferguson-andrew-cash-tabloid

Curryong

Yes, TLLK. The Yorks are remarkably scandal-prone and I don't just mean Sarah! However, this episode was horrific, as is the lingering suspicion that Andrew knew about Sarah's deal and wouldn't have minded a cut, though there is of course no proof of that. The false sheikh was certainly Sarah's worst blunder and unlike Sophie Wessex's mess, pointed to real corruption. The Queen still retains a certain fondness, not unaligned to the fact that Andrew is supposedly her favourite child, but it's well known Philip can't stand her, and Charles isn't too keen either. Sarah's future remains outside the BRF, IMO.

TLLK

I agree @Curryong. I admired Sarah's determination to pay off her debts in the 1990's however when she started down her path of overspending AGAIN, it was obvious she had not learned anything. As to her relationship with her former in-laws, I believe that door has been closed.  Of course we'll see Sarah at her daughters' milestone events: weddings, christenings etc...but other than that I doubt we'd see her at any other future BRF events.

IMO had Sarah been less keen on press coverage for herself and the princesses and remained discreet about her relationships with the BRF that she might have been welcomed into the wider fold for some private family events ie: birthday parties.

royalanthropologist

They say Andrew can be quite snotty and arrogant when it comes to his royal privileges. Have people considered the possibilitiy that Sarah tried but was frustrated by Andrew? He has not married anyone else so maybe they were destined to be together. I would not be entirely surprised if Andrew was somehow involved in the access scandal. He has shown himself to be quite in tune with his royal status and privileges. A kind of "do you know who I am" attitude.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Andrew was not the one with lovers.  If she were frustrated she should have considered two words: "marriage counseling."

royalanthropologist

I admit I do have a soft spot for Sarah. She is a good girl gone bad but I never sensed that she was malicious or wanted to harm her in-laws. Most of the things she has done are due to human weaknesses: greed, lust and naivety. I still think that royal family (apart from DOE and Charles) are happy to forgive her. 

Yes, some of her actions harmed the monarchy but she never deliberately set out to harm the institutions or members of the royal family. Later on she tried to apologize to the queen, rather charming and disarming in my view given the fact that the tabloids were having a field day with her.  Anyone that can maintain a civilized relationship with her ex and children has the thumbs-up in my book. It makes a welcome change from the histronic divorces that have become the bane of our society today.

TLLK

^^^@royalapologist-Don't we all have a soft spot for one royal or another? Mine is Infanta Elena. :)

I agree that Sarah is not malicious but with her history I believe that we'll see a grace period of more discreet behavior from Sarah and then another embarrassing blunder tied into her financial state. It seems to be a well established pattern of behavior for her.

As for Sarah and Andrew's relationship, I do believe that they genuinely loved each other and had a strong friendship as a base. However, his naval career and royal duties kept them largely apart for much of their married life. I believe that if he had not been absent that their marriage would have survived. Sarah must have been very lonely and that led her to seek companionship with people who were more interested in her royal connections.

royalanthropologist

sandy

Quote from: royalanthropologist on May 02, 2017, 01:51:05 PM
I admit I do have a soft spot for Sarah. She is a good girl gone bad but I never sensed that she was malicious or wanted to harm her in-laws. Most of the things she has done are due to human weaknesses: greed, lust and naivety. I still think that royal family (apart from DOE and Charles) are happy to forgive her. 

Yes, some of her actions harmed the monarchy but she never deliberately set out to harm the institutions or members of the royal family. Later on she tried to apologize to the queen, rather charming and disarming in my view given the fact that the tabloids were having a field day with her.  Anyone that can maintain a civilized relationship with her ex and children has the thumbs-up in my book. It makes a welcome change from the histronic divorces that have become the bane of our society today.

I think the Queen lost any fondness for Sarah ages ago. I think she's polite and cordial but I don't think there's any love lost.

I think Andrew was very good to Sarah since the divorce and never badmouthed her nor had his associates or family do so.

amabel

No I don't think that the queen or any of them will totally forgive her.  even if  her blunders are the result of a stupid childish selfishness rather than malice, there have been a lot of them and I think that while the queen has offered a certain friendship, its limited. She's a good woman and a Chirstian and she is not going to bear hatred against Fergie and there is something likable about the woman but all the same she just never learns, is selfish, silly and scandal prone.  the rest of them problaby think the same way.. that she seemed a breath of fresh air but turned out to be a disaster and in essence she's never going to be more than tolerated.
so no, I don't think that "most of them would be willing to forgive her except for Charles and PHilip."
And while Andrew is no angel I think he tolerated a lot of silly behaviour from Sarah and DID remain loyal to her (still does) but he wouldn't go on with the marriage once the public infidelities were noted.
I don't think he's a saint with regard to money, but I think that he was less guilty than her and that some of his dablbling in dogdgy financial stuff is to do with Sarah's never failing need for money. 

Valentina18

I think in the future Fergie and Andrew will remarry.They have never really had any other long term relationship and she still attends royal engagements with him.Their children are grown yet they continue to stay together and buy a chalet in Switzerland.Yes, Fergie did a lot of crazy things but hopefully she has learned from her mistakes.I have always liked her because she just gets on with it despite the press being so nasty to her and her daughters.

royalanthropologist

I actually think you are right @Valentina18. If there is any divorced couple that should not have divorced, it is them. Don't know whether Sarah has learnt from her mistakes but it is a pipe dream of mine that the Duchess will one day get her man again.

By the way I absolutely love the photo of Prince Harry on your avatar :goodpost:

Curryong

Why? So she can mess up again in some way, and she will, it's been a pattern with Sarah all her adult life. So she can embarrass the royal family once again, throw mud all over their image, skirt so near to corrupt activities that (believe it or not) it was only the pulling back by British newspapers at the time that IMO prevented a full scale investigation into her and her ex's activities.

So Sarah can flog cheap drink juicers and hair straighteners on US TV again, who is so loathed in Britain people beg her to stay in Switzerland? So Sarah can once more have other boyfriends behind her husband's back when she's remarried, and cavort with them in public as she did before?

Diana had more dignity in her little finger than Sarah's had in her entire body, ever. It's funny how an absolute disgrace of a person, who has messed up her life again and again gets a pass from some, while a woman who was troubled, sometimes didn't do the right thing but did an enormous amount of good in the world is under constant attack.

Yes, I hope she and Andrew do remarry. In Charles's reign, so that Andrew gets pensioned off from royal duties and he and his wife can then crawl away under the nearest rock and be never seen or heard of again, ever. That's my dream and fervent hope.

royalanthropologist

For all her mistakes, I have never thought that Sarah was malicious on any level. That is why I think she gets so many chances. People know that she has made mistakes but those mistakes are errors of judgment. She is not out to hurt anybody and is quite candid about what a mess she has been. I also like Sarah and defend her because I think the press were brutal to her. She was their target and someone has got to stand up for the underdog. I am willing to volunteer for her.

Curryong

You can do just as much mischief by blundering into situations without forethought, for instance in a desperate search for money after you've spent all your income, without being downright malicious. What's the old saying 'The road to Hell is paved with good intentions'. In my view Sarah personifies that. And this vulgar and venal woman has done harm to the image of the monarchy.

royalanthropologist

That may be true. Indeed it is possible to do lots of damage even when you have good intentions but people can be forgiving if they think your heart was in the right place. It seems to me that Sarah is not quite ostracized by the royal family despite her mistakes. She still makes it to some events and has even been mentioned in the court circular. For someone who got it spectacularly wrong, she has a remarkable ability to be forgiven. I think it is all to do with her motives.