What Dukedom will Prince Harry get ?

Started by georgiana996, December 22, 2012, 03:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgiana996

What Dukedom will Prince Harry get after his/on his  wedding  :hmm:
what are the  titles left will he get to be an earl as well..? :windsor1:

It has long been the custom of British Sovereigns to bestow a Dukedom on their sons and on the sons of their heirs.  Over the past century this has come to be associated with the marriage of those various princes.
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

Sandor

My guess is Sussex or Clarence.
(Unless Prince Phillip is gone by then, in which case he might get Edinburgh.  I know it's been said that Edward will one day get Edinburgh, but I don't see Charles agreeing to that).

princessy

i don't think Charles that mean Sussex  :hehe:

oh oh oh
Essex, now that piss off his made in Chelsea friends
need funny sig but it'll have to wait

georgiana996

Eri

Duke of Essex seems likely ...but it would be too cool if he gets Phil's but it seems Edward will get it...

As Edward's 1999 marriage approached, experts suggested the former royal dukedoms of Cambridge and Sussex as the most likely to be granted to him. Instead, the Palace announced that Prince Edward would eventually succeed to the title Duke of Edinburgh, currently held by his father.[25] In the meantime, in keeping with the tradition of a monarch's son receiving a title upon marriage, but preserving the rank of duke for the future, Prince Edward became the first British prince in centuries to be specifically created an earl, rather than a duke.

cinrit

Wouldn't Charles have to give the Duke of Edinburgh title to Edward ... if it is to be given to him at all?  As Prince Philip's oldest son, traditionally he will inherit the title when Philip passes on.  Unless an exception is made.  And would there have to be LP for the exception?  I think this is probably a question for Windsor.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Diamonds

^ @cindy The way that I heard it is that Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh after it reverts back to the crown. Meaning that Charles will get the title when his father passes on and then when he becomes King he will give to title to his brother.

Eri

Not to make this about Edward but while everyone wonders why he is Earl and not Duke it seems like I posted that HE asked to be Earl in an extraordinary move plus he was promised Phil's Title and if they promised and always say he WILL get it it means they can pull it off!!!

princessy

off topic again id imagine queen would give it to him if Philip dies first.
need funny sig but it'll have to wait

amabel

re the general issue of these titles, previously the royal dukedoms usually reverted to the crown, since people didn't often live to father heirs.  The previous Duke of Edinburgh, Alfred, the son of Q Vic had only one son who predeceased him.  so his title reverted to the crown and was revived for Pr Philip.  But now, the junior royals are much more likely to live to old age and Father heirs and the titles will go to them so the number of royal dukedoms for the children of the monarch will be far less.  The Duke of Kent has a son and grandson who will inherit the Kent dukedom, so has the Duke of Gloucester.  Andrew has only daughters so his dukedom of York will revert to the Crown and might be revived for Harry or Williams younger son if he has one.  but what will happen, in later years?  Will sons of the monarch only perhaps get an ordinary title as a mark of "marital status"?

Windsor

Quote from: cinrit on December 22, 2012, 09:42:29 PM
Wouldn't Charles have to give the Duke of Edinburgh title to Edward ... if it is to be given to him at all?  As Prince Philip's oldest son, traditionally he will inherit the title when Philip passes on.  Unless an exception is made.  And would there have to be LP for the exception?  I think this is probably a question for Windsor.

Cindy

It is a tricky situation... The Dukedom of Edinburgh will pass to Prince Charles upon the death of Prince Philip. Since 1999 it has been intended for the Earl of Wessex to be created Duke of Edinburgh but this will have to be done when Prince Charles ascends to the throne and the title reverts back to the Crown.

cinrit

Windsor, thanks for the explanation. :)

Cindy

Eri

Wasn't it pretty much announced he would be Duke Of Sussex ? :windsor1: There is an article here somewhere they said Liz is keeping that for him people will have a lot of fun with it Liz knows what she is doing  :hehe:.

georgiana996

I believe the Queen will and can do a lot of things...as she did when she made Edward Earl of Wessex. I just think for the heir's heir she will stay within the confines of history.
i like these lol ...

