Queen Tells Scots to 'Think Very Carefully' About Independence Vote

Started by cinrit, September 14, 2014, 05:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Queen has made a dramatic and highly unusual intervention in the referendum debate to urge voters to think "very carefully" before they vote on Thursday.  The comment, to members of the public waiting outside Crathie Church, appeared to be a deliberate move on her part.

She normally walks in and out of the small church from her car, while on holiday at nearby Balmoral Castle, without talking to bystanders.  But before she left the kirk on Sunday, a police sergeant invited members of the press waiting 200 yards away to come up to the church to see the royal party depart.

The Queen was photographed saying something to a small group of three four Scots, and a similar number of English visitors, in the crowd.

She is understood to have remarked that "you have an important vote on Thursday", before adding: "I hope everybody thinks very carefully about the referendum this week".

More: Queen tells Scots to 'think very carefully' about independence vote - Telegraph

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Eri

Izabella

Quoteappeared to be a deliberate move on her part.
Really, Sherlock? Y' think?   :lol: :knit:

cate1949

should not have done that - implication is dumb scots don't know they should be thinking carefully about this

if HM was going to break her rules and say something - she should have appealed to common sacrifices made by the scots and English  or common history - something that was not going to be taken as an insult

Eri

She is not implying Scots are dumb just that this is an important decision and there is no going back so they should think long and hard ...

cate1949

I doubt she meant to do that - but it can and will be interpreted that way - the Scots have been told by so many that they are too dub to runt heir own country (in more polite words) and aren't really thinking so often now that it is clear they are becoming sensitive to this

Did you see the idiotic ad that the better together campaign put up - the housewife cup of tea ad - it was so insulting so sexist - caused an uproar.

Eri

What is the point of her being Queen of the United Kingdom if she can't speak up about it's fate?  <_< So I am glad she did ... some are lucky I am not in her position had it been me I would have made a TV broadcast but that is why Liz is Queen and I am not   :teehee: ...

cinrit

QuotePro-Union MPs Hail 'Astute' Queen for Her Plea to Voters: Her Majesty Heralded for Her 'Carefully Calculated' Appeal for People to Exercise Caution in Referendum

The Queen was last night heralded as 'Queen Astute' for her 'carefully calculated' appeal for voters to exercise caution in the Scottish independence referendum.  Pro-Union MPs roundly applauded Her Majesty's call for voters to think 'carefully' about how they vote in Thursday's referendum – with many interpreting her words as clear support for keeping Scotland in the UK.

Scottish Nationalists denied furiously that her remarks represented a challenge to the No campaign, however – with First Minister Alex Salmond insisting the Queen was 'absolutely impartial'.

The 88-year-old monarch made her much-debated remark on Sunday after attending a service at Crathie Kirk near her Scottish home of Balmoral.  Her Majesty took the unusual step of not only stopping to talk to 40 well-wishers but also inviting the Press over, commenting: 'I hope everybody thinks very carefully about the referendum this week.'

More: Pro-Union MPs hail 'astute' Queen for her plea to voters: Her Majesty heralded for her 'carefully calculated' appeal for people to exercise caution in

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.