Great article about the Hachi dress

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, October 15, 2017, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

https://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/image7.jpeg

A nice recollection about one of her most iconic dresses, its a shame she didnt do any pictures in it with her hair slicked back, I always found she went from cute and adorable to chic and sexy(remember that picture with her against a wall,hair slicked back and black dress by Patrick Demarchelier)  when she did that, and it would have matched that dress so well.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

I remember this dress. How could the Aussie press call Diana, DIANA, 'demure' and 'frumpy'? It's an offence against nature and the frumpy thing was usually a term used against Fergie. Perhaps there wasn't time for her hairdresser to experiment much with her hair. The Wales's schedule in Oz was usually jam-packed.

She looked fantastic. The gown was sheer perfection. The only thing I will say though is that if that gala dinner had happened today I think Diana's shoes (perhaps a pair of strappy sandals in a contrasting colour) and clutch would probably have been different. They have such cute clutches around today. She would have really revelled in the accessories of the 2000's, I think.

Duch_Luver_4ever

She used much of the same wardrobe in Canada that year, and sadly she got the same calls of being frumpy and her wardrobe being "too old" for her. People forget that with the fashion of the time, plus her finding her fashion legs, and being mindful of not having any wardrobe mishaps, and being eager to impress the RF, I think she "err'd" if one could say that, I disagree, on the respectful side, and given the diffrence in attention she got vs her husband in Wales in 81, etc. that shed try and cut a duller fashion to not outshine her husband too much.

I dont think she took out the Hachi dress in Canada though, sadly. Our American neighbors got to see it in 85, though to great effect. It would still turn heads today, with said accessories @Curryong mentioned, im not much help in that regard for info, although im sure the press would now say shes too old for it, were she around.

The story in the article is interesting on the designer himself, and his sad demise, as well as the story of the purchase of the dress at the first auction. To top it all off the magazine was having a giveaway of the dress itself and a book from the auction itself!!!

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

One of my favorites and I prefer it to the Elvis dress.

amabel

I'm not crazy about it. I don't think the oneshoulder bare looks good in that particular dress, perhasps because Diana was so thin. 

sandy

I liked the gown and I think it looked great on her.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Of course, as i suspected the ppl who like and dislike are about spot on as I figured....I will concede that when she was at her thinnest, anything showing her shoulders would draw attention to it, such as the blue one shouldered one she wore at the Birthright event in 82, and of course she looked healthier in the last few years then back then.

But she did look wonderful with her tanned skin against the bright white of the dress, and it was the first time we saw her in something so slinky, as say compared to the first Emanuel dress which was more revealing than slinky.

I agree @TLLK I like it better than the Elvis dress, not to knock Catherine Walker I liked in general all of the one shouldered dresses, including the ones she made for her.

sandy

That blue dress with the ruffles she wore in the Fall 1982 really showed the bulimia effects and the thin arms. She was looking healthier when she wore the white Hachi gown.  Diana seemed very partial to the Hachi gown and wore it for a photo shoot.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=864&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=princess+diana+showing+bulimia+symptoms+1982&oq=princess+diana+showing+bulimia+symptoms+1982&gs_l=psy-ab.3...21241.21902.0.22116.5.5.0.0.0.0.135.364.0j3.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.0.0....0.EIMc00qD2t4#imgrc=SzsLzx9SmOXGQM:

Curryong

I think the Elvis dress was a bit OTT and certainly very much of its time. Diana got the rather gaudy gowns out of her system with that one, IMO! I liked Diana a lot in blue. She looked wonderful in almost everything in that colour including the one shouldered gown in 1982. I agree though that white was also her shade. Many blondes look either washed-out or overly tanned (as if they've been roasted on a spit) but Diana never did.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Dont get me wrong I like the Elvis dress as an example of her being stylish, and i agree it was so late 80s. Its just not my choice if I could choose one evening dress to see her in. Blue was her color for sure, and it could work day or evening, (one of my fav blue dresses was the one she wore a lot in 83 with white flowers and a diagonal line across it with some of the flowers drifting to the other side) I do like lilac/lavender/purple on her the best, but it doesnt work well in evening wear.

I would have liked to see her wear that dress again from 82 when she was healthier, cause her lacl of tan and size then drew all attention from everything else.

She did look good in white, I think she took so well to a tan that it suited her well. Catherine made her a dress similar I find to the Hachi, among some others she wore. It may not have been really white but the one she wore with kind of caramel stripes to the Garter ceremony with the hat with the bow in front looked nice as well.

dianab

i've alaways found the elvis dress one of her best dresses... not suprising it was from 1989

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on October 17, 2017, 04:52:33 PM
That blue dress with the ruffles she wore in the Fall 1982 really showed the bulimia effects and the thin arms. She was looking healthier when she wore the white Hachi gown.  Diana seemed very partial to the Hachi gown and wore it for a photo shoot.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=864&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=princess+diana+showing+bulimia+symptoms+1982&oq=princess+diana+showing+bulimia+symptoms+1982&gs_l=psy-ab.3...21241.21902.0.22116.5.5.0.0.0.0.135.364.0j3.3.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.0.0....0.EIMc00qD2t4#imgrc=SzsLzx9SmOXGQM:
Thank you @sandy. This is another one of my favorites.