Rededication of Diana's grave on July 1, 2017

Started by TLLK, June 28, 2017, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend a private service to re-dedicate the grave of Diana, Princess of Wales at Althorp House on Saturday 1 July.

The service, which will fall on what would have been the Princess's birthday, will be conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury and attended by her family. (Family expected to be present: Sons, daughter-in-law, grandchildren, siblings, nephews and nieces etc..)

Curryong

I'm so glad to see this service of rededication happening. Although I believe that Diana was secretly reinterred, some time after the funeral, in the family church, and is no longer in that rather soggy plot on the island I think a family get-together at Althorp is perfect.

George and Char are going to grow up knowing about their grandmother, although of course they understand very little yet. But how fitting that they, their mother and Diana's boys will be there for the service. I'm glad to that the Archbishop is adding his presence. Diana's sisters, brother, nieces, nephews will be there too, I expect.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thanks @TLLK  Such a fitting time on a day to celebrate her birth rather than in Aug or Sept. Over here its Canadas 150th birthday that day, but for the last 19 of them, its always been a bittersweet day for me.

I havent seen any news about the renovations to her site besides the original announcement, maybe they will start to filter out after this ceremony.

While I was typing, I agree with @Curryong on her final resting place.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

I actually think that is a wonderful idea for her family to have a re-dedication of her grave. Whoever thought about it  and organized did a great job.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

FanDianaFancy

Good. Private.  Spencers-Mc-F  and  PW and his family  and PH  ONLY.
ArchBishop of Canterbury, appropriate.  YES, a  religious head  of the church.  THEE  ArchofCantar, YES!

No paps. Security  at  PRIVATE Althrope.
A  very relaxed  place  and  being  around  very  relaxing people-Spencer Clan. GOOD!!
Private  dinner/buffet  inside  Althrope  ...most likely. Relaxed clothing  worn  by  PK and PW and their kids...PH  and the Spencers.  Good!  And  I am  a  fan  f PD and  I  like the inside  scoops,  pictures,  but  I  have a feeling there will be no pictures released of   of  PW and  his family  , OH  aand the Spencers-McQ's-Fellowes.
PD  's sisters and brother  sharing stories  and pictures  to  PW, PK,  PH and the Spencer-Mc-Fellowes  cousins.

All  very  approapriate and very  private and on her birthday( DOB)  and not  (DOD)

Good  for them  all.

amabel

but if she had been re interred, why would they re dedicate the grave?  it would be ridiciulous to take up the time of a bishop, performing a ceremony when there is no need.

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on June 28, 2017, 05:02:28 PM
I'm so glad to see this service of rededication happening. Although I believe that Diana was secretly reinterred, some time after the funeral, in the family church, and is no longer in that rather soggy plot on the island I think a family get-together at Althorp is perfect.

George and Char are going to grow up knowing about their grandmother, although of course they understand very little yet. But how fitting that they, their mother and Diana's boys will be there for the service. I'm glad to that the Archbishop is adding his presence. Diana's sisters, brother, nieces, nephews will be there too, I expect.

I'm agreed with you!! But I don't think paparazzi and media wouldn't allowed publish pictures out of respective for Princes William and Harry plus Spencer family also till says ok with that to publish magazine and newspaper from palace

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:13:50 PM

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on June 28, 2017, 07:22:18 PM
Good. Private.  Spencers-Mc-F  and  PW and his family  and PH  ONLY.
ArchBishop of Canterbury, appropriate.  YES, a  religious head  of the church.  THEE  ArchofCantar, YES!

No paps. Security  at  PRIVATE Althrope.
A  very relaxed  place  and  being  around  very  relaxing people-Spencer Clan. GOOD!!
Private  dinner/buffet  inside  Althrope  ...most likely. Relaxed clothing  worn  by  PK and PW and their kids...PH  and the Spencers.  Good!  And  I am  a  fan  f PD and  I  like the inside  scoops,  pictures,  but  I  have a feeling there will be no pictures released of   of  PW and  his family  , OH  aand the Spencers-McQ's-Fellowes.
PD  's sisters and brother  sharing stories  and pictures  to  PW, PK,  PH and the Spencer-Mc-Fellowes  cousins.