I'm also fond of Duke of Clarence   :happy15: Cornwall, Cambridge, Clarence???
Duke of Buckingham
Duke of  Albany
Duke of Oxford{so well with William's title of Duke of Cambridge}
Duke of Aberdeen,
Duke of Inverness, or
Duke of Perth?
Duke of Kendal
Duke of Ross
hope they dont give him sussex........ :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Essex, Kent, Mercia, East Anglia and Northumbria. Of these seven titles technically only three are currently in use, Wessex, Kent and Northumbria.
A little lengthy I know, but what do you think?

Windsor

There are many Royal Dukedoms for the Queen to play with. I can very easily see the Queen granting Prince Harry the Dukedom of Clarence or maybe even the Dukedom of Cumberland.  :)

amabel

Oh great a dukedom that's been held by Edw VII's son... or Ernest Duke of Cumberland.

Macrobug

Edward VII son??
The last Duke of Cumberland had his title suspended in 1919
GNU Terry Pratchett

amabel

The last Duke of Clarence was Albert Victor, Edw VII's son, who was mentally slow and dissolute. 

Sandor

True, but all of the titles have been held by people less than heroic....Butcher Cumberland, anyone?

I hope whichever title Harry gets, it doesn't start with a C.
(It's bad enough now, I keep reading Cambridge for Cornwall, etc.)

As for Edward getting the title Duke of Edinburgh, I think if Charles doesn't want him to have it, he can forget it.  (It wouldn't surprise me if we hear that he chose to retain his current title.)   ;)

DaFluffs

@Sandor - I was thinking the same thing.  I've been reading for years that the DofE title is to go to Edward.  I really hope for his sake that Charles doesn't defy the Queen's wishes....

Does anyone see Harry forgoing the title business for his kids the way Princess Anne did hers?  I do.

He has Bea & Eug on one hand and Zara, Peter and Princess Margaret's kids on the other.  Of this group the ones w/out titles seem to be better off....  Surely Prince Harry has noticed this?

georgiana996

@dafluffs i like saying your username :P
I dont think either will or harry likes royalty they want to have and enjoy their money who can blame them ? so lucky harry can walk away.

Eri

Ann is a woman so her Title can't be passed on ...Harry is a man so his children will be Princes/Princesses ...I am sick of hearing how Ann passed on on her children having Titles because that would have never been possible !!! The only thing that could have been done was for Liz to give a minor Title to her husband and Ann's children having a very minor Title that is why she didn't want it anyway...Harry has nothing to do with that situation his children will have Titles from BIRTH no one will have to give it to them like it had to be done for Ann given that she is a WOMAN (unfair but that is the way things work)...the same for The York girls their father is a male so he could pass on his Title to them ...

@ georgiana996 How can he ''walk away"? And why would he want to?  :hmm:

cinrit

Princess Anne doesn't have any titles to pass on.  A title was offered to her husband at the time, Mark Phillips, but he declined ... maybe on the advice (or wish) of Princess Anne.  I think maybe what you're thinking of is her children not having titles, which is actually that under the terms of Letters Patent (George V?), they were not eligible to be called Prince or Princess.  Had Mark Phillips accepted a title, Peter Phillips would have been eligible to inherit it.

I don't think either of the York girls is eligible to inherit Andrew's title, unless an exception is made.

Cindy

Eri

^ Exactly !!! Harry has nothing to do with Ann ...I don't get the "Ann is so humble" thing she just couldn't pass anything to her children period!!! Plus who knows her husband might not have wanted it maybe she had nothing to do with it...

amabel

Anne isn't "humble" but she is someone who is not that into the whole Royal thing.  She could have had a title for her husband (or herself) which would pass to her son, just as Antony Armstrong Jones was given an earldom.. but she and Mark P chose not to have one.  Its reputed that the QUeen really wanted her to have a title to pass to Peter but she and Mark preferred their family to be untitled and make their own way in the world, as they have doen pretty successfully.