The Education and preparation of the Wales Children

Started by TLLK, March 24, 2017, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 08, 2017, 12:50:46 AM
I like the fact that George shall be referred to as George Cambridge. At least he knows that his father is the Duke of Cambridge.
And it is similar to how school staff and fellow classmates referred to William and Harry when they were in school. There they were known as William and Harry Wales.

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 04:18:24 AM

Quote from: Curryong on September 08, 2017, 01:10:13 AM
^ I can't remember my first day at school. I must have blanked it out  :D though I don't think I cried, just silently absorbed it all I suppose. That first step into the world away from the safety of home and Mum and Dad is always a bit scary I'm sure, for youngsters all round the world. As is that first day at senior/High School of course, as well as for those children whose parents move around a lot because of their jobs. One of my sons in law attended a dozen schools during his childhood. Still, at least these kids get a chance to attend school. Many in the Third World and in war zones don't, unfortunately.
I don't recall the actual first day but I do have some memories of pre-school: singing, games, art, stories.

My mother had a similar situation to your son-in-law because my grandfather's naval career kept them moving back and forth from the Pacific to Atlantic and back to the Pacific fleets. I think she attended at least four different schools in second grade.

I so agree @Curryong that many students do not realize how fortunate they are to even attend school. One of my friends teaches at my kids' high school and works with teens who are newcomers to the U.S. She teaches English for second learners and their education backgrounds vary greatly but for the most part she says that they are very, very respectful of her position and grateful for the opportunity to attend. It's not easy to learn a new language and often a completely different writing system as our school sees many newcomers from Asian nations.

Curryong

Yes, TLLK. I can well believe it. In the community centre where I work there are many adult migrants from rural villages in Afghanistan and the Sudan, here in Oz on humanitarian visas. Very little education in some cases, especially with the females, two or three years at the village school, if that. We have one Sudanese lady who still struggles with the language but all five of her children are at school here, one daughter is going to university and a son will too in a year or so.

sara8150

Lamb Ragout! Salmon Fillets! Take a Peek at His New School's Decadent Lunch Menu
Prince George's Decadent School Lunch Menu

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 04:22:35 PM

Grandpa Prince Charles Says Prince George's Back-to-School Nerves Are 'Character Building'
Prince Charles on Prince George's Back-to-School Nerves

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 04:23:34 PM

What Prince George's Classmates Will Call Him at School — and the Last Name He'll Use
What Last Name Will Prince George Use at School?

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 04:25:48 PM

Prince Charles says 'anxious' George's first day of school will have been 'character building'
Prince Charles gives his say on Prince George's first day of school

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 04:37:37 PM

Prince George is NOT allowed a best friend at exclusive school, according to insider info
Royal Prince George is not allowed a best friend at new school, according to insider info | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: September 08, 2017, 09:40:46 PM

Prince Charles Talks Grandson Prince George's First Day of School: 'Poor Little Thing'
Prince Charles Talks About Prince George First Day of School - Us Weekly

LouisFerdinand

How many years will George be at Thomas's Battersea School?

Curryong

For as long as George's parents want him to be there, I suppose, if he thrives there. After the new baby's born there will be a lot of Royal duties for the Cambridges, leading into a life as Prince and Princess of Wales.

It might not be possible, or convenient for them to have growing children at home at KP or Anmer while they are on tour or performing joint evening engagements. There's a limit IMO to how long children can be left to the supervision of staff (even Maria) or even grandparents during term times.

IMO that is more likely to impact on how old George and Char are when they go off to boarding school than their parents' personal preference. It's not much good taking the Wessexes as a template (Louise attends a day school near Windsor) simply because their future roles are going to be so different.

dianab

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 21, 2017, 01:16:10 AM
How many years will George be at Thomas's Battersea School?
i think this school goes up to 13 and the Thomas's Kensington up to 11 (maybe it's one of reasons because they picked the Battersea school)

I dont think G & C will be in a boarding school at all

sara8150

Are William and Kate planning to shun Eton for George? Insiders reveal royals want a modern co-education for the Prince instead of an all-boys school
Prince George set to attend a co-education school | Daily Mail Online
We have wait and see if Wills and Kate have approved for George get in Eton College likes his dad and Uncle Harry because Wills and Harry plus his uncle the 9th Earl Charles Spencer and grandfather 8th Charles Spencer went there but Kate wanted break traditions away from Eton College no matters for Wills and Kate chosen for kids's education and also security requirements for youngsters need!!

Curryong

We will have to see. William was very happy at Eton, made lots of friends and did quite well academically. Harry struggled academically and socially, so the report is mixed there. It does have one huge advantage for George. Windsor Castle is quite near and as George gets into his mid teens he could easily stroll over for tea and some lessons on the constitution from his grandparent as William did.

However, Kate enjoyed Marlborough, which is co-ed, and she does seem to want to keep her offspring together sharing educational experiences, so my guess is that George and Char and maybe number three are all Marlborough bound. Lucky college!

I've banged on forever about the need for British royals to have at least a couple of foreign languages under their belt and I still think it's a darned shame that foreign boarding schools in Switzerland or France (like the one Frederik and Joachim went to) with pupils from all over the world,  aren't ever considered.