All  very  approapriate and very  private and on her birthday( DOB)  and not  (DOD)

Good  for them  all.

No publish pictures out of respect for Princes William and Harry plus Spencer family also till says ok with that or says NO you cant argue with that!

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:19:05 PM

Princes William and Harry to attend re-dedication service at Princess Diana's grave
http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/02017062836941/prince-william-harry-princess-diana-rededicate-grave/

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:22:26 PM

William, Kate and Harry to attend a private service to re-dedicate Princess Diana's grave on what would have been her 56th birthday
William, Kate and Harry to re-dedicate Diana's grave | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:24:23 PM

Princes William and Harry to attend service at Diana's grave
Princes William and Harry to attend service at Diana's grave - BBC News

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:25:51 PM

Prince William and Harry to rededicate Diana's grave in private service on her birthday
Prince William and Harry to rededicate Diana's grave in private service on her birthday

Double post auto-merged: June 28, 2017, 08:30:06 PM

Prince William and Harry to re-dedicate Diana's grave in private service
Prince William and Harry to re-dedicate Diana?s grave in private service | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Curryong

^ ^ We don't know whether the rededication on the island will be part of the Archbishop's duties on the day. It's all strictly private so we don't know. He may very well be there to bless the spot as a place of private retreat, prayer and contemplation. He almost certainly will be conducting a formal memorial service for the family, and this could take place inside Althorp itself. The Spencers don't have a private chapel so far as I know, but they certainly have enough rooms!

royalanthropologist

You know I have never agreed with Charles' Spencer's decisions for the funeral. They were all based on emotional responses rather than pragmatic decision-making. In his bitterness and search for somewhere to place the blame; he failed to see the wood from the trees.  Diana had been offered (posthumously) her HRH title. The royals did not like her but were at least trying to make some amends, albeit reluctantly.

He threw it all back at them in that funeral speech and he ensured that forever, there would be awkwardness about the royal family celebrating Diana's life.  She could have been interred at Frogmore or even Westminster Abbey had Charles Spencer not allowed his emotions to rule his head. Ironically the end result was that those people that loved and supported Diana were excluded. They had to pay a fee to visit the grave.

Perhaps all along they wanted something private and this is their chance to do it. Because it is a strictly Spencer family and friends affair, nobody will be on that service under duress or even to keep up appearances. That is what a proper memorial is supposed to be. Not one that is attended by people who do not like you or even actually despise you but are forced to attend for PR reasons.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

its not at all clear whether the queen did offer to restore Diana's HRH and I think that in any case it was not advisable to restore it... 
And I think it would have been wrong for di to be buried among the RF, it is much better that she was buried privately in her own home..
Of course the Spencers wanted her buried privately, but they felt that given how the public had shown grief and love for her, it was only right to agree to a public serrivice so that they could say goodbye to her.. and then she could be interred in privacy among her own people.. as I'm sure she would have wished...

sara8150

Curryong,amabel and royalanthropologist,

Spencer family don't wanted intived paparazzi and media due Diana's death and I'm guaranteed they banned because haunted of Diana for more decades since 1981-1997

I don't think Spencer Familly have memorial service

When Diana's brother mentions at her funeral in 1997 and I'm hate to says he told his Royal nephew William and Harry for his mother's legend and mores but Spencer family really wanted Diana buried at Althorp where she raise from and Diana will remain as people's princess and queen's hearts..

FanDianaFancy

All good  points by  everyone. 
I only hope, for  history's sake,  when  W is KofE, he  will  have  his mother placed  in  honor  due to her rank,  HIS MOHTER.
Keep in mind many  of us will here will be  dead  or  in our mid 80's.  QEII  will be dead. PC will be  dead. CSpencer, current Earl , will be dead. His  son will be  an adult and even as  Earl, may not resist.
W will be King and he will be about  in  his early 60's.
This  would be  about  20-25 years  from now. 

Trudie

I am so happy that this time on the 20th anniversary William and Harry will be able to privately be able to celebrate the life of their mother with the people that loved their mother. The 10 year anniversary has to be more public as they couldn't have a proper memorial service in '97 when she died to celebrate her life as they were children and all the inquiries in surrounding her death.

