Royal Yacht Britannia

Started by Wombat, September 26, 2006, 11:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

King George VI realised that the royal yacht The Victoria and Albert III was in a terrible state of disrepair. Its age and lack of modern equipment meant that it was fast becoming obsolete, unable to meet the demands of the King and its crew. King George VI planned for a new yacht that would not only meet the requirements of the Royal Family but also be easily converted into a floating hospital in times of war.

Many issues conspired against the King's plans and it wasn't until after the Second World War that a company was finally commissioned to build the new royal yacht.

In 1952, John Brown and Company in Clydebank, Scotland, were chosen to build the 83rd Royal Yacht. However King George VI died before any building commenced.

Queen Elizabeth wanted to honour her father and was determined to push ahead with the construction of the new yacht, despite the project having it's detractors. It was through the hard work and endless hours of planning by Prince Philip, a former naval officer, that the Royal Yacht Britannia became synonymous with functionality and practicality. It was his in depth knowledge of the sea and naval requirements that led to a more "toned down" interior for the yacht, which was planned to have a more luxurious and elaborate feel.

Britannia had three main boxes to tick. Firstly it was to be a home away from home for members of the British Royal Family. Secondly, it had to be a floating palace of sorts. Thirdly, it was required to be a naval ship.

The functional areas of the ship were sensibly the areas frequented by the crew. The Engine Room, crew quarters and galley were what you would expect to see with a modern naval ship.  The royal family was housed in more comfortable surroundings, with the State Apartments, Drawing Room, The Sun Lounge and State Dining Room what you would expect to see in one of Her Majesty's country retreats.

Queen Elizabeth launched The Britannia in April 1953 with much speculation over the name of the new yacht being put to rest. Her Majesty pronounced 'I name this ship BRITANNIA, I wish success to her and to all who sail in her.'   The Queen showed her keenness to bring her fathers dream to fruition by mentioning his plans for the new yacht. She said 'I am sure that all of you who are present here realise how much the building of this ship meant to the late King, my father. For he felt most strongly, as I do, that a yacht was a necessity and not a luxury for the Head of our great British Commonwealth.' The Britannia then made its maiden voyage to Malta.

As a living, working royal naval ship, The Royal Yacht Britannia not only undertook many voyages for royal holidays. It also transported members of the family to and from their royal duties. In 1986 Britannia assisted displaced citizens during civil war conflicts in Yemen.  In 1995 the Queen travelled on board the Britannia for her historic visit of South Africa. This was her first visit since the abolishment of Apartheid. In 1997, Britannia became the centrepiece of the hand over ceremony in Hong Kong. It was also in 1997 the announcement on the decommissioning of the Royal Yacht Britannia was made.

During the official paying out ceremony, a tearful Queen Elizabeth II paid tribute to the yacht she loved. She said 'Together with members of my family, Prince Philip and I join you today to pay tribute to BRITANNIA and give our thanks to all who have been part of her Company. Looking back over 44 years we can all reflect with pride and gratitude upon this great ship which has served the country, the Royal Navy and my family with such distinction. BRITANNIA has provided magnificent support to us throughout this time, playing such an important role in the history of the second half of this century.'

The Britannia is now a national treasure and is open to the public. The Royal Yacht Britannia Trust allows visitors to "Follow in the footsteps of Kings and Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers". For more information...

Official Royal Website
Official Website for The Royal Yacht Britannia

lizzie2106

I visited it :happy: it was great :thumbsup:

Go Zara!! :thumbsup: :woo:

Windsor

In Pictures: Mer Majesty's Yatch Britannia

Jennifer

I think the yacht still looks great, even though it is not in service anymore. It is interesting that vessel hosted four honeymoons for the Queen's sister, children and their spouses.

QuoteEverything you need to know about Queen Elizabeth's Yacht Britannia

In service from 1954 until 1997, HMY Britannia is the former royal yacht of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. She was the 83rd such vessel since King Charles II acceded to the British throne in 1660 and had HMY Mary built for him by the Dutch East India Company, and the second royal yacht to bear the name, the first being a racing cutter built for the Prince of Wales in 1893.

During her 43-year career, the yacht travelled more than a million nautical miles around the globe. Today, she is an award-winning visitor attraction and evening events venue permanently berthed at Ocean Terminal, Leith, in Edinburgh.

HMY Britannia was built in Scotland at the shipyard of John Brown & Co. Ltd. in Clydebank, West Dumbartonshire. It was launched by the Queen on 16 April 1953 and commissioned on 11 January 1954.

Read  more:
Everything you need to know about Queen Elizabeth's Yacht Britannia – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston