Equal Succession?

Started by Wombat, January 25, 2006, 06:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wombat

Lords reject equal right to reign ~ Sydney Morning Herald

I think it's about time they changed the current system. It is very discriminatory system and it devalues women in general.  Sweden has an equal system and Denmark has recently changed their laws to accomodate women rulers.  What makes Britain different?  I mean, what better advertising for a female monarch do we need than QEII? :blink:

Lila the Flirt

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Wombat

I wonder what makes the British monarchy unique? :blink:

Beebs

Jenee

Quote from: wombat on January 26, 2006, 06:26:24 AM
I wonder what makes the British monarchy unique? :blink:

Pride? The BM is soooo heaped with tradition and right now its run by (no disrespect intended) a bunch of old people who are probably anti-change. I think that a lot of people think that when you begin to change the monarchy, you begin to loose the monarchy. (which is not at all true)

Look at the situation Japan is in right now though- I mean, are they seriously considering CONCUBINES to produce an heir, over changing the Household law to allow for an Empress?!!?

I think its disgusting that the people in power are so afraid of having a woman ruler. In the case of the British Monarchy, what are they afraid of? The Monarch holds no politcal power anyway!! It blows my mind that men are still trying to hold women down. What happened to equality?
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Wombat

I agree Jen.

The Danish line is one of the oldest royal families in the world....it's steeped in loads of tradition.  If they can change the I can't see why the British can't.

I still think it has something to do with the political influences more than anything else.

I wonder what Charles think of it all? :blink:

T125eagle

well, there have been instances where women are rulers, matilda, mary, elizabeth I, elizabeth II....
Philipite #001 Duke of Windsor ite #001;Harryite # 0028

Jenee

isolated incidents where there have been no other options. that hardly spells equality Eags.

Stix Chix

well there's not much room for equality in a hereditary monarchy!  its not like the 23rd in line has a fair chance at inhereiting either.  much less someone whos not related in anyway to the reigning monarch.  so i cant really call this a woman's rights issue since it concerns such a small percentage of women...just the princesses really!  :royal:
but nothing says "modern monarchy" like allowing the first born (whatever their gender) to inherit the throne.

throwing out some questions....
what problems would occure to allowing first born daughters to inherit?  is it more then a worry over keeping the madien name the family name?

which will come first?  allowing the monarch to have a catholic spouse or allowing daughters to inherit above their younger brothers?   

Harryite #0004

Jenee

I think in the case of England, a women will take the throne before a Catholic. Because the Monarch is the head of the church, I doubt Catholics will every be allowed to marry the heir. can other religions marry into the family w/o the person in line having to step out? because if so, that'll be a whole other issue that pisses me off <_<

Wombat

Act Of Settlement #1.

Act Of Settlement #2.

I think the issue of first born sits on the throne regardless if they're make or female will only become an issue if Wills has a girl first.  Then I think we'll see a change in the UK.

Jenee

unfortunately, i think it will come to that as well. changing the rules will inevitably cause controversy and i don't think the monarchy wants to ruffle feathers unless they have to.

LouisFerdinand

The Succession to the Crown Act 2013 replaced male-preference primogeniture with absolute primogeniture for those born in the line of succession after October 28, 2011.