William and Harry will honor their mother with a statue in KP and are it appears to be honoring not only a beloved Princess but their beloved mother as they should without the Palace interfering.

sara8150

sandy

Quote from: amabel on June 29, 2017, 05:25:26 AM
its not at all clear whether the queen did offer to restore Diana's HRH and I think that in any case it was not advisable to restore it... 
And I think it would have been wrong for di to be buried among the RF, it is much better that she was buried privately in her own home..
Of course the Spencers wanted her buried privately, but they felt that given how the public had shown grief and love for her, it was only right to agree to a public serrivice so that they could say goodbye to her.. and then she could be interred in privacy among her own people.. as I'm sure she would have wished...

I am not so sure this is true. First of all I think it would have been more up to her direct heirs: William and Harry and not Charles Spencer.

Probably down the road, William will restore the title posthumously when he is monarch

Curryong

Yes. The times that William and Harry catch up with the Spencer side of the family are few and far between nowadays, and I'm sure it will be a significant if sad occasion on Saturday.

sandy

The cousins will probably be there. I understand Diana's grandchildren will be taken there too.

SophieChloe

Let's hope the only Middleton there will be Kate. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

royalanthropologist

@Trudie. I rather doubt that the palace is interested in the rededication. It is not really nothing to do with them. Diana's family and their friends are remembering her. I just wish people would leave it at that instead of continuously  trying to rope in other members of the royal family who would frankly rather forget about Diana altogether. It always seem as if there is this constant desire to put a negative spin on anything and everything. Why would the palace play any part in Diana's rededication? Makes no sense at all?

amabel

Quote from: sandy on June 29, 2017, 07:12:20 PM
Quote from: amabel on June 29, 2017, 05:25:26 AM

I am not so sure this is true. First of all I think it would have been more up to her direct heirs: William and Harry and not Charles Spencer.

Probably down the road, William will restore the title posthumously when he is monarch
since will and Harry were only children when Diana died, it was goig to be up to Charles S as the nearest adult male relative, to decide.

Trudie

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 30, 2017, 04:06:26 AM
@Trudie. I rather doubt that the palace is interested in the rededication. It is not really nothing to do with them. Diana's family and their friends are remembering her. I just wish people would leave it at that instead of continuously  trying to rope in other members of the royal family who would frankly rather forget about Diana altogether. It always seem as if there is this constant desire to put a negative spin on anything and everything. Why would the palace play any part in Diana's rededication? Makes no sense at all?

Again William and Harry were children when Diana died it didn't matter what their opinions were the palace interfered and at the time of the 10 year memorial again the palace was involved as Willliam and Harry sought to bring both families together, at the time they were using Charles office and staff. Now that it is the 20 year anniversary both William and Harry are both in their thirties they can honor their mother anyway they want to as they have their own offices and staff and no longer have to use Charles office and staff. So it totally makes sense

Curryong

A 1997 BBC report on the question of Diana's HRH being restored posthumously. It mentions a train journey made by Prince Charles and others like the then Sir Robert Fellowes, and the Spencers. I've read somewhere else that the two Charles's became furious with each other on that journey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/diana/hrh.html

royalanthropologist

@Trudie. Apart from William and Harry, members of the royal family were never really interested in celebrating or even taking part in Diana memorials. At the funeral Charles wanted to give her a decent burial but that was thrown back in his face with the likes of Charles Spencer and the so called Diana fans who were looking for someone to blame.

Then came the memorial. Diana's friend Rosa Monckton was given free reign together with the Labor government (that Labor government that had participated in the shameful bullying of the queen in the run up to the funeral) to come up with a monument or memorial. They made a hash of it; but somehow the royals braced themselves and appeared at the opening. Then the so called Diana fans started complaining that it must have been a royal plot after all, not to do a suitable monument for Diana (they do like their conspiracy theories- this lot). Some on the DM comments section even suggested replacing Queen Victoria's statue with Diana's (as if any one that mattered would consider replacing the "grandmother of Europe" with a divorced ex in law who had done all in her limited power to unsuccessfully destroy the Windsor/Saxe Coburg dynasty).