TLLK

^^^ I agree that the Windsors need to polish those foreign language skills. It's possible that George, Charlotte and baby Cambridge might spend a term away from home like their grandfather Charles and Great-uncles Andrew and Edward did while they were in school. I believe that after Diana's death, any of those plans were shelved. However both brothers did do work overseas as a gap year.  :)

Curryong

Yes, TLLK,  but Charles, Andrew and Edward went to schools in the Commonwealth, in Edward's case during his gap year when he was a housemaster at a boarding school in NZ. Of course the Commonwealth will always be vitally important to the BRF. However, I am thinking in terms of a couple of years at a prestigious international boarding school in their mid teens for the Cambridge children, perhaps in Switzerland or France.

LouisFerdinand

Which foreign languages would be good for Prince George to study?

TLLK

^^^French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin would be excellent choices IMHO.

Curryong

I think that, unlike his father and copying his great-grandmother, it would be great if George learned to speak fluent French. It is after all one of the main languages spoken in Canada. Perhaps an African dialect or two as Africa has loomed large in the lives of his uncle and father via their environmental activities.

I definitely think another main European language would be an advantage, (German, Spanish perhaps) as would Mandarin. However the younger British royals are notorious for not bothering to learn any foreign language in their post school life and I would be happy to at least see George speaking French without an English accent.

LouisFerdinand

wannable

Even royalty can't escape rush hour! Kate is snapped stuck in traffic at the wheel of her Range Rover while on the school run in London

Read more: Kate Middleton caught in traffic on the school run | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on January 19, 2018, 08:03:51 PM
Even royalty can't escape rush hour! Kate is snapped stuck in traffic at the wheel of her Range Rover while on the school run in London

Read more: Kate Middleton caught in traffic on the school run | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
I know that in Southern California and in other nations ie Spain the paparazzi regularly would stalk the school gates to try and snap photos of the parents and children of well known public figures, so I'm not surprised that they caught a photo of Kate on her way for pick up. Now to try and take a photo of a child without their parents' permission would likely land them in some trouble though.

The situation in SoCal was so difficult that this bill was written.

:: Home

QuoteBoth bills listed below were signed into law by California Governor Brown on September 30, 2014.

California Assembly Bill 1256 (AB 1256) - Privacy and Buffer Zones:

AB 1256 amends the California Privacy Law to include within the definition of ?personal and familial activity? activities of children occurring at private and public schools, activities occurring at various medical facilities, and activities occurring where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists at other locations. It also creates a new section in the law that creates buffer zones around entrances and exits at specified facilities, including schools and medical facilities, to prevent barriers and obstructions from impeding ingress and egress to and from such facilities, and to prevent the interruption of important and vital functions of such facilities.

Full language of bill:   AB 1256
Official bill Fact Sheet:   AB 1256 Fact Sheet

California Assembly Bill 1356 (AB 1356) - Stalking Reform:

AB 1356 amends the California Civil Stalking Law to include as actionable placing someone "under surveillance" in a way that causes ?substantial emotional distress," if all other elements of the law are proved. Licensed private investigators, law enforcement agencies and some other organizations and purposes for surveillance are exempt (see full language of bill for complete details). 

Full language of bill:   AB 1356
Official bill Fact Sheet:   AB 1356 Fact Sheet

wannable

Paparazzi follow the subject, most hangout in scooters. That's how they sell pictures and information, date and time. When, what, where etc.

TLLK

Yes @wannable it was really a terrible issue at the schools where public figures had enrolled their children. Parents of other students found it difficult to park and meet their students or to drop them off before school began.

Duch_Luver_4ever

The whole "news" part of the story was her stuck in traffic, supposedly like joe six pint. Maybe ppl assume that the royals with their security detachment and requirements have a way to bypass traffic, like those controllers that first responders have to change the lights. With the recent trend to truck and car attacks, it might be time to examine that, as if thats a recurring thing, it could be exploited by bad guys.

As for the picking up from school, no shes not the first, but if she wasnt doing an engagement that day, its the "shot of the day" as the paps like to get. But my take on it was the whole traffic jam part of it.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

QuoteYes Duch, the paparazzi sold the picture, they need to tell where, when date/time.  Many of these photographers use a scooter to follow their subjects, for more money, more details.

IMO school pick ups in large urban areas like Los Angeles, Madrid,  London are a golden opportunity for the paparazzi based in those cities because of their predictable start/end times.

TLLK

QuoteFive-year-old George will also be more confident returning to the same school hallways and playground he has got to know over the past year. Year One will be a little scary ? meeting a new teacher and settling into a new classroom, but some things will remain the same, such as his school uniform, his classmates and his friends. He will also be reunited with his cousin Maud, the five-year-old daughter of Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor.[/quote

Hope that the teachers and students at St. Thomas Battersea and across the UK have a wonderful start to the school year. :)

Curryong

I can still remember my primary school years, both the good and the bad, and the growing of confidence year by year. I'm sure George will be the same, with familiar surroundings and classmates. It is the first year that's always the scariest.

TLLK

@Curryong-I agree that the first year is the most anxious for most students and it's always a pleasure to see the shy and timid little ones grow in confidence.

LouisFerdinand

If the students are required to have a middle name listed, does George use only Alexander or does he use both Alexander and Louis?