In 2007 (if the stories are to be believed); William and Harry tried to do a reconciliation event that would try to heal the old wounds and celebrate Diana as a national figure that transcended petty family wrangles. Once again the so called Diana fans stepped in and decided that it was all about them. They made a fuss (led by Rosa Monckton) and Camilla withdrew (despite being expressly invited by her step sons) The rest of the royal family appeared, but under implicit duress and barely disguised hostility. I rather suspect that it was not a pleasant or uplifting experience for them.

I believe that was the very last time the royal family wanted anything to do with Diana memorials. This was an ex daughter in law whom they had never liked or gotten along with. She had done her best to destroy them and one of their own (Charles). It is a testament to the delusional thinking of some so called Diana fans that they assume that after all that palava; the royal family is dying to be associated with another Diana memorial. They wanted none of it in the first place and are well glad that Diana's family can now do as they please.

When the royal family is left to do memorials; it does them rather well. The QM's funeral service was a stately, dignified affair with none of the aggressive emotional outbursts that had followed the "People's Princess". Even her memorials and statutes are very tasteful events with high quality workmanship. With Diana sadly, her so called fans continuously make it impossible to have any kind of decorum and dignity during her memorials.

For all its worth, I think that a re-dedication with Diana's descendants and the Spencer is right and appropriate. Because it is a private event, they will be able to keep away some of the more excitable so called Diana fans. It has nothing to do with any other member of the royal family (apart from Diana's descendants). I doubt any other member of the royal family will lose any sleep that they are not attending. It quite simply does not figure in their lives.

I am hopeful (but not certain) that the complete withdrawal of Charles and his family from Diana memorials will finally satisfy those fans of hers who have made it impossible to celebrate her life without going back into old battles and recriminations.

sandy

Charles Windsor represented the boys but as her ex husband really had no say in Diana's service.  Charles himself was fearing for his life and whined that "they will blame me." He treated Diana badly in her lifetime so I think it was not only "Diana fans" who criticized him. "A decent burial" sounds like Charles was burying a family pet. William and Harry her sons even though minors  had a say in it , according to various books(they were not tots then) William was 15 years old and could speak for himself and Harry was 12.

THe royals did have some say in the Diana fountain. Rosa was on the Committee. I think the royals did have resistance to the idea of a statue at that point.

No, the boys were not planning a reconciliation involving Camilla they were honoring their deceased mother. Dad was trying to pull the strings and perhaps he wanted to play happy families with Camilla. The boys deal with their high maintenance father  and I think they were hoping Camilla would not go and hijack the purpose of the memorial.  It would be in the papers Camilla this and Camilla that and did Camilla cry and what did she wear and on and on. Diana would be the forgotten one--the purpose of honoring her would be hijacked by a pathetic attempt by Charles to play Happy Families (and it was not the time or the place). What the heck do Diana fans have to do with it?!  It would have been rude and crude for Camilla to walk in (and she would have destroyed much of the PR used for her to try to depict her as a good person).  It's like in the average family where the children of a woman who died tragically wanted to set up a Memorial service. The woman who was instrumental in breaking up the marriage of the dead woman and her husband (the parents of said children) wanted to attend. I could only imagine how the purpose of the service would degenerate and even shouting matches within the family happening. It would turn into a Jerry Springer Spectacular! No way should Camilla have gone there or even though to fit. Charles also had to "inspect" Harry's speech about his mother and this was visible to all watching the service.

I think the boys might have limited it to "descendants" and Spencer relatives  of Diana so Charles and Camilla would not try to lumber in and interfere.

I would not say Charles' fans are such great shakes--Junor seems to be a harpie about DIana and acts like Camilla and Charles are deities. Some fairness here please.

And royals are attending DIana's service: William, Harry, Kate, George, and Charlotte. How regal can it get!

Double post auto-merged: June 30, 2017, 11:45:52 AM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 30, 2017, 04:06:26 AM

The royals can't forget Diana's existence. Royals Harry, William, Kate, George and Charlotte will never let them.

royalanthropologist

Whatever @sandy. I was responding to Trudie's points. As for the other stuff, it is really of limited interest to me.